ATL: JOSE - Post Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

JBCycloneStan
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: ATL: JOSE - Hurricane - Discussion

#681 Postby JBCycloneStan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Cranky on twitter is purporting that this stall is likely a harbinger of an east turn happening imminently. He's making it seem like its gonna make an exit OTS sooner than anticipated. This is worrying considering the effect on the path of Maria toward the CONUS.
2 likes   

ozonepete
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#682 Postby ozonepete » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:51 pm

gatorcane wrote:Wow Jose is looking bad. How on earth are the models going to verify with the strengthening over the next 24 hours?

Because it may be looking bad to you, but it has been going from bad to better. :)
2 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#683 Postby NDG » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Somebody explain to me why is Jose is still been called a hurricane, yet along a pure tropical system.
It should had been downgraded to a subtropical storm earlier today.

2 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#684 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:33 pm

NDG wrote:Somebody explain to me why is Jose is still been called a hurricane, yet along a pure tropical system.

Yeah that is anything but tropical in nature. Why does the NHC like to hold-off on downgrading systems? I understand it is a threat to the NE U.S.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#685 Postby AutoPenalti » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:00 pm

ozonepete wrote:
gatorcane wrote:Wow Jose is looking bad. How on earth are the models going to verify with the strengthening over the next 24 hours?

Because it may be looking bad to you, but it has been going from bad to better. :)

In what way? :?:
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

txwatcher91
Category 5
Category 5

#686 Postby txwatcher91 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:12 pm

How is this still a hurricane when the strongest surface winds recon has measured are 60-65mph and FL winds of 70kts? This definitely shouldn’t be a hurricane and should be a subtropical storm now imo.
1 likes   

AdamFirst
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#687 Postby AdamFirst » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:31 pm

I think one of the reasons it's still being classified as a hurricane is to keep public awareness in the northeast heightened.
2 likes   
Dolphins Marlins Canes Golden Panthers HEAT
Andrew 1992 - Irene 1999 - Frances 2004 - Jeanne 2004 - Wilma 2005 - Fay 2008 - Isaac 2012 - Matthew 2016 - Irma 2017 - Dorian 2019 - Ian 2022 - Nicole 2022

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#688 Postby RL3AO » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:39 pm

It's still tropical. Recon shows a warm core and pretty much no temperature gradient outside of the center. The models show shear dropping quickly tomorrow and intensification. I'm not holding my breath.

2 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#689 Postby Hurricaneman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:45 pm

RL3AO wrote:It's still tropical. Recon shows a warm core and pretty much no temperature gradient outside of the center. The models show shear dropping quickly tomorrow and intensification. I'm not holding my breath.

https://i.imgur.com/O4AvujG.png

Actually looks like a warm seclusion tropical system with a warm core having both barotropical processes and baroclinic processes
1 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#690 Postby RL3AO » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:Actually looks like a warm seclusion tropical system with a warm core having both barotropical processes and baroclinic processes

There's certainly some baroclinicity involved. It actually held on better this evening than I was expecting. Maybe it'll do better than I'm expecting tomorrow.
0 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#691 Postby Hammy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:23 am

TheStormExpert wrote:
NDG wrote:Somebody explain to me why is Jose is still been called a hurricane, yet along a pure tropical system.

Yeah that is anything but tropical in nature. Why does the NHC like to hold-off on downgrading systems? I understand it is a threat to the NE U.S.

Whether it's a threat or not, as long as convection maintains itself around the center it'll still qualify as a tropical system, as it's at very least subtropical at the moment--I've seen systems over the open Atlantic that looked worse and had advisories initiated.

A lot about Jose actually reminds me a lot of (ironically named) Josephine in 1984, including satellite appearance:

0 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#692 Postby wxman57 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:12 am

The past 2 recon missions have failed to find hurricane force winds. Jose weakened to a tropical storm over 24 hours ago. The NHC forecasters are always reluctant to downgrade hurricanes that are nearing the U.S., for fear that the public won't pay attention to a tropical storm (or subtropical storm). Frustrating when we're telling our clients it's a tropical storm and the NHC keeps calling it a hurricane.
5 likes   

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

#693 Postby Ken711 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:22 am

wxman57 wrote:The past 2 recon missions have failed to find hurricane force winds. Jose weakened to a tropical storm over 24 hours ago. The NHC forecasters are always reluctant to downgrade hurricanes that are nearing the U.S., for fear that the public won't pay attention to a tropical storm (or subtropical storm). Frustrating when we're telling our clients it's a tropical storm and the NHC keeps calling it a hurricane.

Do you think even at this reduced strength, that the Jose will weaken the ridge enough as the models have been latching onto to allow Maria a way through the ridge?
0 likes   

pgoss11
Category 2
Category 2

#694 Postby pgoss11 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:27 am

Ken711 wrote:
wxman57 wrote:The past 2 recon missions have failed to find hurricane force winds. Jose weakened to a tropical storm over 24 hours ago. The NHC forecasters are always reluctant to downgrade hurricanes that are nearing the U.S., for fear that the public won't pay attention to a tropical storm (or subtropical storm). Frustrating when we're telling our clients it's a tropical storm and the NHC keeps calling it a hurricane.

Do you think even at this reduced strength, that the Jose will weaken the ridge enough as the models have been latching onto to allow Maria a way through the ridge?

The guidance is almost unanimous that Maria will not have direct impacts with the CONUS for at least the next 5-7 days. Jose definitely left a weakness in the ridge which will cause Maria to turn before the Bahamas. I, for one, am hoping this pans out.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#695 Postby NDG » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:40 am

So far recon has not found hurricane force winds not even at flight level not unless is far in the northern quadrant at flight level.
0 likes   

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#696 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:33 am

Could the overdoing of José be affecting Maria's track
0 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#697 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:37 am

Jose is making a nice comeback today as an impressive, large convective band continues to wrap into and spiral in toward the center. For now, this has certainly helped to maintain Jose, as a matter of fact, he may have even strengthened a bit this morning. Also. Jose has hardly moved at all in the past 12-18 hours or so. Seems stationary atm.

Jose is a tenacious storm, just keeps chugging along. Now at 15 days as a trackable tropical entity and counting.

Interesting to see how this will play into the already complex situation with the pattern with Jose and Maria down the road.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

crm6360
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#698 Postby crm6360 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:55 am

NDG wrote:So far recon has not found hurricane force winds not even at flight level not unless is far in the northern quadrant at flight level.

You have to love their rationale for maintaining hurricane status: "There might be hurricane gusts somewhere that the plane hasn't sampled... so you know, we just can't rule out that possibility." :roll:
2 likes   

txwatcher91
Category 5
Category 5

#699 Postby txwatcher91 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:02 am

crm6360 wrote:
NDG wrote:So far recon has not found hurricane force winds not even at flight level not unless is far in the northern quadrant at flight level.

You have to love their rationale for maintaining hurricane status: "There might be hurricane gusts somewhere that the plane hasn't sampled... so you know, we just can't rule out that possibility." :roll:

Highest FL winds I saw were around 65kts.. with such shallow convection and based on dropsonde data, surface winds are 55-60mph max. I understand keeping the public aware but fudging the numbers when recon data doesn't support a hurricane isn't a good idea either.
0 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#700 Postby Blinhart » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:06 am

txwatcher91 wrote:
crm6360 wrote:

Highest FL winds I saw were around 65kts.. with such shallow convection and based on dropsonde data, surface winds are 55-60mph max. I understand keeping the public aware but fudging the numbers when recon data doesn't support a hurricane isn't a good idea either.

I think post season analysis of Jose there will be a lot of changes to intensity and type of system he is/was will be all over the place. We can see him upgraded to a Cat 5 for some time, then change from Hurricane for the past 48 hours to Sub-Tropical Storm.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Return to “2017”