ATL: MATTHEW - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: INVEST 97L - Discussion

#61 Postby gatorcane » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:32 am

Looking at last night's global models, I see the ECMWF turns the cyclone north beyond 168 hours while the GFS does not. Notice the ECMWF keeps a large mid to upper-level cut-off low meandering around the Eastern US for days while none of the other models show this. Plus once you get beyond 168 hours with the ECMWF in the 192+ hour timeframe, I notice it can change quite a bit. So bottom-line, I wouldn't be surprised if the ECMWF comes more in line with the GFS on the 12Z run later today and the 12Z GFS running now doesn't shift all the way to the right where the ECMWF is at on the 00Z. I could see the GFS shifting right some though but maybe not as much as folks may think. We shall see....
Last edited by gatorcane on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
0 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#62 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:33 am

wxman57 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I see pretty good rotation near 8N/39W this morning (red crosshairs in the image below). No convection there, but good rotation (on TPW loop, too). It still looks like it will be fighting dry air until it moves into the Caribbean, though, so I am somewhat doubtful it will become a tropical storm east of the Caribbean, certainly doubtful of a strong storm or hurricane east of the islands.

Looks like a fair chance it will threaten the ABC islands as a hurricane, which is rare. I'm not so sure it will ever enter the Gulf of Mexico, though. It may well be drawn northward toward the Bahamas. Threat to the central Gulf coast & NW Gulf is looking less possible. Much will depend on where it develops.

http://i67.tinypic.com/30m6bk0.jpg

I know it's still very early in the game but what's your current thoughts on potential threat for S. FL/SE FL?

Definitely could be a Florida threat. Florida and east through the Bahamas may be the most likely track.

North Carolina still a likely destination or you feel it is going OTS?
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#63 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:34 am

Not so sure I buy a strong northward tug on this system, especially when it might be only a few dozen miles off the coast of SA per the 00z ECMWF. 00z EPS shows pretty substantial ridging over the eastern CONUS right now, which is at odds with the operational run showing a trough.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#64 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:43 am

gatorcane wrote:Looking at last night's global models, I see the ECMWF turns the cyclone north beyond 168 hours while the GFS does not. Notice the ECMWF keeps a large mid to upper-level cut-off low meandering around the Eastern US for days while none of the other models show this. Plus once you get beyond 168 hours with the ECMWF in the 192+ hour timeframe, I notice it can change quite a bit. So bottom-line, I wouldn't be surprised if the ECMWF comes more in line with the GFS on the 12Z run later today and the 12Z GFS running now doesn't shift all the way to the right where the ECMWF is at on the 00Z. I could see the GFS shifting right some though but maybe not as much as folks may think. We shall see....

I believe someone on here in the past month or so was saying how the Euro has been trying to develop these anomalous Cut-Off Lows in the vicinity of the SE U.S. in it's long-range all summer and it never pans out, but we shall see.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

setexholmes
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#65 Postby setexholmes » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:16 am

So would this be more of North or western gulf threat if this stays weaker or stronger. I'm just curious what scenario puts this into Texas?
0 likes   
The comments and opinions I make are borderline crazy and should not be taken too seriously. Please consult NOAA for information.

BobHarlem
Category 5
Category 5

#66 Postby BobHarlem » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:22 am

wxman57 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
wxman57 wrote:I see pretty good rotation near 8N/39W this morning (red crosshairs in the image below). No convection there, but good rotation (on TPW loop, too). It still looks like it will be fighting dry air until it moves into the Caribbean, though, so I am somewhat doubtful it will become a tropical storm east of the Caribbean, certainly doubtful of a strong storm or hurricane east of the islands.

Looks like a fair chance it will threaten the ABC islands as a hurricane, which is rare. I'm not so sure it will ever enter the Gulf of Mexico, though. It may well be drawn northward toward the Bahamas. Threat to the central Gulf coast & NW Gulf is looking less possible. Much will depend on where it develops.

http://i67.tinypic.com/30m6bk0.jpg

I know it's still very early in the game but what's your current thoughts on potential threat for S. FL/SE FL?

Definitely could be a Florida threat. Florida and east through the Bahamas may be the most likely track.

That setup would bring some ripe conditions for prolonged rough surf serious erosion on the east coast even if it didn't go into Florida.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#67 Postby psyclone » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:22 am

One thing that seems very likely is that some portion of Cuba is going to get creamed (possibly Jamaica and or the Caymans as well). If it's central or eastern Cuba, the Bahamas would likely be next...but if it's western Cuba, Florida would likely get slammed thereafter. Both scenarios have plenty of historical climo support as we head into October so they seem reasonable to me.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#68 Postby gatorcane » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:41 am

Well with the GFS now recurving this east of Florida and well east of the GOM and the EC with a big recurve things might get a little quiet around here. Here in Florida that GFS run is way too close for comfort.
0 likes   

Cunxi Huang
Category 1
Category 1

#69 Postby Cunxi Huang » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:44 am

0 likes   
2006 SuTY SAOMAI | 2009 TY LINFA | 2010 TY FANAPI | 2010 SuTY MEGI | 2016 SuTY MERANTI | 2019 SuTY LEKIMA
DO NOT use my posts for life and death decisions. For official information, please refer to products from your RSMC and national weather agency.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#70 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:45 am

Cunxi Huang wrote:Image

Its definitely dealing with some sinking air with those outflow boundaries
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#71 Postby abajan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:47 am

Strange how there's been no mention of the Hebert Box as yet. It's pretty much certain that 97L would be a major cane by the time it gets to Hebert Box 2, assuming it goes there. Perhaps most of us aren't aware that there are two Hebert Boxes, not just the one in the Leeward Islands.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#72 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:50 am

1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

HeeBGBz
Category 1
Category 1

#73 Postby HeeBGBz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:53 am

I know this is a long way out yet, but if this went north into the Gulf the timing puts it in the middle of Cruising the Coast. We are expecting thousands of folks and their fancy cars to come to the MS coastline. Could really screw things up. :eek:
1 likes   

Evil Jeremy
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#74 Postby Evil Jeremy » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:58 am

Favorable conditions, definate Caribbean threat and plausible SE-USA threat.... Just brought my tropics bookmark bar back out. It's been quite a season already for Florida, we don't need anything else, thank you.
0 likes   
Frances 04 / Jeanne 04 / Katrina 05 / Wilma 05 / Fay 08 / Debby 12 / Andrea 13 / Colin 16 / Hermine 16 / Matthew 16 / Irma 17

rickybobby
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#75 Postby rickybobby » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Evil Jeremy wrote:Favorable conditions, definate Caribbean threat and plausible SE-USA threat.... Just brought my tropics bookmark bar back out. It's been quite a season already for Florida, we don't need anything else, thank you.

Port orange has received nothing bad. My lake still needs water and I need a few days off from grad school and work. 2004 was a amazing year. Lol
0 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#76 Postby abajan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:28 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:https://twitter.com/tropicaltidbits/status/780078484311990272

As usual, Levi's video was quite informative.
2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#77 Postby cycloneye » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:33 pm

Up to 30%-90%

Showers and thunderstorms associated with a low pressure area about
1500 miles east-southeast of the Windward Islands are showing some
signs of organization. Environmental conditions are expected to be
conducive for gradual development, and a tropical depression is
likely to form later this week while the low moves westward to west-
northwestward at 15 to 20 mph. Interests in the Windward Islands,
the southeastern and south-central Caribbean Sea, as well as the
northern coast of South America, should monitor the progress of this
system.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...30 percent
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...90 percent

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#78 Postby cycloneye » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:44 pm

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#79 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:51 pm

cycloneye wrote:Good discussion by Jeff Masters.

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffM ... -caribbean

looking at the ensembles of the Euro on his page, the Euro ensembles are all over the place and cant be trusted but looking at the current motion I believe that Ajaban should prepare for a storm

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#80 Postby Steve » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:59 pm

HeeBGBz wrote:I know this is a long way out yet, but if this went north into the Gulf the timing puts it in the middle of Cruising the Coast. We are expecting thousands of folks and their fancy cars to come to the MS coastline. Could really screw things up. :eek:

I don't want to ever wish anything bad on Mississippi, so if it's Cruisin the Coast, yeah there will be all kinds of classic cars. However, if it was Scrapin' the Coast... ☠

Just kidding. Great Levi video this morning as per Storms Expert's link. He brings up the interesting idea of the rarity of storm interaction with the North Atlantic Coast of South America which is almost never seen. I think it will be slightly north of there, but it was notable.
1 likes   

Return to “2016”