Texas Winter 2017-2018

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
srainhoutx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#4641 Postby srainhoutx » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:58 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:Light mist just started falling in NW Harris County with my temperature sitting at 32F.

I hope this isn't another event where the precip just turns out to be freezing drizzle instead of light snow like the models indicate. Remember that happened a few years ago as well. Not fun.

It's been my major concern all afternoon and Jeff mentioned it in his afternoon briefing:

Hard Freeze warning in effect for tonight for all areas…including the coastal counties.

Band of light sleet/snow expected to develop and move across the region this evening between 600pm-midnight with a light dusting of accumulation possible.

Very cold conditions continue over the region today with College Station now on its 22 straight hour at or below freezing. BUSH IAH has only managed 33 this afternoon and as the sun sets expect the temperatures to fall quickly into the 20’s. Tail end of upper level short wave over TX appears to bring lift across the region this evening resulting in a band of mixed precipitation. While low level remain extremely dry, as experienced this morning, there appears to be enough moisture to allow light sleet/snow to reach the ground. The energy this evening may be a bit stronger than the episode this morning and a few quick bursts of moderate sleet/snow will be possible. With surface temperatures falling well below freezing this evening light accumulations will be possible especially on elevated surface which have now cooled close to or below freezing. This includes bridges and overpasses which can become slick as the initial sleet/snow melts and then refreezes into a thin layer of ice…as seen south of I-10 today over portions of Galveston and Brazoria Counties with the morning sleet. Will need to watch radar trends closely this evening for any enhancement of precipitation bands over the region. Radar is starting to show some echo enhancements near Austin which may be the start of this event.

Main item of concern tonight will be how cold will low temperatures fall. As skies clear after midnight and with the arctic surface high centered nearly over the region expect near excellent cooling conditions. Expect a damaging hard freeze for all areas with possible upper 10’s Walker, San Jacinto, Polk, Trinity, and Madison Counties. If skies are slower to clear then add about 2-5 degrees to most areas (or mid to upper 20’s).

Forecast Low Temperatures Wednesday Morning:

North of HWY 105: 18-22

North of US 59: 21-25

South of US 59: 24-28

0 likes   
Carla/Alicia/Jerry(In The Eye)/Michelle/Charley/Ivan/Dennis/Katrina/Rita/Wilma/Ike/Harvey

Member: National Weather Association
Wx Infinity Forums
http://wxinfinity.com/index.php

Facebook.com/WeatherInfinity
Twitter @WeatherInfinity

G'TownTxGal
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#4642 Postby G'TownTxGal » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:01 pm

Portastorm wrote:
longhornweather wrote:It was a bit surprising to me that the WWA was only issued until 7 pm.

NWS anticipates that the freezing drizzle will end by that time. Granted the ice which has accumulated won't be going anywhere this evening but I think we are supposed to clear out, cloud-wise, overnight. Given that and drying conditions and minimal precip falling, the process of sublimation will probably make us ice free by tomorrow morning.

:uarrow: I hope. Going back to work tomorrow. Need the drive from here to Barton Creek area to be clear.
0 likes   

EnnisTx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4643 Postby EnnisTx » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Anyone else noticed the radar returns in North Texas and southern Oklahoma?
2 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4644 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:05 pm

srainhoutx wrote:
srainhoutx wrote:Light mist just started falling in NW Harris County with my temperature sitting at 32F.

I hope this isn't another event where the precip just turns out to be freezing drizzle instead of light snow like the models indicate. Remember that happened a few years ago as well. Not fun.

It's been my major concern all afternoon and Jeff mentioned it in his afternoon briefing:

Hard Freeze warning in effect for tonight for all areas…including the coastal counties.

Band of light sleet/snow expected to develop and move across the region this evening between 600pm-midnight with a light dusting of accumulation possible.

Very cold conditions continue over the region today with College Station now on its 22 straight hour at or below freezing. BUSH IAH has only managed 33 this afternoon and as the sun sets expect the temperatures to fall quickly into the 20’s. Tail end of upper level short wave over TX appears to bring lift across the region this evening resulting in a band of mixed precipitation. While low level remain extremely dry, as experienced this morning, there appears to be enough moisture to allow light sleet/snow to reach the ground. The energy this evening may be a bit stronger than the episode this morning and a few quick bursts of moderate sleet/snow will be possible. With surface temperatures falling well below freezing this evening light accumulations will be possible especially on elevated surface which have now cooled close to or below freezing. This includes bridges and overpasses which can become slick as the initial sleet/snow melts and then refreezes into a thin layer of ice…as seen south of I-10 today over portions of Galveston and Brazoria Counties with the morning sleet. Will need to watch radar trends closely this evening for any enhancement of precipitation bands over the region. Radar is starting to show some echo enhancements near Austin which may be the start of this event.

Jeff seems to think no freezing rain here across southeast TX, but I'm beginning to wonder when and if the precip will changeover to sleet and snow.

Central TX folks, have yall seen any snow or sleet? Or has it just been freezing drizzle?
0 likes   

downsouthman1
Category 2
Category 2

#4645 Postby downsouthman1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:18 pm

srainhoutx wrote:

Jeff seems to think no freezing rain here across southeast TX, but I'm beginning to wonder when and if the precip will changeover to sleet and snow.

Central TX folks, have yall seen any snow or sleet? Or has it just been freezing drizzle?

I've only observed light drizzle.
0 likes   
Not a professional MET! My posts are merely speculation.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4646 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Returns near Lake Charles.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TexasF6
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4647 Postby TexasF6 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:28 pm

EnnisTx wrote:Anyone else noticed the radar returns in North Texas and southern Oklahoma?

RETURNS WEST OF DALLAS FT WORTH. MOVING EASTERLY....
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4648 Postby wxman57 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Model soundings for Houston show a precip column that is completely below freezing, with the exception of a small area right at the surface. This suggests snow vs. freezing rain or sleet.
1 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4649 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:37 pm

TexasF6 wrote:
EnnisTx wrote:Anyone else noticed the radar returns in North Texas and southern Oklahoma?

What returns?
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4650 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:37 pm

wxman57 wrote:Model soundings for Houston show a precip column that is completely below freezing, with the exception of a small area right at the surface. This suggests snow vs. freezing rain or sleet.

Just saw that with hrrr
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4651 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:38 pm

Any of that north of beaumont reaching the ground?
0 likes   

EnnisTx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4652 Postby EnnisTx » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:39 pm

TexasF6 wrote:

It has expanded just a little, not sure it's making it to the surface though. It should pass over me in about 30 minutes or so.
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4653 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:43 pm

wxman57 wrote:Model soundings for Houston show a precip column that is completely below freezing, with the exception of a small area right at the surface. This suggests snow vs. freezing rain or sleet.

Yeah but we know that the models sometimes bust on the temperature profile. I'm wondering if the HRRR has a good handle on the current temperatures above the surface right now.
0 likes   

JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

#4654 Postby JDawg512 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 pm

srainhoutx wrote:

Just freezing mist and drizzle. Still some mist occuring and 15 min to go before 7.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

TexasF6
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4655 Postby TexasF6 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:46 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:
TexasF6 wrote:

What returns?

On the TexasMesoNet radar. Same radar feature that drove Austin wild tonight. The dewpoints should be lower up there to kill it or make it virga though....
0 likes   

davidiowx
Category 1
Category 1

#4656 Postby davidiowx » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:47 pm

Looks like some precip building up to the NE of the Houston Metro area. Kinda where the HRRR was pinpointing today
0 likes   

longhornweather
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4657 Postby longhornweather » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Portastorm wrote:
longhornweather wrote:It was a bit surprising to me that the WWA was only issued until 7 pm.

NWS anticipates that the freezing drizzle will end by that time. Granted the ice which has accumulated won't be going anywhere this evening but I think we are supposed to clear out, cloud-wise, overnight. Given that and drying conditions and minimal precip falling, the process of sublimation will probably make us ice free by tomorrow morning.

Looks like they were right. Nothing much coming down anymore at my place in Georgetown.
0 likes   
This post is NOT AN OFFICIAL FORECAST and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4658 Postby bubba hotep » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:00 pm

Returns expanding as they move into Denton County. The 00z FWD sounding shows very dry low levels but some mid level moisture and a bit in the DGZ. I'll be holding out hope, given the impressive lift moving through the area lol
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Rgv20
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4659 Postby Rgv20 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:01 pm

No sleet down here just some drizzle since noon.....have a temperature of 34F

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Brownsville TX
550 PM CST Tue Jan 2 2018

TXZ250-251-253>255-030615-
Brooks-Kenedy-Hidalgo-Inland Willacy-Inland Cameron-
Including the cities of Falfurrias, Sarita, McAllen, Edinburg,
Pharr, Mission, Weslaco, Raymondville, Brownsville, and Harlingen
550 PM CST Tue Jan 2 2018

...Patchy freezing drizzle and sleet possible late tonight into
early Wednesday morning...

A surface trough of low pressure across the western Gulf of Mexico
will continue to provide areas of light rain and drizzle...mixed
with some patchy sleet...across eastern portions of deep south
Texas early this evening. With temperatures falling into the lower
30s tonight...some patches of freezing drizzle...especially on
bridges and overpasses that are elevated...may develop late
tonight as temperatures approach freezing. The light rain and
drizzle mixed with sleet will diminish from west to east after
midnight bringing an end to the threat of freezing drizzle early
Wednesday morning...as the coastal trough offshore the lower
Texas coast moves eastward and drier air filters into the lower
and middle portions of the Rio Grande valley and eastern portions
of the northern ranchlands Wednesday morning.

Motorists should exercise caution when crossing over bridges and
overpasses and should be on the lookout for patches of ice later
this evening into early Wednesday.

$$

Castillo
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4660 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:03 pm

bubba hotep wrote:

Returns expanding as they move into Denton County. The 00z FWD sounding shows very dry low levels but some mid level moisture and a bit in the DGZ. I'll be holding out hope, given the impressive lift moving through the area lol

Yeah it is a lot of lift. If we can get it to make it to the ground, some decent flurries? Wish we had reports from that way
2 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Winter Weather”