smithtim wrote:Seriously a hurricane landfalling in Portugal -> Spain :?:

How 'bout a TS in Ireland?
0 likes   

SuperMarioBros99thx
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

Re: ATL: OPHELIA - Hurricane - Discussion

#122 Postby SuperMarioBros99thx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:03 pm

If Ophelia could strengthen more than it is doing right now per pressure, i could see it landfalling in Portugal because it will move tad south from the through. (NOTE: If this manages to get south i see models tried to weaken Ophelia completely to super-1000 pressures. I am skeptical of it, since it might well intensify and not weakening at all.) Otherwise it's in Ireland or doesn't even make landfall at all.
Last edited by SuperMarioBros99thx on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 likes   
My opinions are mine and SHOULD not be treated as an official source of information. PLEASE see National Hurricane Center, or any other meteorological agencies, for that matter. By the way, I was born and came from Indonesia, which is rarely hit by tropical cyclones, but regardless, I have LOTS of interest in meteorology.

storm_in_a_teacup
Category 1
Category 1

#123 Postby storm_in_a_teacup » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:08 pm

Ah yes. Takes me back to 2005.

I’m not sure if it is nostalgia, because I certainly wasn’t having fun in 2005, but it’s not like I am freaking out or having flashbacks.

It’s sort of like a “well...it’s been a while hasn’t it?”

Like bumping into a guy who bullied you in school and now he’s all grown up, but still kind of a jerk.
4 likes   
I know I can't straddle the atmosphere...just a tiny storm in your teacup, girl.

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#124 Postby Ryxn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:17 pm

Seems like it's strengthening. The way it looks on visible satellite gives an illusion of a higher intensity even with the convection not being very deep (hard to see judging only on clouds). It looks a strong Category 2 (maybe even a weak 3 in my opinion) with Category 1 winds. One of the best looking Category 1 hurricanes. Nice and symmetrical.
2 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#125 Postby EquusStorm » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:06 pm

If our next storm is in the WCarib, we might end up with eleven consecutive hurricanes. And furthermore, the previous ten-hurricane streaks before the satellite era belie the lack of satellite coverage for brief tropical storms that would have gone unnoticed and could have broken the 19th century streaks, the completed reanalysis notwithstanding. That said, if PTC 10 from late August somehow gets classified in the post-season, our record is lost, breaking up the 2017 streak.

On subject though, the CMC ensemble map on the Tropical Tidbits site is having an interesting time with the late-track eastern longitude of Ophelia's remnants. :D
2 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

#126 Postby Ryxn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:17 pm

EquusStorm wrote:If our next storm is in the WCarib, we might end up with eleven consecutive hurricanes. And furthermore, the previous ten-hurricane streaks before the satellite era belie the lack of satellite coverage for brief tropical storms that would have gone unnoticed and could have broken the 19th century streaks, the completed reanalysis notwithstanding. That said, if PTC 10 from late August somehow gets classified in the post-season, our record is lost, breaking up the 2017 streak.

On subject though, the CMC ensemble map on the Tropical Tidbits site is having an interesting time with the late-track eastern longitude of Ophelia's remnants. :D

Well, hypothetically, 2 more consecutive hurricanes could form in the next 20 days and the next 2 storms could be come hurricanes in November and December. This would push the consecutive hurricane count to a crazy 14 and even is PTC10 gets upgraded to a storm, the record of 11 consecutive hurricanes will still be 2017's. However, 4 more consecutive hurricanes from this point on is quite the long shot but technically possible.
1 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#127 Postby EquusStorm » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:20 pm

Well, even three November hurricanes isn't impossible (2001) so it's not totally outta the question.
3 likes   

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#128 Postby EquusStorm » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:50 pm

85mph/986mb as per new advisory. Really impressive for that part of the Atlantic but not unprecedented. Ireland could see some rather significant impact from this in the long run.
1 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#129 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:07 pm

If it stays tropical to Europe, would those countries issue tropical storm or hurricane watches or warnings?
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#130 Postby 1900hurricane » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 pm

Latest ASCAT data only has 45 kt in very close to the center. Resolution and low bias means Ophelia is certainly stronger than that, but by how much?

0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#131 Postby Sciencerocks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:00 pm

I wouldn't use ascat for anything higher then 45 knts. This thing is a hurricane without a doubt.
1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#132 Postby Alyono » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:01 pm

1900hurricane wrote:Latest ASCAT data only has 45 kt in very close to the center. Resolution and low bias means Ophelia is certainly stronger than that, but by how much?

https://i.imgur.com/RznfN52.png

Ophelia has been running 1 full T number below the estimates. This is probably 50-55 kts right now

NHC is doing a JTWC-like job here of giving far too much weight to subjective Dvorak estimates. This is NOT a hurricane right now, even though it looks like one on satellite imagery
2 likes   

Dean_175
Category 1
Category 1

#133 Postby Dean_175 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:46 am

Alyono wrote:
NHC is doing a JTWC-like job here of giving far too much weight to subjective Dvorak estimates. This is NOT a hurricane right now, even though it looks like one on satellite imagery
''

Interesting, and I understand your point of view here. Just another reason why bring back Recon would be of a major benefit in the west Pacific- especially for major storms that are too strong for ASCAT.

Just a question though: what would happen if the NHC named a storm that really was under tropical storm force- and somehow discovered that in re-analysis?
1 likes   
All posts by Dean_175 are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Vince_and_Grace_fan
Category 1
Category 1

#134 Postby Vince_and_Grace_fan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:10 am

Ophelia and the large extratropical cyclone north of it on the EUMETSAT arimass composite image, both look nice. :)

0 likes   

terstorm1012
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#135 Postby terstorm1012 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:43 am

CrazyC83 wrote:If it stays tropical to Europe, would those countries issue tropical storm or hurricane watches or warnings?

I can't imagine they have any protocols for tropical systems---they don't issue those warnings and watches when tropicalesque systems form in the Mediterranean.
0 likes   

Extratropical94
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#136 Postby Extratropical94 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:51 am

CrazyC83 wrote:If it stays tropical to Europe, would those countries issue tropical storm or hurricane watches or warnings?

Each country has their own weather agency which issues watches and warnings for severe weather like wind, snow, heavy rain or heat. I don't think there would be special warnings for a tropical system, only the regular high wind and rain warnings. We get large-scale hurricane-force windstorms here in Europe every year (especially countries like Ireland are used to them) so the impact from a smaller tropical/transitioning system would probably be too insignificant to warrant the issuance of special TS warnings.
1 likes   
54° 11' 59'' N, 9° 9' 20'' E
Boomer Sooner!
Go Broncos! Go Cards! Go Niners!
- Daniel

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#137 Postby supercane4867 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:26 am

Ophelia has intensified quite a bit. Likely a CAT2 now.

1 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#138 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 am

supercane4867 wrote:Ophelia has intensified quite a bit. Likely a CAT2 now.

https://i.imgur.com/pWdZ3HP.gif

I know Dvorak estimates range from 77 to 95 kt, but with the caveat that ASCAT has been really low. ASCAT doesn't cover eyewalls very well though, so Ophelia likely has a small radius of hurricane winds (at a large TS wind field). Getting a ship report would be very useful, but ships don't drive into hurricanes deliberately.
3 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#139 Postby bob rulz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:22 am

Alyono wrote:
1900hurricane wrote:Latest ASCAT data only has 45 kt in very close to the center. Resolution and low bias means Ophelia is certainly stronger than that, but by how much?

Ophelia has been running 1 full T number below the estimates. This is probably 50-55 kts right now

I thought ASCAT was basically useless once a storm had a defined eyewall/was above a certain intensity? And what would make the Dvorak estimates unreliable? Just curious what the reasoning here is.
2 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#140 Postby Alyono » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:25 pm

bob rulz wrote:
Alyono wrote:

I thought ASCAT was basically useless once a storm had a defined eyewall/was above a certain intensity? And what would make the Dvorak estimates unreliable? Just curious what the reasoning here is.

ASCAT is usually reliable up through 50 kts. It is above that that is cannot resolve the winds properly.
1 likes   

Return to “2017”