ATL: MARIA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Exalt
Category 1
Category 1

Re: ATL: MARIA - Hurricane - Discussion

#1101 Postby Exalt » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Hurrilurker wrote:So Dominica likely completely leveled. Guadeloupe will sustain catastrophic damage. US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico likely the same soon. Plus major damage to Martinique, British VI, Monserrat, Antigua & Barbuda (what's left of them). And it won't even be done at Puerto Rico.

Wow, this season is really one for the record books. We may never witness anything like this again in our lifetimes (hopefully).

I've never quite seen a triple whammy to CONUS like this in less than a month.. Harvey, Irma, and Maria..
1 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#1102 Postby Blinhart » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Hurrilurker wrote:So Dominica likely completely leveled. Guadeloupe will sustain catastrophic damage. US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico likely the same soon. Plus major damage to Martinique, British VI, Monserrat, Antigua & Barbuda (what's left of them). And it won't even be done at Puerto Rico.

Wow, this season is really one for the record books. We may never witness anything like this again in our lifetimes (hopefully).

These islands will not be the same for who knows how long. They will need all the countries that help run them to help out as much as possible.

Will be interesting to see the geographical shape of these islands in December 2017 compared to December 2016. We would hope all these islands will not have anymore natural disasters to them.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1103 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 pm

My goodness...a tight core or not, this will make Jeff P's eyewall ride look tame in comparison.
1 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#1104 Postby tolakram » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Slight wobble south, this is when the wobbles count.

4 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#1105 Postby floridasun78 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:21 pm

here news live on islands with update live http://streema.com/radios/play/7100 station on Dominica
1 likes   

gfsperpendicular
Category 1
Category 1

#1106 Postby gfsperpendicular » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Does this make Maria the second Cat 5 east of the islands? The first being... Irma this year :double: ?
2 likes   
I'm not sleeping, I'm waiting for the 0900 UTC advisory!

#1 CMC stan

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1107 Postby GCANE » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm

4 mountains over 4k ft.
May put a dent in her for a bit.
4 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1108 Postby gatorcane » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm

Exalt wrote:

I've never quite seen a triple whammy to CONUS like this in less than a month.. Harvey, Irma, and Maria..

I expect October to have at least one if not multiple intense Caribbean systems include a Western Caribbean system.

Things look bad for Dominica, thoughts and prayers for the island.
Last edited by gatorcane on Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   

canetracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1109 Postby canetracker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm

sweetpea wrote:
storm_in_a_teacup wrote:
sweetpea wrote:
OMG, those poor people, sending many prayers to the people in the path os this storm. I have alot of family in Puerto Rico in the path of this storm. Going to be a long few days.

Good luck to them. The rest of the people around you won't feel the weight that's on your shoulders, and it's going to be hard to see how everyone who doesn't have family in the path can think about trivial stuff like boxing matches at a time like this.

I unfortunately got to know what that felt like this summer. I suppose way too many of us did.

Thank you for that, unfortunately too many people have felt that pit in your stomach this season. My dad is on the SE side of the island about 2 miles from the shore, he will not leave. He is 81 yrs old, I am so mad at him. I have alot of friends and family in Florida also, it has been a long few weeks for somany people. My heart is breaking for all in the path of these storms.

Praying for your dad.
7 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#1110 Postby 1900hurricane » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm

Which side of Dominica is most populated? Looks like Maria is coming into the southern half of the island.
1 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1111 Postby EquusStorm » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm

If Jose is upgraded to a category five in the post-season, that will be three category fives to the east and north of the Caribbean. Just one is very rare, but to have two to three in a single year is absolutely mind-numbing and I never thought I'd see it.

On point though, I hope for a miracle for Dominica, but... eugh, not looking forward at all to what morning will show.
1 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Cyclenall
Category 5
Category 5

#1112 Postby Cyclenall » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:169kts couple hundred feet up.. you better bet some of that will make to the surface.

I read that there are structures on higher elevation spots in Dominica - once Maria has her way there won't be a trace of those buildings left up there.

Its always something when a category 5 is declared and its just a foregone conclusion as in "yeah we know, just another monster."
2 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1113 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm

gfsperpendicular wrote:Does this make Maria the second Cat 5 east of the islands? The first being... Irma this year :double: ?

The 4th IIRC, and 2nd this year.
2 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Stormtrack03
Category 1
Category 1

#1114 Postby Stormtrack03 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:23 pm

tolakram wrote:Slight wobble south, this is when the wobbles count.

Do we have a good radar loop view of this storm at the moment?
2 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#1115 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:23 pm

gfsperpendicular wrote:Does this make Maria the second Cat 5 east of the islands? The first being... Irma this year :double: ?

Yes, and probably means this is the first time such has occurred in recorded history. 2007's Dean and Felix were to the west when those were cat 5's
2 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

SeaBrz_FL
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1116 Postby SeaBrz_FL » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:23 pm

I know that I'm suffering short term "Storm PTSD" from Irma, but learning Dominica's fate makes me cry more tears.

God Bless this poor country and the great people that live there. Do we have any members on the site from Dominica?

Separate topic - have we heard from GustyWind?
6 likes   
Donna/WPB 1960 - terrorized for life :-). Fourth of six generations living on the FL East Coast since the 50's.

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MARIA: Obs,Web Cams,Local Weather Statements: Leewards,U.S/BVI Virgin Islands.Puerto Rico,DR,Bahamas

#1117 Postby floridasun78 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:23 pm

this live from Dominica http://streema.com/radios/play/7100 their play music but guy gaving update
1 likes   

jabman98
Category 1
Category 1

#1118 Postby jabman98 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:23 pm

Oh, my gosh! Cat 5? :eek: I've been busy all day and haven't been able to check in. What in the world? Horrible for the islands. Cannot even imagine.
1 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1119 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:24 pm

SeaBrz_FL wrote:I know that I'm suffering short term "Storm PTSD" from Irma, but learning Dominica's fate makes me cry more tears.

God Bless this poor country and the great people that live there. Do we have any members on the site from Dominica?

Hey, you ever gotta talk, shoot me a PM. I was down there too, unfortunately, I know what that storm was like.
1 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

gfsperpendicular
Category 1
Category 1

#1120 Postby gfsperpendicular » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:24 pm

SeaBrz_FL wrote:I know that I'm suffering short term "Storm PTSD" from Irma, but learning Dominica's fate makes me cry more tears.

Oh no, I hope he's alright. :eek:
0 likes   
I'm not sleeping, I'm waiting for the 0900 UTC advisory!

#1 CMC stan

Return to “2017”