Texas Winter 2017-2018

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Snowflake7
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#141 Postby Snowflake7 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:06 pm

I'm starting to lose faith that DFW will get a winter :( '
0 likes   

starsfan65
Category 2
Category 2

#142 Postby starsfan65 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Snowflake7 wrote:I'm starting to lose faith that DFW will get a winter :( '
Why are you losing faith?
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#143 Postby Tireman4 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:20 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Portastorm wrote:Do you like those very technical seasonal forecasts? If so, here's one to check out:

http://m.uploadedit.com/bbtc/1509722707103.pdf

This person is an enthusiast and not a professional met but he/she clearly knows some things. Not sure how accurate it will be but I will say the thoughts in this forecast are fairly similar to Larry Cosgrove's forecast for winter issued last weekend. Seems like January may be the best month for us to experience a good wintry event or two.

Enjoy the reading and if y'all see other forecasts for winter, post 'em in this thread.

Note that I had nothing to do with the preparation of that very warm winter forecast for Texas. This winter will be colder than last winter, I promise.

Oh frickity frack..not this again...look...you have been talking about a cold fall..it is 90 outside. LOL. You say..winter will be colder than last year...shoot..it was one of the warmest in years...LOL...goodness gracious...Sheesh...I hate the heat. I hate 90's in November. I just cannot take it...
0 likes   

Snowflake7
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#144 Postby Snowflake7 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:17 pm

starsfan65 wrote:

The flip flop in climate is very misleading. I was hoping it would remain cold for longer periods of time rather than the one day here and there LOL. What are your thoughts as to when/if we get an actual winter. And by winter I mean SNOW LOL :cold:
0 likes   

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#145 Postby Tireman4 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:33 pm

Snowflake7 wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:

The flip flop in climate is very misleading. I was hoping it would remain cold for longer periods of time rather than the one day here and there LOL. What are your thoughts as to when/if we get an actual winter. And by winter I mean SNOW LOL :cold:

Well, I am not Ntwx or the other long range guys around here, but it does ( and I know, I ranted on the Texas Fall thread) take awhile to cool down here. It also comes in stages. One pro met ( Srain) calls it stepping down. You will have swings like this...especially in Fall and sometimes Winter..where it is 89 ( in Houston) one day and 65 the next. Now, the pro folks can tell you more about this than I can. Also, welcome to S2K. It does get crazy around these here parts.
1 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#146 Postby Brent » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:07 pm

What exactly is the definition of a DFW winter?

After the last two years the bar is pathetically low
1 likes   
#neversummer

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#147 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:09 pm

Good news for those worried about winter, its not exactly time for winter yet lol. Lotta football left!
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Snowflake7
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#148 Postby Snowflake7 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:42 am

Tireman4 wrote:
Snowflake7 wrote:
starsfan65 wrote:Why are you losing faith?

Well, I am not Ntwx or the other long range guys around here, but it does ( and I know, I ranted on the Texas Fall thread) take awhile to cool down here. It also comes in stages. One pro met ( Srain) calls it stepping down. You will have swings like this...especially in Fall and sometimes Winter..where it is 89 ( in Houston) one day and 65 the next. Now, the pro folks can tell you more about this than I can. Also, welcome to S2K. It does get crazy around these here parts.

Thank you for the welcome :) I am definitely learning the lingo. I'm new to this so please pardon my ignorance LOL Seems like a great bunch of folks here!! I've followed you guys for a while and I love reading the posts. :ggreen: :ggreen:
0 likes   

Snowflake7
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#149 Postby Snowflake7 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:45 am

Brent wrote:

I would have to agree that its been nonexistent. However, when I think of a "DFW winter " my heart takes me to the brittle 2011 storm. I will settle for some snow of any kind at this point. Do you think we will get any that will actually stick?
0 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#150 Postby Brent » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Snowflake7 wrote:
Brent wrote:

I would have to agree that its been nonexistent. However, when I think of a "DFW winter " my heart takes me to the brittle 2011 storm. I will settle for some snow of any kind at this point. Do you think we will get any that will actually stick?

I wasnt here in 2010/2011 but I agree, I think if we just got one good snow that shuts us down for a day or two a winter we'd be good.

I hope we have a good winter this year but after the couple of years I'm kind of believe it when I see it honestly sadly.
1 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#151 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:00 am

Brent wrote:

A safe definition would be above normal warmth with 1-2 cold days.
2 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#152 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:01 am

1 likes   
#neversummer

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#153 Postby SoupBone » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:20 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:http://firsthandweather.com/3396/2017-18-winter-outlook/
Firsthand Weather's Winter Forecast.

Thanks for this. However, I didn't need this to know this Winter will be another South Texas downer. :cry:

Couple of days with cooler weather, but mostly warm. Bah humbug.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Tireman4
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#154 Postby Tireman4 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:21 pm

SoupBone wrote:

Thanks for this. However, I didn't need this to know this Winter will be another South Texas downer. :cry:

Well, you know...Long range forecasts can be totally off
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#155 Postby SoupBone » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Tireman4 wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

Well, you know...Long range forecasts can be totally off

Know what makes it worse? Mosquitoes are worse and more aggressive than I've ever seen them. The warm Fall has them breeding like it's Summer.
1 likes   

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#156 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:57 pm

SoupBone wrote:

I understand completely, but honestly we cant really expect much from winter being in Texas, especially the further south you go. I think as the years go on we should expect warmer than average winters with the occasional "cold" winter thrown in. The winters sure weren't what they used to be when I was a kid.
2 likes   
#neversummer

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#157 Postby Brent » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:00 am

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

I understand completely, but honestly we cant really expect much from winter being in Texas, especially the further south you go. I think as the years go on we should expect warmer than average winters with the occasional "cold" winter thrown in. The winters sure weren't what they used to be when I was a kid.

Between this and the seemingly longer summers... I dunno how many more years I'm gonna stick around here. I really wanna give up north a try, at least for a year or two... I mean practically anywhere north has better weather lol
0 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#158 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:33 am

Brent wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

Between this and the seemingly longer summers... I dunno how many more years I'm gonna stick around here. I really wanna give up north a try, at least for a year or two... I mean practically anywhere north has better weather lol

I hear ya. I love Texas, I always have, but somewhere like Montana or Wyoming sure has a high appeal.
0 likes   
#neversummer

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#159 Postby SoupBone » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:46 pm

Brent wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

If true, I'm completely with you. I want to live somewhere with 4 distinct seasons, though I'm not really into brutal winters either.
0 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#160 Postby 1900hurricane » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:31 pm

I'm mulling over taking a trip to Big Bend in early or mid January before the semester starts. Hopefully things aren't too brutal around then.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Return to “Winter Weather”