What names will be the big ones in 2017?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
ScottNAtlanta
Category 5
Category 5

Re: What names will be the big ones in 2017?

#21 Postby ScottNAtlanta » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:34 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:I'm thinking Emily will be a big one. Seems like every other year that name shows up she makes a run at retirement, and since she was weak last time... :P Also possibly Irma and Jose.

Honestly I don't know why Emily wasn't retired back after the 2005 season. Wasn't she a Cat.5 that year?

The earliest Cat 5 on record in the Atlantic basin
Most intense hurricane before August
For whatever reason Mexico does not request names be retired.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

JtSmarts
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#22 Postby JtSmarts » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Katrina's daughter Katia sticks out to me.
0 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby Kazmit » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:35 am

Kazmit wrote:Franklin, Gert, and Harvey all sound like hurricanes to me. Irma sounds destructive, especially since it's an I name :roll:

Franklin- minimal fish hurricane, may hit Bermuda.
Gert- Caribbean cat 2, hits central america and/or Yucatan.
Harvey- Gulf storm. A cat 3 at peak. Hits somewhere along the Gulf Coast as a minimal cat 3.
Irma- Develops near the Bahamas. RI's into a weak cat 4 briefly, then gradually weakens as it rides up the East Coast, eventually grazing long island as a weak cat 1, or post-tropical storm.

These are only based on what I think the names sound like they should be :P

Somehow I predicted Harvey?
2 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

bg1
Category 1
Category 1

#24 Postby bg1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:06 am

bg1 wrote:
C4 Franklin (Aug 18-27; PT until 30th) 115 kt / 130 mph
Swipes the name right from under TD 7’s nose. TS forms N of the Antilles, affects Bahamas as a strengthening Cat 1-2. Looks to hit just SE of Homestead, FL but pulls an Ike and splits the Keys and Cuba. Reaches peak in Gulf before landfall in TX at 115 mph. This is the first MH landfall in the US since Wilma over 11 years ago. Dissipates as a PT near Lake Erie.

Hmmm... wrong name and initial track, but...
1 likes   

weathaguyry
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby weathaguyry » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:49 am

Kazmit wrote:
Kazmit wrote:Franklin, Gert, and Harvey all sound like hurricanes to me. Irma sounds destructive, especially since it's an I name :roll:

Harvey- Gulf storm. A cat 3 at peak. Hits somewhere along the Gulf Coast as a minimal cat 3.
Irma- Develops near the Bahamas. RI's into a weak cat 4 briefly, then gradually weakens as it rides up the East Coast, eventually grazing long island as a weak cat 1, or post-tropical storm.

Somehow I predicted Harvey?

You were also correct with Franklin and Gert, just the names were switched and intensity was a little off, nice job!
1 likes   
My posts are only my opinions and NOT official forecasts. For official forecasts, consult the National Hurricane Center or the National Weather Service.

Irene 11', Sandy 12', Fay 20’, Isaias 20’, Elsa 21’, Henri 21’, Ida 21’

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#26 Postby HurricaneRyan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:15 pm

Andrew being somewhat correct about Harvey :eek:
0 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:44 pm

Hurricaneman wrote:Ill put out full season but capitalize the big ones

Arlene: forms from a frontal low off the east coast May 23rd but doesnt become subtropical until the 25th and tropical until the 26th and peaks at 50mph as it moves out into the atlantic

Bret: forms July 25th near the texas coast and peaks at landfall in Pensacola as a 60mph TS because of shear on July 27th

CINDY: forms in the Bahamas August 10th and intensifies into a 135mph hurricane just east of Cape Hatteras on August 12th and accelerates NNE landfalling in central Long Island as a 115mph hurricane August 13th

Don: forms at around 10N 40W on August 12th and peaks at landfall in South America as a 50mph TS

Emily: Forms around Bermuda on August 20th and peaks at 90mph August 21st and makes landfall in Nova Scotia as a 75mph hurricane on August 22nd

Franklin Forms SE of the Azores on August 29th and peaks as a 80mph hurricane at landfall in the Azores August 30th and continues to go and make landfall in France as a 40mph TS on September 2nd

GERT: Forms north of Puerto Rico September 10th and heads west and landfalls in the Bahamas as a 100mph September 13th and continues to intensify making landfall as a 130mph hurricane in Palm Beach September 14th and continuing into the GOM rapidly intensifying into a 175mph hurricane 125mi from Houston September 16th making landfall just south of Galveston as a 145mph hurricane September 17th

HARVEY: Forms south of Pensacola from a piece of the remains of GERT September 20th and intensifies to a 70mph ts at landfall on September 21st but the steering currents break down and drops more than 25 inches of rain in about a 30000 Square Mile area before moving away

Irma: Forms in the Western Caribbean on October 3rd and moves NNE towards Cuba making landfall as a 45mph TS on October 5th dissipating on October 7th due to shear

JOSE: Forms in the western Caribbean on October 15th and heads NNE and makes landfall in the western tip of Cuba as a 75mph hurricane on October 17th and intensifies to 110mph at landfall in Sarasota on October 19th and makes a 2nd landfall as a 90mph hurricane in Wilmington NC on October 20th and a 3rd landfall in eastern Massachusetts as a 70mph ts October 21st becoming extratropical over Boston

Katia: forms west of the Canary Islands on October 29th as a subtropical storm and becomes tropical the next day landfalling at peak in the Canary Islands as a 60mph TS November 1st

You got it right with Harvey in terms of large area of heavy rain.
0 likes   

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#28 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:49 am

Harvey and Irma :eek: The latter two were stronger and sadly, much much much more devastating... Include Maria too
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#29 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:55 am

CrazyC83 wrote:This is my thought for the tracks of 2017. Maria (the last storm) is the most memorable and the strongest November storm of our lifetimes (becoming a Cat 5 on November 2).

Major Hurricane Maria: October 28 - November 8
* Peak intensity - 145 kt / 920 mb

Irma and Maria are equally unforgettable. Maria's winds are a bit higher, but wow :eek: Irma was the strongest wind-wise at 160 kts... Maria was lowest in pressure at 908 mb. What a season!
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

J_J99
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#30 Postby J_J99 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:38 am

J_J99 wrote:Maybe because my Great Grandmas name was Irma but I am getting a bad feeling and omen from that name.... :double:

I was right to be fearful of that name???? :O
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:34 pm

From what we've seen for the past 2 months, the 2017 has done the opposite of most expectations. All named storms from Franklin until Ophelia, the easternmost major, have been hurricanes. Monthly ACE for September (175) surpassed 2004's record of 155. 2 if not 3 category 5's (Irma, Maria and possibly Jose) formed within a span of a month. A record three *major* hurricanes racked up over 40 ACE, higher than several seasonal totals each. Harvey broke the major hurricane drought for the entire US and drenched Texas with over 50" of rainfall. Afterwards, Irma breaks the major hurricane drought for Florida and becomes the strongest since Charley, striking a similar area. Lastly, Maria becomes the third major hurricane impact for the US, a record third Category 4 actually, with it being the strongest for Puerto Rico for decades and becoming their costliest natural disaster ever.

Tally as of late is 15/10/6 with an ACE of 226. Nearly identical to 2004.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”