ATL: MARIA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MARIA - Hurricane - Discussion

#1721 Postby supercane4867 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:43 pm

This doubling of eye diameter just weird. It went from 5nm to 10nm in one pass.
2 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#1722 Postby Sanibel » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:46 pm

So much for the "east Caribbean graveyard"...Historic storm will hit Puerto Rico at full category 5 intensity for Dominica II...
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1723 Postby Alyono » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Sanibel wrote:So much for the "east Caribbean graveyard"...Historic storm will hit Puerto Rico at full category 5 intensity for Dominica II...

east Caribbean is either very favorable or very unfavorable. It is clearly very favorable this time. It is one place where rapid intensification occurs not that infrequently. It is not a graveyard. An old John Hope myth that should be forgotten
3 likes   

Hurrilurker
Category 2
Category 2

#1724 Postby Hurrilurker » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:48 pm

PandaCitrus wrote:Eyewall in San Juan a metro over 1.5 million would be a nightmare.

It's going to be close enough that it'll be a disaster anyway. At this point it would take something really freakish to happen to deflect the core significantly away from San Juan. As of now it looks like the eye may miss a bit to the west but it's the strong side so...
1 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#1725 Postby Kazmit » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:49 pm

2 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#1726 Postby galaxy401 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Sanibel wrote:So much for the "east Caribbean graveyard"...Historic storm will hit Puerto Rico at full category 5 intensity for Dominica II...

I think the East Caribbean graveyard applies only for developing storms (like Harvey during his first stint). Developed storms have no problem in this region (like Matthew last year).
1 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#1727 Postby Ryxn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:56 pm

Maria growing in size considerably the past couple hours...
Last edited by Ryxn on Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
0 likes   

Exalt
Category 1
Category 1

#1728 Postby Exalt » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 pm

supercane4867 wrote:This doubling of eye diameter just weird. It went from 5nm to 10nm in one pass.

Irma did the same thing. Inexplicable wind radii expansion and eyewall growth without the usual pressure increases, wind speed declines, and eye fumbles normally seen in a EWRC.
3 likes   

msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: MARIA: Obs,Web Cams,Local Weather Statements: Leewards,U.S/BVI Virgin Islands.Puerto Rico,DR,Bahamas

#1729 Postby msbee » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Gustywind , insane is right.
Stay safe.
Praying for those in our neighboring islands.
1 likes   
Too many hurricanes to remember

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#1730 Postby Nimbus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:07 pm

Hurrilurker wrote:
PandaCitrus wrote:Eyewall in San Juan a metro over 1.5 million would be a nightmare.

It's going to be close enough that it'll be a disaster anyway. At this point it would take something really freakish to happen to deflect the core significantly away from San Juan. As of now it looks like the eye may miss a bit to the west but it's the strong side so...

Slowing down last few frames with a N wobble, it would take a miracle for Maria to pull a Charley and leave all of Puerto Rico on the weak side of the storm.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1731 Postby NDG » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Alyono wrote:

east Caribbean is either very favorable or very unfavorable. It is clearly very favorable this time. It is one place where rapid intensification occurs not that infrequently. It is not a graveyard. An old John Hope myth that should be forgotten

I agree, it is only a bad area for development and or intensification during certain times of the year and certain years, Matthew last year also proved the "graveyard" wrong.
1 likes   

SouthDadeFish
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1732 Postby SouthDadeFish » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Alyono wrote:
SouthDadeFish wrote:FYI... ERCs typically take between 12-24 hours to complete. This one is just starting. It may not complete before a potential Puerto Rico landfall, but it will be close. It's concerning to see the pressure continue to fall like this with a secondary eyewall forming. Nothing is slowing it down for now.

do you have any ideas as to why ewrcs have not been causing weakening this year? Harvey intensified through its replacement, as did Irma through its initial one.. I've never seen this before

Great question. I'm beginning to wonder if these really intense TCs have a unique version of ERCs that allows them to continue to intensify. Like something with the dynamics are different than the "typical" ERC. I also do not recall TCs intensifying like this while the secondary eyewall forms... This would be a fantastic research opportunity with the radar datasets from Irma and now Maria.
2 likes   

cvalkan4
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#1733 Postby cvalkan4 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Alyono wrote:

I believe John Hope said that if a system did not have an established circulation when it entered the east Caribbean, it was unlikely to develop until it reached the central or western Caribbean. Unfortunately, his "rule" has been a bit mischaracterized over the years.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1734 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:15 pm

THis ERC is very odd.
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

curtadams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1735 Postby curtadams » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:16 pm

SouthDadeFish wrote:Great question. I'm beginning to wonder if these really intense TCs have a unique version of ERCs that allows them to continue to intensify. Like something with the dynamics are different than the "typical" ERC. I also do not recall TCs intensifying like this while the secondary eyewall forms... This would be a fantastic research opportunity with the radar datasets from Irma and now Maria.
I noticed that these storms have often not had the more traditional circular eyewall surrounded by a moat. Their structure has been more of a continuous spiral. It might not explain everything, because sometimes these storm have had the more traditional structure, but I thought it was odd.
1 likes   

loro-rojo
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#1736 Postby loro-rojo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:18 pm

PR radio is telling people to get ready to hide in closets and hallways to ride out the storm.
0 likes   

SouthDadeFish
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#1737 Postby SouthDadeFish » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:20 pm

curtadams wrote:
SouthDadeFish wrote:Great question. I'm beginning to wonder if these really intense TCs have a unique version of ERCs that allows them to continue to intensify. Like something with the dynamics are different than the "typical" ERC. I also do not recall TCs intensifying like this while the secondary eyewall forms... This would be a fantastic research opportunity with the radar datasets from Irma and now Maria.
I noticed that these storms have often not had the more traditional circular eyewall surrounded by a moat. Their structure has been more of a continuous spiral. It might not explain everything, because sometimes these storm have had the more traditional structure, but I thought it was odd.

I agree with this observation. Even if you look at microwave right now, it looks like this is another case of a spiral band trying to become a secondary eyewall. I wonder if environmental moisture and shear plays a role in this.
2 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#1738 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:21 pm

curtadams wrote:

I mean what ERC ? It's like it got started begin to contract then some sort of convective ring ( i posted it earlier) begin expanding out from the center and now we are back to a full curved band and no outer eyewall.

2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Hybridstorm_November2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1739 Postby Hybridstorm_November2001 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:21 pm

Watching St. Croix webcam right now. Things are starting to look harry there -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2CzQclKQc
1 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#1740 Postby EquusStorm » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:23 pm

The 913 is official now in the position update. We have a weird situation where Maria is the most intense storm of the year but 20mph away from the strongest of the year by wind speed.
0 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Return to “2017”