2017 Cyclones Retirement: New names are: Harold / Idalia / Margot / Nigel

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: 2017 Cyclones Retirement

#41 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Torino wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:Looks like we will be looking for a new female M name as well. Last time three names were retired was 2008.

Names NOT available for that: Madeline, Maria, Marie, Marilyn, Melissa, Michelle, Miriam, Mindy

Monica, Miranda, Mia, Melanie, Mireille, Marisa, Marcia, Martha, Marsha, Molly, Mel, Megan, Magda... there are 1000 candidates.

Molly and Meredith would be my top two choices.
0 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby EquusStorm » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:19 pm

wxmann_91 wrote:
EquusStorm wrote:The big two are obviously already a shoe-in for never being seen again, but so far it looks like just the two for now. Franklin seemed to be very mild and Katia's two deaths were vastly overshadowed by the earthquake striking at pretty much the same time; unless Jose rides the coast or bombs out and hits the Canadian Maritimes, it has caused little direct damage despite its intensity and the island evacuation.

One thing I DO realize though after a couple decades of Atlantic-watching, is that every time a storm of any intensity comes within hundreds of miles of a French-owned island or territory, their WMO delegation immediately starts coming up with replacement names... :ggreen:

Three days later...

Hah, posted here a little too early obviously. Definitely three now... and honestly if we keep up the pace through October, might not be all.
1 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#43 Postby Blinhart » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:55 pm

What is the record for most storms to be retired in one season? I would think 2005.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#44 Postby 1900hurricane » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Blinhart wrote:What is the record for most storms to be retired in one season? I would think 2005.

Yep, that one had five (Dennis, Katrina, Rita, Stan, and Wilma).
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#45 Postby Torino » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:01 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
Torino wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:Looks like we will be looking for a new female M name as well. Last time three names were retired was 2008.

Names NOT available for that: Madeline, Maria, Marie, Marilyn, Melissa, Michelle, Miriam, Mindy

Monica, Miranda, Mia, Melanie, Mireille, Marisa, Marcia, Martha, Marsha, Molly, Mel, Megan, Magda... there are 1000 candidates.

Mine are Harold, Ilsa and Monica to replace Harvey, Irma and Maria.
0 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby EquusStorm » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:31 pm

I like Ilsa as a name but as Elsa is on the list for 2022, it'd be doubtful... then again, they replaced Fabian (replacing Frederic) with Fred, Katrina with Katia, and Rita with Rina, lol.

I reiterate, we are running out of usable 'I' names very quickly
(I mean, at least within the constraints of the cultural name origins we usually use in the Atlantic)
0 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#47 Postby HurricaneRyan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:41 pm

I prefer Megan. Fits well between Lee and Nate
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby Blinhart » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:33 am

HurricaneRyan wrote:I prefer Megan. Fits well between Lee and Nate

That is if Nate isn't retired also, we haven't seen him yet and don't know where he will form and where he might hit.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:25 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
Torino wrote:

I vote for Magda...that screams TC
0 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:26 pm

1900hurricane wrote:
Blinhart wrote:What is the record for most storms to be retired in one season? I would think 2005.

Yep, that one had five (Dennis, Katrina, Rita, Stan, and Wilma).

It should have been 6...I still wonder how Emily wasnt retired that year
1 likes   

ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:29 pm

EquusStorm wrote:I like Ilsa as a name but as Elsa is on the list for 2022, it'd be doubtful... then again, they replaced Fabian (replacing Frederic) with Fred, Katrina with Katia, and Rita with Rina, lol.

(I mean, at least within the constraints of the cultural name origins we usually use in the Atlantic)

I dont think we have used Ivanka :lol:
4 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#52 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:56 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:
Torino wrote:

I vote for Magda...that screams TC

Great TC name!
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#53 Postby chaser1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:59 pm

EquusStorm wrote:I like Ilsa as a name but as Elsa is on the list for 2022, it'd be doubtful... then again, they replaced Fabian (replacing Frederic) with Fred, Katrina with Katia, and Rita with Rina, lol.

"Inga" perhaps?
0 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#54 Postby HurricaneRyan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:59 pm

ScottNAtlanta wrote:

I dont think we have used Ivanka :lol:

Not when Degrassi's Imogen Moreno provides us with a great I name.
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#55 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:34 pm

This whole list may be close to used up soon.

We still have the original N, O and P names (Nate, Ophelia and Philippe) and those will likely be peak to shoulder season storms - hard not to imagine at least one of them being severe at this rate. Then the R, S and W names were all retired in 2005.

As of now, List 3 has 11 originals remaining - their letters are A, B, C, E, G, J, N, O, P, T and V. A lot of those are easy to reach in even an average hurricane season. Other than Tammy and Vince, the whole list could be close to used up within a generation. If 2023 is not too active but with a number of bad storms (we should still have Arlene, Bret, Cindy, Emily, Gert and Jose among originals, despite eating up the middle and bottom of the alphabet)...
0 likes   

Torino
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#56 Postby Torino » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:57 pm

I think Elsa and Ilsa are pronounced differently: "El-suh", and "Eeel-suh" or "Eeel-zah".
But they added Julian last year to replace Joaquin, and Julia is in the next list, so why not?

I have a feeling that Monica, Martha or Magda will be Maria's replacement. Monica and Magda have been recently retired from Australia's lists. Martha was used once before, in 1969.
Back in May, I betted on Irma, Jose, Maria and Philippe. I've got only Jose wrong so far.
I also think we will see one more name to retire this year.

About Emily's retirement, I believe Mexico was too busy dealing with Stan and Wilma to care about a July storm. However, I do agree it should've been retired.
Last edited by Torino on Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#57 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:00 pm

Torino wrote:I think Elsa and Ilsa are pronounced differently: "El-suh", and "Eeel-suh" or "Eeel-zah".
But they added Julian last year to replace Joaquin, and Julia is in the next list, so why not?

I have a feeling that Monica, Martha or Magda will be Maria's replacement. Monica and Magda have been recently retired from Australia's lists. Martha was used once before, in 1969.
I also think we will see one more name to retire this year. Back in May, I betted on Irma, Jose, Maria and Philippe. I've got only Jose wrong.

About Emily's retirement, I believe Mexico was too busy dealing with Stan and Wilma to care about a July storm. However, I do agree it should've been retired.

If Jose is upgraded to cat 5 post season, it will be only the fourth named cat 5 (or third if Edith is downgraded in reanalysis) to not be retired. Carol was retired the next use though, and we have talked about Emily a lot. But even still, Jose would not have a legitimate retirement case.
0 likes   

Extratropical94
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#58 Postby Extratropical94 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Lists 3 and 4 haven't had a letter retired twice. With the likely retirement of Irma that will change. Next year the only non-original names will be Gordon, Joyce, Kirk and Sara.

Here's an overview I've put together of all lists with their first generation (original), second gen (retired once) and third gen (retired twice) names. (Color coding does not apply to the old female name lists.)

Years next to the lists indicate how far down the list we went in that season. Years next to retired names show the year when that name was retired.

Feel free to correct any mistakes if you spot them. :D

1 likes   
54° 11' 59'' N, 9° 9' 20'' E
Boomer Sooner!
Go Broncos! Go Cards! Go Niners!
- Daniel

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Unless a miracle happens and it’s not that bad for Puerto Rico (which unfortunately doesn’t seem to be the case), Maria will likely be the 3rd storm being retired from this Atlantic storm name list next spring. Even if it was to not be that bad for Puerto Rico you still have the devastating from Dominica which should guarantee a retirement. What a bad season it’s turning out to be. :(
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby chaser1 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:21 pm

Torino wrote:I think Elsa and Ilsa are pronounced differently: "El-suh", and "Eeel-suh" or "Eeel-zah".

Back in May, I betted on Irma, Jose, Maria and Philippe. I've got only Jose wrong so far.
I also think we will see one more name to retire this year.

"Hurricane Magda" just has that annihilation sound to her lol.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”