Coolest and worst hurricane names you've ever heard

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Coolest and worst hurricane names you've ever heard

#61 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:24 am

This year in the Atlantic had fairly good names, as well as last year. IMO, 2019 as a whole is the weirdest list, with names like Humberto and Olga.... :lol:

I liked the names Irma and Maria in particular. On the other hand, Bret, Nate and Sean sound boring for hurricane names. Last year, the only names I found boring were Hermine and Virginie.

Among my all-time favorites are Andrew, Alex, Charley, David, Dennis, Floyd, Hugo, Ike, Igor, Mitch, Nicole, Katrina, and Wilma
0 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

Socalhurcnegirl227
Category 1
Category 1

#62 Postby Socalhurcnegirl227 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:09 pm

With Ashley being such a common name how come thats never been added to the list lol not just cause its my name. :D
1 likes   
"I'm a wandress, i'm a one night stand,
dont belong to no city, dont belong to no man
i'm the violence in the pouring rain,
I'm a hurricane"

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#63 Postby Ryxn » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Socalhurcnegirl227 wrote:With Ashley being such a common name how come thats never been added to the list lol not just cause its my name. :D

Same with my name! There has been no Tropical Storm Ryan in the Western Hemisphere or Hurricane Ryan in any basin. However there was a Typhoon Ryan in September 1995. But I'm curious if my name would replace any R-named retired storm. I think it would be a good replacement for Rene of 2020, if that storm retires. It's the most similar male R-name. I think Ashley (or Ashlene, but I like Ashley better) would best replace Arlene from the future 2023 or 2029 seasons.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#64 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:55 pm

Ryxn wrote:
Socalhurcnegirl227 wrote:With Ashley being such a common name how come thats never been added to the list lol not just cause its my name. :D

Same with my name! There has been no Tropical Storm Ryan in the Western Hemisphere or Hurricane Ryan in any basin. However there was a Typhoon Ryan in September 1995. But I'm curious if my name would replace any R-named retired storm. I think it would be a good replacement for Rene of 2020, if that storm retires. It's the most similar male R-name. I think Ashley (or Ashlene, but I like Ashley better) would best replace Arlene from the future 2023 or 2029 seasons.

It could also replace Andrea after 2019 or Ana after 2021, but it is so hard to get A names retired these days.
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#65 Postby wxman57 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:29 am

I always liked the name "Love", from 1950:

1 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#66 Postby HurricaneRyan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:51 am

Ryxn wrote:

Ryan is my middle name. And it's never been used in the Western hemisphere. My first name though is used in the EPAC, Kenneth.

I always thought Ashley would be a replacement. Especially since Amanda has already been selected for the EPAC
1 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

Socalhurcnegirl227
Category 1
Category 1

#67 Postby Socalhurcnegirl227 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:25 pm

I wish they would release the lists of alternative names for each cylce if it gets retired.
0 likes   
"I'm a wandress, i'm a one night stand,
dont belong to no city, dont belong to no man
i'm the violence in the pouring rain,
I'm a hurricane"

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#68 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:19 pm

There are bunch of cool names in my view, examples being Gonzalo, Lorenzo, Michael, Andrew, Lenny, Karl, Paulette, Sara, Nicole, Josephine, Whitney, and Maria. Hard to choose which one is my favorite tbh.

However, there are several names that I personally don't like, and these are Beryl, Chantal, Bob, Teddy, Lee, Karen, and Nana. And if I had to pick my least favorite out of these, it would probably be Nana. I mean, really? Not that I want death and destruction, but I was kind of rooting for Nana to be retired during the 2020 season solely due to how infrequently used in real life, warm, strengthless, and innocent the name sounds and is. Obviously that probably would not happen given Nana's relatively light impacts on C America, but if I had the power to do so I would axe that name from list 6 and replace it with a more sensible and common N female name, my top pick being "Natalia."
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#69 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:38 pm

Welcome Category5Kaiju
I like the names Rene, Dorian, Sean, and Catarina.
Catarina takes the cake(Idk if I spelled that right tho) :cheesy:
Least favorite would be Katrina, Harvey, David, and Nate
Not much character for a storm. Katrina doesn´t sound menacing at all.
Just my opinion and do not mean to dump on those names, just aren´t very hurricane savvy. :D
Edit:Also I love the name Natalia and have a friend named that.
1 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

TheHurricaneGod
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#70 Postby TheHurricaneGod » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:16 pm

Raul would be a sick name for a hurricane.
1 likes   

Astromanía
Category 2
Category 2

#71 Postby Astromanía » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:10 am

This comment is stupid but...
I love Rafael coz is my first name
I hate Ivan coz is my second name
1 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#72 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:32 pm

Category5Kaiju wrote:T
However, there are several names that I personally don't like, and these are Beryl, Chantal, Bob, Teddy, Lee, Karen, and Nana. And if I had to pick my least favorite out of these, it would probably be Nana. I mean, really? Not that I want death and destruction, but I was kind of rooting for Nana to be retired during the 2020 season solely due to how infrequently used in real life, warm, strengthless, and innocent the name sounds and is. Obviously that probably would not happen given Nana's relatively light impacts on C America, but if I had the power to do so I would axe that name from list 6 and replace it with a more sensible and common N female name, my top pick being "Natalia."

I am sure that the name "Nana" was originally suggested back in 1979 by those who were tasked with coming up with "French" names for the new multicultural lists. Names don't have the same connotations in all cultures. Many people in France back in 1979 would still have associated "Nana" primarily with the novel Nana by Emile Zola. In that book the title character is anything but "strengthless" and "innocent." Here is a very relevant paragraph from the Wikipedia article about the courtesan title character in the novel, starting with a one sentence quote from the English translation:

"Nana was still smiling, but with the deadly smile of a man-eater."

In the course of the novel Nana destroys every man who pursues her: Philippe Hugon is imprisoned after stealing from the army to lend Nana money; the wealthy banker Steiner bankrupts himself trying to please her; Georges Hugon stabs himself with scissors in anguish over her; Vandeuvres incinerates himself after Nana ruins him financially; Fauchery, a journalist and publisher who falls for Nana early on, writes a scathing article about her later, and falls for her again and is ruined financially; and Count Muffat, whose faithfulness to Nana brings him back for humiliation after humiliation until he finds her in bed with his elderly father-in-law. In George Becker's words: "What emerges from [Nana] is the completeness of Nana's destructive force, brought to a culmination in the thirteenth chapter by a kind of roll call of the victims of her voracity"

So to an educated French person the connotations of "Nana" would be of a physically beautiful but highly dangerous and destructive woman -- which would have made it quite a sensible name for a hurricane.
2 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#73 Postby Category5Kaiju » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:59 am

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
Category5Kaiju wrote:T

I am sure that the name "Nana" was originally suggested back in 1979 by those who were tasked with coming up with "French" names for the new multicultural lists. Names don't have the same connotations in all cultures. Many people in France back in 1979 would still have associated "Nana" primarily with the novel Nana by Emile Zola. In that book the title character is anything but "strengthless" and "innocent." Here is a very relevant paragraph from the Wikipedia article about the courtesan title character in the novel, starting with a one sentence quote from the English translation:

"Nana was still smiling, but with the deadly smile of a man-eater."

In the course of the novel Nana destroys every man who pursues her: Philippe Hugon is imprisoned after stealing from the army to lend Nana money; the wealthy banker Steiner bankrupts himself trying to please her; Georges Hugon stabs himself with scissors in anguish over her; Vandeuvres incinerates himself after Nana ruins him financially; Fauchery, a journalist and publisher who falls for Nana early on, writes a scathing article about her later, and falls for her again and is ruined financially; and Count Muffat, whose faithfulness to Nana brings him back for humiliation after humiliation until he finds her in bed with his elderly father-in-law. In George Becker's words: "What emerges from [Nana] is the completeness of Nana's destructive force, brought to a culmination in the thirteenth chapter by a kind of roll call of the victims of her voracity"

So to an educated French person the connotations of "Nana" would be of a physically beautiful but highly dangerous and destructive woman -- which would have made it quite a sensible name for a hurricane.

Hmm, that's actually pretty interesting I actually did not know that until now. At least for me, I typically think of "Nana" as a very strange, uncommon name and more of like something that people would usually refer to their warm, affectionate, and caring grandmothers who bake them delicious pie. That's why I just had this weird gut feeling that "Nana" did not really fit with "strike an intense feeling of power or dread" names like Michael, Nicole, Katia, Rene, Harold, or Gabrielle. Also I think a bigger name "pet peeve" I have is when the names are shortened from their original names (which definitely would invoke a scarier and more serious tone), examples being Gert (Gertrude), Larry (Lawrence), Teddy (Theodore), and Vicky (Victoria). But yeah regarding that bit of info about Nana being a powerful and frightening figure in French literature that's something entirely new for me. I never thought of that being the case.
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”