Texas Spring 2018

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Texas Spring 2018

#141 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:53 am

Ntxw wrote:+5.7F for March so far at DFW almost mid month. Rainfall is -1.18" below normal. The very -NAO has been great in the northeast US. For us, it has been a dud first half of this month.

It's hard to get winter wx in N. Texas in March but the data shows that our best chances are when there is a -NAO. The models are pointing towards a return to a more western based trough with the PNA/EPO/WPO all going some version of negative over the next two weeks.
0 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#142 Postby Portastorm » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:38 pm

Ntxw wrote:+5.7F for March so far at DFW almost mid month. Rainfall is -1.18" below normal. The very -NAO has been great in the northeast US. For us, it has been a dud first half of this month.

Same here in Austin. Camp Mabry is running +6.0F for March and the airport site is even warmer at +6.5F. Rainfall running about -0.80" below normal averaging out between the two sites.
0 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#143 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:48 pm

What an amazing feeling day. Currently 50 degrees with a chilly North wind. Possibly another freeze on tap for tonight. It’s hard to beat a March day like this.
2 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#144 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:55 pm

bubba hotep wrote:

It's hard to get winter wx in N. Texas in March but the data shows that our best chances are when there is a -NAO. The models are pointing towards a return to a more western based trough with the PNA/EPO/WPO all going some version of negative over the next two weeks.

In the longer range, it looks like we could see another round of -NAO as we head into the end of the month and early April. If we get a -EPO, there would be a very small chance of a miracle winter wx system for Texas with a
-EPO/NAO combo.
3 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#145 Postby wxman57 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Cerlin wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
Portastorm wrote:We hit 90 today in Austin. I see the Euro has more of that for us in about a week. Looks like wxman57 is taking control.

You have nothing to complain about, Portastorm. I brought you winter weather, as I promised. You knew this was coming...

Does that mean DFW will be wet and below normal because we didn’t get the winter weather we were promised? :)

Nope. You got extreme cold and ice up there, though you didn't get as much snow as you would have liked, that's the best I could do. I'll be taking over the thermostat in 8 days.
2 likes   

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#146 Postby Cerlin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:08 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Cerlin wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
You have nothing to complain about, Portastorm. I brought you winter weather, as I promised. You knew this was coming...

Does that mean DFW will be wet and below normal because we didn’t get the winter weather we were promised? :)

Nope. You got extreme cold and ice up there, though you didn't get as much snow as you would have liked, that's the best I could do. I'll be taking over the thermostat in 8 days.

I suppose you’re right, we did get lots of cold and 10 sleet pellets...have at it with the thermostat! :wink:
0 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#147 Postby Brent » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:08 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Cerlin wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

That snow didnt even really qualify as snow :P The only real snow I saw this winter was in NYC...
Last edited by Brent on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 likes   
#neversummer

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#148 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 pm

wxman57 wrote:
Cerlin wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

Fake news
5 likes   
#neversummer

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#149 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Even when the GFS gets crazy the Panhandle can't get any moisture...

1 likes   

weatherdude1108
Category 5
Category 5

#150 Postby weatherdude1108 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:25 pm

It's snowing here in Washington DC! :froze: :)
5 likes   
The preceding post is NOT an official forecast, and should not be used as such. It is only the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Texas Snowman
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#151 Postby Texas Snowman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
Cerlin wrote:Does that mean DFW will be wet and below normal because we didn’t get the winter weather we were promised? :)

Fake news

Tell him Yukon, tell him!

:lol:
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Texas Snowman is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#152 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:15 am

Picked up another freeze this morning. Hopefully this isn’t the last one of the season but probably a decent chance that it could be. 50s on tap again for today.
1 likes   
#neversummer

hriverajr
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#153 Postby hriverajr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:50 am

Portastorm wrote:
wxman57 wrote:
Portastorm wrote:We hit 90 today in Austin. I see the Euro has more of that for us in about a week. Looks like wxman57 is taking control.

Yes you did deliver the winter goods and now I must accept our (warm) fate.

We got nothing in del rio...
0 likes   

EnnisTx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#154 Postby EnnisTx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:10 pm

Texas Snowman wrote:
Yukon Cornelius wrote:
wxman57 wrote:

Fake news

Tell him Yukon, tell him!

:lol:

#fakenews #no control over the thermostat #bike rides in the wet cool summer
3 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#155 Postby bubba hotep » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 pm

Don't shot the messenger but the Euro EPS has been trending snowier for DFW towards the end of March.
5 likes   

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#156 Postby Brent » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:17 pm

bubba hotep wrote:Don't shot the messenger but the Euro EPS has been trending snowier for DFW towards the end of March.

lol is that really possible
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ralph's Weather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#157 Postby Ralph's Weather » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:17 am

Is this the last freeze of the season? 32 here this morning. Past few mornings have all been in the 30s.
0 likes   
Follow on Facebook at Ralph's Weather.

Yukon Cornelius
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#158 Postby Yukon Cornelius » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:22 am

Ralph's Weather wrote:Is this the last freeze of the season? 32 here this morning. Past few mornings have all been in the 30s.

Same here. Also a pretty decent frost. It will be interesting to see if the mesquites and pecans start putting on foliage now that this small cool snap is over. The old guy down the road that I help out says to still not plant a garden or put seed in the ground just yet.
0 likes   
#neversummer

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#159 Postby Ntxw » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:51 am

In 1962 today 2.2" of snow fell at DFW. The latest greater than 1" snowfall at DFW is 2.0" in 1937 March 29th.

Can it snow in late March? Yes but odds drop significantly. The only way it will happen is if some freak 500mb deep bowling ball low occurs that dramatically cools the atmosphere and the surface temps are close to freezing.

CPC has below normal temps and above normal precip for just about the whole country, except Texas where they have above normal to near normal and drier than normal. Vernal Equinox is just some days away.
1 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#160 Postby Brent » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 pm

just looking at the models I think Dallas is more likely to hit 90 than have snow...

but maybe I'm wrong :lol: But after our luck this winter I ain't holding my breath
0 likes   
#neversummer

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”