ATL: MARIA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

redneck51
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: MARIA: Obs,Web Cams,Local Weather Statements: Leewards,U.S/BVI Virgin Islands.Puerto Rico,DR,Bahamas

#3041 Postby redneck51 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:31 am

Checking in from eastern Puerto Rico.
This is the first time I have internet at home - I got myself an AT&T hot spot and have been using it in the car mainly to get and send emails to try to get my business up and running again. Yesterday I got good signal here in the hills and today is the first day I am spending some time online.

The island still is a mess. 38 days after Maria only 28% have electricity and 77% have water.
We have neither but we get by with a generator and water in the cisterns. I have a pickup truck with a 200 gallon tank that I can fill at a well and every now and then at a tanker truck from the military or a contracted company. I help 5 neighbor houses with water and two with electricity to at least keep the fridges running.
Stores are opened for limited hours and not everything is available, especially stuff that everybody needs isn't there. Think bottled water, insect repellent, bleach (to treat water), gas tanks to mention a few. Gas and diesel was a problem during the first couple of days. Meanwhile there's enough availability and hardly lines at the gas stations. Internet availability is bad and because of that many businesses only take cash which leads to long lines at banks.
Cell phone connectivity depends on which provider you have. On some spots one provider works good, somewhere else another is working. Meanwhile we have three phones among the two of us at three different providers and we are pretty good in knowing which provider has connectivity at certain places.

It's gonna take a lot of time and money to get us up and running again and many people who lost their job because of the storm already went or are planning to go to the mainland where they can make a living. (in case you don't know, Puerto Ricans are US citizens by birth so it's basically a matter of getting on a plane).
3 likes   

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MARIA: Obs,Web Cams,Local Weather Statements: Leewards,U.S/BVI Virgin Islands.Puerto Rico,DR,Bahamas

#3042 Postby galaxy401 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Thanks for the check-in. Must be very stressful for you right now. Hopefully the situation rapidly improves.

How many users are from Puerto Rico. I know Luis is but are there any others?
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

xtyphooncyclonex
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: MARIA - Extratropical - Discussion

#3043 Postby xtyphooncyclonex » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:50 pm

Not sure about a death toll in the thousands *heard some chatter* but pretty likely in a hundreds and is certainly underestimated. According to the Mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico, Hurricane Maria's death toll may be closer to 500 than 50.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ser-to?amp
1 likes   
REMINDER: My opinions that I, or any other NON Pro-Met in this forum, are unofficial. Please do not take my opinions as an official forecast and warning. I am NOT a meteorologist. Following my forecasts blindly may lead to false alarm, danger and risk if official forecasts from agencies are ignored.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3044 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Interesting, didn't know about that measurement. If 926 is the actual landfall pressure, the intensity was probably 125 kt as there was definitely weakening during the ERC.
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3045 Postby Alyono » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:06 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
mrbagyo wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:Reading the NWS San Juan initial report, there is very little data from the island to confirm or deny intensities. The best data we probably have is the 929 mb pressure recorded from Josh Morgerman outside the eye, which I used to come up with the 920 mb landfall estimate. There is no reliable wind data at all; 130 kt is my best guess.

I think the lowest pressure recorded in Maria at landfall was the one taken by Simon Brewer inside the eye - 926.6 mb.

https://twitter.com/SimonStormRider/status/911329219120189440

Interesting, didn't know about that measurement. If 926 is the actual landfall pressure, the intensity was probably 125 kt as there was definitely weakening during the ERC.

you're too low. It was likely no weaker than 135 kts based upon the radar being blown away and the winds it is designed to withstand. I was starting to intensify again as it made landfall
0 likes   

Salix88
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#3046 Postby Salix88 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:38 am

Alyono wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:
mrbagyo wrote:
I think the lowest pressure recorded in Maria at landfall was the one taken by Simon Brewer inside the eye - 926.6 mb.

https://twitter.com/SimonStormRider/status/911329219120189440

you're too low. It was likely no weaker than 135 kts based upon the radar being blown away and the winds it is designed to withstand. I was starting to intensify again as it made landfall

What are the odds of Maria being upgraded to a borderline Cat. 5 at PR landfall on post-season analysis?
0 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#3047 Postby Alyono » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:06 am

Salix88 wrote:
Alyono wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:

What are the odds of Maria being upgraded to a borderline Cat. 5 at PR landfall on post-season analysis?

I'd say small. not enough evidence since it made landfall between recon flights (hard to do since there were 3 hourly fixes
0 likes   

msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3048 Postby msbee » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:34 am

Thinking of Luis and those of you in PR.
St Maarten was hit badly by Irma but luckily we are a smaller island with a better electrical infrastructure and we have been able to bounce back for the most part. Not everyone has electricity yet but most do. Lots of recovery still going on though. Many people still have no roofs and major resorts will be closed until spring of next year.
Wishing PR a speedy recovery. Hang in there!
3 likes   
Too many hurricanes to remember

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3049 Postby northjaxpro » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:33 pm

msbee wrote:Thinking of Luis and those of you in PR.
St Maarten was hit badly by Irma but luckily we are a smaller island with a better electrical infrastructure and we have been able to bounce back for the most part. Not everyone has electricity yet but most do. Lots of recovery still going on though. Many people still have no roofs and major resorts will be closed until spring of next year.
Wishing PR a speedy recovery. Hang in there!

Well said Msbee!! Amen to everything you posted. Praying continuously for all down in Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and all the other islands which were devastated by these major hurricanes this season. I pray that the recovery efforts and all the necessary resources come swiftly for all of our neighbors down in the Caribbean!! Godspeed everyone!!
2 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

#3050 Postby galaxy401 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Another power outage happened in Puerto Rico after receiving heavy rainfall in the last couple days. I am just really wondering how stressful it must be for Luis and other users living there right now.
0 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

msbee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3051 Postby msbee » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:21 pm

galaxy401 wrote:Another power outage happened in Puerto Rico after receiving heavy rainfall in the last couple days. I am just really wondering how stressful it must be for Luis and other users living there right now.

Yes, hard to imagine! One step forward and 2 backwards!
:cry: :cry:
0 likes   
Too many hurricanes to remember

redneck51
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#3052 Postby redneck51 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Still no electricity nor water, it's getting annoying...
I've been trying to get in touch with Cycloneye - no luck yet but I'll keep trying.
4 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3053 Postby cycloneye » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Hi to all.I am alive and well after Maria slammed Puerto Rico.It not good to see all the damage around this island.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3054 Postby cycloneye » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:23 pm

My take is Maria will be upgraded to cat 5 after all the data and evidence of damage is analized.It may take a few years like Andrew.Here are a few fotos and videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=173tX9M ... e=youtu.be
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3055 Postby cycloneye » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:22 pm

Incredible video taken in Yabucoa,Puerto Rico by Jose Garcia.Look at the wind directions that change constantly and that white car is moved.

@iCyclone
Super-freaky video of #Hurricane #MARIA in Yabucoa (close to landfall point) showing *bizarre* changes in wind direction. Seems like mesovortex action—but directional changes keep happening over several minutes. Weird sh*t. & cool. (Thx, @JMGarciaRivera.)https://youtu.be/FAS6JC41Fwg

https://twitter.com/iCyclone/status/932686817924648960

5 likes   

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#3056 Postby Shell Mound » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:59 pm

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/11/29/16623926/puerto-rico-death-toll-hurricane-maria-count

How will the National Hurricane Center determine which source to use: official government statistics or the media investigations? (This is for the TCR.)
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

ronyan
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: MARIA - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#3057 Postby ronyan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:19 am

Death toll officially raised to 2,975. :cry:

From 64 -> 2975. https://www.reuters.com/video/2018/08/2 ... =459102584
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: MARIA - Hurricane - Discussion

#3058 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:12 am

RL3AO wrote:Unfortunately, it appears Puerto Rico will not escape landfall from one of the most devastating hurricanes in the islands modern history. I worry many will be without electricity for weeks or months.

The last areas that were without power after Maria got it back on July 30th.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: MARIA - Hurricane - Discussion

#3059 Postby cycloneye » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:21 am

LarryWx wrote:Luis,
May you be blessed and be protected from Maria's danger. I hope that wherever you are is sturdy and high enough to avoid flooding.

Oh boy, I saw this post three years later as I am going back to see how you guys discussed the Maria landfall. Thankfully, I dont live in area that floods but we were without power for 2 months.
2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ATL: Invest 96L - Discussion

#3060 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:17 pm

jlauderdal wrote:
cycloneye wrote:8 AM TWO:

A tropical wave located about 1200 miles east of the Windward
Islands is producing a large area of showers and thunderstorms.
Environmental conditions are expected to be conducive for gradual
development, and a tropical depression is expected to form in 2 or 3
days. Interests in the Lesser Antilles should closely monitor the
progress of this system while it moves westward to west-
northwestward at about 15 mph.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...medium...50 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...90 percent.

cycloneye, how did you fare in irma?...i know you were offline for a few days.

Well, it took almost 5 years to reply to your question as I was looking back at the threads of 2017 on April 23, 2022. I did well with Irma, only the power grid went out for a few days. But with Maria was a different story as we got the power back three months later and there was a good deal of destruction and many deaths.
0 likes   

Return to “2017”