ATL: OPHELIA - Extratropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: OPHELIA - Hurricane - Discussion

#141 Postby EquusStorm » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Wow. If this were in a more traditional environment in the deep tropics and with colder cloud tops, the current satellite appearance would probably merit major hurricane intensity.
1 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Sciencerocks
Category 5
Category 5

#142 Postby Sciencerocks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:19 pm

I'd estimate 85 knots now.

Full ring of orange on ir
Clearing eye

Lee was a major with a slightly warmer eye.
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#143 Postby 1900hurricane » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Warm medium grey eye is present.

0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

gfsperpendicular
Category 1
Category 1

#144 Postby gfsperpendicular » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:38 pm

NHC goes with Cat2/100mph, I think that's a good call.
1 likes   
I'm not sleeping, I'm waiting for the 0900 UTC advisory!

#1 CMC stan

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#145 Postby EquusStorm » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:39 pm

I assume perhaps the northeasternmost cat 2 since Ivan in 1980. This year continues to impress.
Last edited by EquusStorm on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

NotoSans
Category 5
Category 5

#146 Postby NotoSans » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:41 pm

One example I can think of in which there is a large discrepancy between ASCAT and recon data would be Typhoon Utor in 2013. The aircraft estimated 10-minute sustained winds of around 70 knots while ASCAT at that time was showing winds of around 45 knots. The central pressure estimated by the aircraft also suggested typhoon intensity. Utor is not a a system with a very small core but ASCAT still fails to resolve it well. Of course ASCAT is a very reliable intensity estimation tool, but I think there are some other examples where there are unusual discrepancies between the real intensity and the ASCAT data, and one should not take the latter as the ground truth.
For Ophelia, I think the actual intensity may be a bit lower than the Dvorak estimates as the rather shallow convection may be affecting the surface mixing, but I would say it’s at least a mid or even high-end category 1.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to RSMC and NWS products.

KWT
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: OPHELIA - Models

#147 Postby KWT » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Interesting presentation from Ophelia on the 12z ECM, it still looks pretty tropical west of Portugal, SSTs are low (20-21C) but probably still do-able in a low upper set-up environment and the estimated radar still has a distinct eye and eyewall feature. This then opens up and it looks like it restrengthens as a transitioning storm. 850hpa temps at core are 21C at this point, impressively high for the time of year.

By Sunday evening its extra-tropical looking as it goes into Ireland, still with a weak warm core left over and still has a good presentation. ECM has 90mph gusts into the southern coast of Ireland.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#148 Postby NDG » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:07 pm

So has Ireland been struck by a true tropical hurricane before?
This is crazy.

0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: ATL: OPHELIA - Models

#149 Postby Alyono » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:07 pm

just saw the full EC as well. No doubt, this would be a hurricane had it taken the Vince track. Probably would have had a moderate to strong cat 1 plowing into Portugal.

This is rapidly transitioning as it approaches Ireland. If it moves faster than forecast, it may just remain tropical until landfall or closest approach
1 likes   

Lifeless
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#150 Postby Lifeless » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:16 pm

NDG wrote:So has Ireland been struck by a true tropical hurricane before?
This is crazy.

Debbie was the closest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Debbie_(1961) and probably the most similar to this storm, Hurricane strength winds but not tropical.
0 likes   
Disclaimer: I am by no means even remotely a professional meteorologist, I'm just a Brit interested in tropical weather in the Atlantic. Always refer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) or National Weather Service (NWS) for professional advice.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#151 Postby Alyono » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Lifeless wrote:
This is crazy.

Debbie was the closest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Debbie_(1961) and probably the most similar to this storm, Hurricane strength winds but not tropical.

just spoke to the person who did the reanalysis for Debbie. Became ET well away from Britain
4 likes   

Lifeless
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#152 Postby Lifeless » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:51 pm

Alyono wrote:
Lifeless wrote:
This is crazy.

just spoke to the person who did the reanalysis for Debbie. Became ET well away from Britain

Is there any information on what other storms have kept tropical characteristics closer to the British Isles by any chance then? Im curious.. the only one I can think of is Grace (if that's even correct), and although a bit further away, Vince.

In terms of wind speeds though, I feel like Debbie and Ophelia might end up being relatively similar if the models are anything to go by, but again, definitely not tropical.
0 likes   
Disclaimer: I am by no means even remotely a professional meteorologist, I'm just a Brit interested in tropical weather in the Atlantic. Always refer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) or National Weather Service (NWS) for professional advice.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#153 Postby Alyono » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Lifeless wrote:
Alyono wrote:
Lifeless wrote:

Is there any information on what other storms have kept tropical characteristics closer to the British Isles by any chance then? Im curious.. the only one I can think of is Grace (if that's even correct), and although a bit further away, Vince.

In terms of wind speeds though, I feel like Debbie and Ophelia might end up being relatively similar if the models are anything to go by, but again, definitely not tropical.

when I looked at the EC, Ophelia is a borderline case. Cold air is wrapping around the circulation, though it remains warm core, yet the simulated satellite did not have a clear frontal signature
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#154 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:08 pm

Here's what Met Eireann has to say:

There has been some media coverage that hurricane Ophelia will impact Ireland to some degree at the start of next week. At this stage, there is strong evidence from the weather forecast models that its remnants will track close to or even over parts of Ireland, but at present, there are still a wide spread of possible outcomes. Our forecasters are treating the situation with caution and are in contact with our international colleagues, but given the lead time and the inherent uncertainties that come with the modelling of a tropical system it won’t be possible to quantify the exact timing, nor the strength or intensity of the wind and rain, in any great detail until later in the weekend. Ophelia won’t be a hurricane in meteorological terms when it reaches our part of the world as she will have moved over the cooler waters of the mid-Atlantic and undergone what is known as extra-tropical transition. So while there could be the threat of wind gusts reaching hurricane force or indeed heavy rainfall with this system, it means the traditional attributes of a hurricane – such as an eye or an eye-wall containing a core of hurricane force winds - are very unlikely to be present. Instead, it will likely engage and merge with a frontal zone in the Atlantic, morphing into a mid-latitude depression with tropical characteristics. Met Éireann forecasters will be keeping a close eye on the evolution of this storm over the coming days and warnings will be issued as confidence in the evolution allows.

https://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=448
0 likes   

sikkar
Category 1
Category 1

#155 Postby sikkar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Santa Maria island webcams: http://www.spotazores.com/ilha/1
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#156 Postby Kazmit » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 pm

That would be really interesting if Ophelia made landfall in Ireland as a fully tropical hurricane. But with this season, I wouldn't be that surprised.
0 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#157 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Seeing some black around the eye - that would be T5.0 I believe?
0 likes   

FireRat
Category 5
Category 5

#158 Postby FireRat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Well the NHC cone has it striking Ireland as an 'H'.
Wow, that's just batshite crazy! :double:
1 likes   
Georges '98, Irene '99, Frances '04, Jeanne '04, Katrina '05, Wilma '05, Gustav '08, Isaac '12, Matthew '16, Florence '18, Michael '18, Ian '22

supercane4867
Category 5
Category 5

#159 Postby supercane4867 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:08 pm

TXNT23 KNES 130022
TCSNTL

A. 17L (OPHELIA)

B. 13/0000Z

C. 30.5N

D. 35.1W

E. ONE/MET-10

F. T5.0/5.0/D0.5/24HRS

G. IR/EIR/SWIR

H. REMARKS...EYE PATTERN WITH A WMG EYE THAT IS SURROUNDED BY LG AND
EMBEDDED IN MG. THIS RESULTS IN A DT OF 5.0 WITH 0.5 ADDED FOR AN EYE
ADJUSTMENT. MET IS 5.0 AND PT IS 4.5. FT IS BASED ON DT.

I. ADDL POSITIONS

NIL

...WHISNANT

00z best track is already up to 90kt.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#160 Postby CrazyC83 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:09 pm

FireRat wrote:Well the NHC cone has it striking Ireland as an 'H'.
Wow, that's just batshite crazy! :double:

Only thing crazier would be an M in that circle.
0 likes   

Return to “2017”