ATL: MATTHEW - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Vdogg
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: MATTHEW - Hurricane - Discussion

#10821 Postby Vdogg » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:41 am

150,000 with no power in Hampton Roads. Most Roads on south side are impassable. Numerous tries down, a lot of my friends on Facebook are reporting roof damage. Been hearing some things bang into the house but I think I'll wait till daylight to check it out, lol.
1 likes   

ncweatherwizard
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10822 Postby ncweatherwizard » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:41 am

Vdogg, any word on the Nansemond near Main and Constance Rd. in Suffolk? The gauge reading looks like the river will be across the road soon if not already.
1 likes   

Uhoh13
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#10823 Postby Uhoh13 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:43 am

FixySLN wrote:
Uhoh13 wrote:So did they pull the fleet out to sea? Big ships aren't good to go tied up at a pier.

Not sure. I know they sent the Jima to Haiti and had two other ships on standby. A large chunk of the fleet is already out to sea.

True, I forgot we have a shadow fleert now, compared to when I served. They were probably all out to sea anyway on double deployment.
0 likes   

Digital-TC-Chaser

#10824 Postby Digital-TC-Chaser » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:50 am

when a earlier pass caught it,the storm was still well structured.
1 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#10825 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:06 am

Still a hurricane as of 2 AM EDT.

I'm betting this will be post-tropical by the time I wake up.
1 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

NC George
Category 2
Category 2

#10826 Postby NC George » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:06 am

Wow, just heard a loud bang outside...my storm door just ripped in half and the glass dropped out of it. :double: So, still windy here. The rain has stopped. Pressure at 1002. 7.5" rain storm total. Tar River now at 12.5 feet.
2 likes   
Bertha '96, Fran '96, Bonnie '98, Dennis '99, Floyd '99 :eek: , Isabel '03, Irene '11, Matthew '16, Isaias '20, PTC16????

Avatar is heading into Florence 2018, moving friend's boat, only land between us and Hurricane Florence is Ocracoke Island!

Digital-TC-Chaser

#10827 Postby Digital-TC-Chaser » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:38 am

HurricaneRyan wrote:Still a hurricane as of 2 AM EDT.

I'm betting this will be post-tropical by the time I wake up.

Guess you read the 44 advisory :wink:
0 likes   

ncbird
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10828 Postby ncbird » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:45 am

Finally a break in the rain. Winds in the mid 30's with gusts in mid 50's. Power is out with electric company saying all 200 out of power on my branch. No estimate as to when it will be restored. Trucks are not out at this time due to wind conditions. No doubt flooding will be a big issue. I've had total 9.35" of rain in the rain gauge since the start of rains from the system. Can't see the ditches any longer as they are full and even with yard flooding and I am not near any river overflow.
1 likes   

capepoint
Category 1
Category 1

#10829 Postby capepoint » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:48 am

Nws ral now forecasting Neuse river in Goldsboro to crest 2 feet above Floyd levels. Other reports from Greenville and Fayettville cite current flooding at or above Floyd levels, and they have not even opened the flood gates in Raleigh. I am afraid that this jext week will bring catastrophic flooding in eastern nc. Winds on the back side of the storm are much stronger than the front side, and the northerly winds on the back side are downright cold!
1 likes   
Ginger-(eye),Dennis,Diana,Kate,Gloria,Charley-(eye),Allison,Arthur,Bertha,Fran,Josephine,Bonnie,Earl,Dennis-(twice),Floyd, Isabel-(eye),Charley,Ophelia-(eyewall),Ernesto,Barry,Hanna,Irene-(eye),Arthur-(eye), Florence, Dorian, and countless depressions, storms, and nor'easters.

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: MATTHEW - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#10830 Postby GCANE » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:41 am

1 likes   

KBBOCA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Formerly Boca Raton, often West Africa. Currently Charlotte NC

#10831 Postby KBBOCA » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:40 am

Hoping and praying all in Eastern NC / SE Virginia are staying safe. It really does seem that too many of us (and too many mets / and NHC?!?!) bought into that loop scenario and that may have meant NC / VA let down their guard.

Somehow in forecasting & warning we've got to find a way to not only focus on the coastal impacts, but also inland flooding.

There HAS been a huge improvement in awareness of and modeling for storm surge (at a huge cost: it took tragedies like Katrina / Ike / Sandy to really get people's attention on this). Now let's hope some attention gets focused on inland flooding modeling & forecasting.
2 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10832 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:21 am

Just talked to my family in Fayetteville, NC. their basement ar their home by Fayetteville State University was completely flooded. The city of Fayetteville in downtown is complety flooded out as storm surge has bought record flooding on the Cape Fear River in Fayetteville.

My family is OK. But, it goes to show jjust how large and powerful Matthew was all along East Coast. Prayers to all!!
2 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10833 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:29 am

KBBOCA wrote:Hoping and praying all in Eastern NC / SE Virginia are staying safe. It really does seem that too many of us (and too many mets / and NHC?!?!) bought into that loop scenario and that may have meant NC / VA let down their guard.

Somehow in forecasting & warning we've got to find a way to not only focus on the coastal impacts, but also inland flooding.

There HAS been a huge improvement in awareness of and modeling for storm surge (at a huge cost: it took tragedies like Katrina / Ike / Sandy to really get people's attention on this). Now let's hope some attention gets focused on inland flooding modeling & forecasting.

I totally agree with you on this. Matthew went NNE right along the coast much farther than what was initially forecast. The storm did not begin to move away from rhe coast until it got up to almost to the NC Outer Banks.. Thus is why you have to alwys ALWAYS prepare for the worst.
2 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

Happy Pelican
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10834 Postby Happy Pelican » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:31 am

We're feeling the effects of Matthew along the Jersey Shore right now. You can hear the fierce upper level winds but luckily not making their way down. It's pretty much a nasty Nor'Easter here.
1 likes   

abajan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10835 Postby abajan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:35 am

WilmingtonSandbar wrote:
Okibeach wrote:Just entered the backside of the storm. Winds much higher than all day.

I'll say! I luckily did not lose power all day. I was sitting in the recliner and napping. I had the windows open all day, because for the most part it had been mainly a rain event for us, and had died off. then boom! i was woken from my nap by a huge blast of air coming from the back side of the house, and and winds were sustained higher than what he has all day. WECT said that there was recorded 100mph+ gusts around that time.

:eek: You could've lost your roof. It may have been better to close the windows (at least, on the windward side) before taking the nap.
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10836 Postby jlauderdal » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:01 am

abajan wrote:
WilmingtonSandbar wrote:
Okibeach wrote:Just entered the backside of the storm. Winds much higher than all day.

I'll say! I luckily did not lose power all day. I was sitting in the recliner and napping. I had the windows open all day, because for the most part it had been mainly a rain event for us, and had died off. then boom! i was woken from my nap by a huge blast of air coming from the back side of the house, and and winds were sustained higher than what he has all day. WECT said that there was recorded 100mph+ gusts around that time.

:eek: You could've lost your roof. It may have been better to close the windows (at least, on the windward side) before taking the nap.
keep the windows closed, protect them with shutters...anything less in a hurricane and you are in danger of your roof coming off.
0 likes   

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#10837 Postby Portastorm » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:04 am

Alyono wrote:NHC designated our wave as an invest. This one is bound to cause trouble

THIS was the very first post in this thread. I think we can all agree that Alyono was spot on.
3 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

#10838 Postby Ken711 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:29 am

KBBOCA wrote:Hoping and praying all in Eastern NC / SE Virginia are staying safe. It really does seem that too many of us (and too many mets / and NHC?!?!) bought into that loop scenario and that may have meant NC / VA let down their guard.

Most models missed with the forecasted loop.
0 likes   

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

#10839 Postby Ken711 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:30 am

Portastorm wrote:
Alyono wrote:NHC designated our wave as an invest. This one is bound to cause trouble

THIS was the very first post in this thread. I think we can all agree that Alyono was spot on.

Agreed.
3 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#10840 Postby weathaguyry » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:43 am

Happy Pelican wrote:We're feeling the effects of Matthew along the Jersey Shore right now. You can hear the fierce upper level winds but luckily not making their way down. It's pretty much a nasty Nor'Easter here.

Agreed, it won't stop raining here on LI, some gusty winds as well, I believe there is a Gale Watch for us here
0 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

Return to “2016”