Texas Winter 2017-2018

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
JDawg512
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Winter 2017-2018

#4661 Postby JDawg512 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:13 pm

longhornweather wrote:
Portastorm wrote:
longhornweather wrote:It was a bit surprising to me that the WWA was only issued until 7 pm.

NWS anticipates that the freezing drizzle will end by that time. Granted the ice which has accumulated won't be going anywhere this evening but I think we are supposed to clear out, cloud-wise, overnight. Given that and drying conditions and minimal precip falling, the process of sublimation will probably make us ice free by tomorrow morning.

Looks like they were right. Nothing much coming down anymore at my place in Georgetown.

Just went out to check and its finally stopped here on the southside.
0 likes   
Resident Rain Miser

I am a weather hobbyist living 3.5 miles south of Downtown Austin and in no way or fashion should anything I say concerning forecasts be taken seriously. Please check your local NWS for accurate weather forecasting and conditions.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4662 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:23 pm

I think southern Louisiana is about to get a pretty good snow event
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4663 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:23 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:I think southern Louisiana is about to get a pretty good snow event

Yeah it may stay mostly east of us here in Houston...

Still hoping it back builds west this evening.
1 likes   

downsouthman1
Category 2
Category 2

#4664 Postby downsouthman1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:24 pm

Drizzle has stopped here as well.
0 likes   
Not a professional MET! My posts are merely speculation.

mcheer23
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4665 Postby mcheer23 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:28 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:
TeamPlayersBlue wrote:I think southern Louisiana is about to get a pretty good snow event

It should as the ULL gets closer
1 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4666 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:29 pm

Well the atmosphere is moist in some layers above us, as the s/w moves into the area, there will be some lift, this will help finish the job. We may not be in the best area for lift, but there will be lift above us.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#4667 Postby SoupBone » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:39 pm

And a big ole goose egg for Houston.
0 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4668 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:42 pm

Brent wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
Quixotic wrote:orangeblood, it's a lock as I will be travelling home one of those days.

Absolutely NOT a lock, it's still 8-9 plus days away so a lot can change but something that bears watching...will have a much better idea by this coming weekend

12z Euro is definitely a weird run has warmth here through the end of the run and when i go to Chicago next week a foot of snow lol

I don't buy it lol

But it definitely looks like big potential for someone next week

Looks like a Southern Plains hooker system to me. Both GFS and Euro indicates an Oklahoma event (for now) with lots of room. Lets hope the SW low is real this time. We've zoned in on Jan 10-15th pretty well. A phase would likely yield a blizzard for somebody. 1030s-1040s HP up north isn't too strong to suppress everything
3 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

mcheer23
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4669 Postby mcheer23 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Returns starting to show up near bellville
2 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4670 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:49 pm

SoupBone wrote:

And a big ole goose egg for Houston.

HRRR still says give it a couple more hours.
1 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4671 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:50 pm

Ntxw wrote:
Brent wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
Absolutely NOT a lock, it's still 8-9 plus days away so a lot can change but something that bears watching...will have a much better idea by this coming weekend

12z Euro is definitely a weird run has warmth here through the end of the run and when i go to Chicago next week a foot of snow lol

I don't buy it lol

But it definitely looks like big potential for someone next week

Looks like a Southern Plains hooker system to me. Both GFS and Euro indicates an Oklahoma event (for now) with lots of room. Lets hope the SW low is real this time. We've zoned in on Jan 10-15th pretty well. A phase would likely yield a blizzard for somebody. 1030s-1040s HP up north isn't too strong to suppress everything

About a 1044-1048 HP seems to be just right sometimes if the timing is there.
4 likes   

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#4672 Postby Ntxw » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:56 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:[About a 1044-1048 HP seems to be just right sometimes if the timing is there.

Yep. And source region isn't losing its cold anytime soon. Still seeing air moving across the pole this weekend.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4673 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Starting to fill in a bit from the NE
1 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4674 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:10 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Starting to fill in a bit from the NE

Sure is! We have about a 4 hour window to see some white gold here in Houston. I hope it's snow and not ice!
1 likes   

megsy
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4675 Postby megsy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:17 pm

We've got a little something here in Cinco Ranch - it's looking a little like graupel from my window. Haven't ventured outside to investigate. But it's very light.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#4676 Postby wxman57 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:23 pm

Nothing to report in SW Houston (Westbury). Temperature is 33 degrees. I was just out in the backyard wearing shorts and an undershirt (not a joke). Had to Windex my bedroom window so I could see out below the floodlights better. Living room felt a lot warmer when I got back in then when I first went outside.
0 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#4677 Postby SoupBone » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:24 pm

Sure is! We have about a 4 hour window to see some white gold here in Houston. I hope it's snow and not ice!

I hate to be Pessimistic Pete, but we've seen this before! Way too many times to count.
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4678 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:28 pm

SoupBone wrote:

I hate to be Pessimistic Pete, but we've seen this before! Way too many times to count.

If it makes it to the ground, according to the soundings, it will be snow. Starting to fill more and more, some specs in Harris county
0 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#4679 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:37 pm

There is a really really light precip outside here when i checked. I can see spots on my pool chairs.

Also, never had snow/sleet stick around all day on the roof like it did today. Lol.
0 likes   

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4680 Postby South Texas Storms » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:43 pm

Getting a moderate sleet shower at my house right now just southeast of Downtown Houston. Temp is 33F.
1 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”