Inverted trough over the western GOMEX/BOC

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Dean4Storms
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Area of Disturbed Weather North of PR/Leewards

#41 Postby Dean4Storms » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:36 pm

LarryWx wrote:^Interesting take. Well, it is starting to get late. So, it wouldn't be shocking.

Even the 12Z Navgem and JMA have only a wave or very weak low. I should also add that the 12Z GEFS is the quietest of any of the last few days. Also, the 12Z EPS has nothing noteworthy. Only the very unreliable and often way too aggressive CMC has something of note at 12Z, a 1005 mb TD or TS hit on the southern tip of FL on Fri night. This is like the 4th run in a row of a TC hit on S FL but it is the CMC (along with its ensembles being that several of its members still hit S FL with a TC) against the rest of the model world at 12Z today.

Should this get a yellow x? Any opinions?

Not right now. They should wait and first see if anything even attempts organizing.
0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#42 Postby SFLcane » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:52 pm

LarryWx wrote:^Interesting take. Well, it is starting to get late. So, it wouldn't be shocking.

Even the 12Z Navgem and JMA have only a wave or very weak low. I should also add that the 12Z GEFS is the quietest of any of the last few days. Also, the 12Z EPS has nothing noteworthy. Only the very unreliable and often way too aggressive CMC has something of note at 12Z, a 1005 mb TD or TS hit on the southern tip of FL on Fri night. This is like the 4th run in a row of a TC hit on S FL but it is the CMC (along with its ensembles being that several of its members still hit S FL with a TC) against the rest of the model world at 12Z today.

All i can see is crazy wind shear keeping this from anything more then another wet distubance for FL if it even makes that far west.
0 likes   

StormTracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby StormTracker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:16 pm

I can't remember a time when the NHC ever pulled the trigger based solely on the CMC. It's been over exaggerative than most models on most systems in their early stages all season. They either go with the GFS or the ECMWF, or a blend of the two usually. I'm pretty sure they'll wait until they have more conclusive evidence from the other models before it gets the yellow x...ST
0 likes   
Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet!

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby SFLcane » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:08 am

0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby LarryWx » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:56 am

Per the 0Z/6Z guidance, it is clear that the GFS/GEFS has completely caved to the always relatively quiet Euro/EPS on this feature. The 6Z GEFS has virtually no member develop this. I'd now be quite surprised if there is tropical development with this as only the CMC does much of anything with it and the CMC doesn't seem to know that strong shear is not conducive toward tropical development.

I'd say no yellow x is necessary based on model trends but that will depend on what this looks like on satellite pics later today. If the NHC were to do anything, they most likely would have a yellow x with 0-10% chance unless there's a surprise on satellite loops today. Back when the GFS was developing this, it had been doing so by about this morning.

Any other opinions?
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

#46 Postby Steve H. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:50 am

I don't think the NHC is going to do anything, might mention it in the discussion, but this is real time observance right now. If shear doesn't get too strong it may well have a chance.
0 likes   

Sanibel
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby Sanibel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:05 am

Wilma formed from a convection bank like this in October...However, this one looks too sheared, too weak, and too far NE into the Atlantic...But who knows?

While the big weak wave in the middle Atlantic might be too weak now its remnants might congeal further west in the Caribbean...
0 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby otowntiger » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Sanibel wrote:Wilma formed from a convection bank like this in October...However, this one looks too sheared, too weak, and too far NE into the Atlantic...But who knows?

While the big weak wave in the middle Atlantic might be too weak now its remnants might congeal further west in the Caribbean...
As bad as it was, it certainly looks the season could be coming to an early end, based on the lack of model support for anything the rest of this month. The synoptic pattern is very mid summer like with the Bermuda high as strong as ever and shear galore. Way above avg temps for the eastern 1/3 or at least SE US with a strong protective ridge. Good news unless you hate the heat in the fall, which I'm no fan of.
0 likes   

Emmett_Brown
Category 5
Category 5

#49 Postby Emmett_Brown » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Models no longer develop this, but just checking it out in real time on satellite, I have seen disturbances look more lame than this and still develop. Granted, upper level winds are not favorable, so it probably won't develop, but I think some weak development may still be possible. Some hybrid late season storms are less affected by shear, since they develop in conjunction with upper level lows.
1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:33 pm

Yeah although development is unlikely atm, NEVER completely rule out these Upper Level Lows spinning down to the surface. It is not common for them to do so, but there have been rare cases of this happening, most notably 2 years ago in the vicinity of the Bahamas with the development of Joaquin, which he became a major tropical cyclone.
0 likes   

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

#51 Postby Steve H. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Though none of the models are showing development, I'm keeping an eye on it. The Euro did show some vorticity, and the system seems to have a circulation and convection - if not tropical perhaps sub-tropical. Interesting feature still.
0 likes   

Miami Storm Tracker
Category 3
Category 3

#52 Postby Miami Storm Tracker » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Evening,

I know only the CMC is really showing much, but I do see storms starting to pull into the COC. May be a small chance
0 likes   

joey
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#53 Postby joey » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 pm

Miami Storm Tracker wrote:Evening,

I know only the CMC is really showing much, but I do see storms starting to pull into the COC. May be a small chance

Is this trying to work down to the surface ty
0 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#54 Postby boca » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:50 pm

It looks like this ULL is working it's way down to the surface because their is convection developing near the center.
2 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#55 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:00 am

Low north of Hispaniola moving towards Florida has worked it's way down to 850 mb. Convergence is favorable, divergence marginal, shear 0-15 knots, shear tendency: decreasing shear around. It's a ULL working its way down as revealed by looking at 200 mb, 500 mb, 700 mb, and 850 mb levels. It will kick up the winds across Florida. The big question- does it become a tropical or subtropical cyclone. That remains to be seen. There's still so much shear around it that it makes the forecast uncertain, but impacts will be similar regardless. Breezy with scattered rain bands across FL this weekend. It's also moving west at a pretty good clip, limiting the window of time it has to work all the way down to the surface. Nevertheless, it has worked all the way down to 850 mb, so it's worth watching.
http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/w ... 8&prod=vor
0 likes   

joey
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#56 Postby joey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:14 am

Tampa Bay Hurricane wrote:Low north of Hispaniola moving towards Florida has worked it's way down to 850 mb. Convergence is favorable, divergence marginal, shear 0-15 knots, shear tendency: decreasing shear around. It's a ULL working its way down as revealed by looking at 200 mb, 500 mb, 700 mb, and 850 mb levels. It will kick up the winds across Florida. The big question- does it become a tropical or subtropical cyclone. That remains to be seen. There's still so much shear around it that it makes the forecast uncertain, but impacts will be similar regardless. Breezy with scattered rain bands across FL this weekend. It's also moving west at a pretty good clip, limiting the window of time it has to work all the way down to the surface. Nevertheless, it has worked all the way down to 850 mb, so it's worth watching.
http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/w ... 8&prod=vor

maybe the nhc will give it yellow x today :larrow:
1 likes   

SuperMarioBros99thx
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#57 Postby SuperMarioBros99thx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:28 am

It looks like no one is mentioning about anticyclone near it...
0 likes   
My opinions are mine and SHOULD not be treated as an official source of information. PLEASE see National Hurricane Center, or any other meteorological agencies, for that matter. By the way, I was born and came from Indonesia, which is rarely hit by tropical cyclones, but regardless, I have LOTS of interest in meteorology.

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#58 Postby AJC3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:59 am

SuperMarioBros99thx wrote:It looks like no one is mentioning about anticyclone near it...

It's underneath a mid to upper level low (cyclone), not an anticyclone.
3 likes   

Miami Storm Tracker
Category 3
Category 3

#59 Postby Miami Storm Tracker » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:15 am

It appears to have lost much of the rotation it had last night, so when it crosses FLA maybe nothing but some rain and a few wind gust,
0 likes   

Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#60 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:21 pm

It doesn’t look as well defined as earlier. Not gonna develop I don’t think. Will increase rain chances across FL Friday tho.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”