2018 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2018 Tropics: Global Model Runs Discussion (Out to day 16)

#41 Postby Aric Dunn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:00 pm

But it is such a happy medium sized fella for however long it survives as it moves towards the bahamas.. lol

https://i.imgur.com/EPYhQ2p.mp4
3 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:42 pm

If this was next month or June it could’ve easily been a candidate for a named TD or Storm. With the Tropical Atlantic looking iffy this season this and the Western Caribbean, and Gulf will likely be the places to look for development or delayed development from Tropical Waves.

6 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#43 Postby cycloneye » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:00 pm

@MJVentrice
GFS flirting w/the idea for a tropical low pressure to attempt genesis off the Carolina coast next Tues; Our calibrated GEFS only show a 10% risk. The reason for this tweet is not to say hey, watch for genesis.. but is related to models seeing a shift away from Winter (finally!)

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/985920914272505858

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#44 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:42 am

The 12Z GFS has me really intrigued with regards to the potent shortwave forecast to move along the Gulf Coast region and later across North Florida on Monday. The GFS is depicting a 1007 mb Low to move very slowly over the Northeast Florida area, and then become nearly stationary just off the coast of Jacksonville by Tuesday. Looks like a ridge of High Pressure in the Northeast and New England region will block this.storm from moving out and away from the region for much of next week.

This could be quite a heavy rain threat for North Florida and South Georgia. Sunday into Monday.

An interesting feature, but we have seen sub-tropical systems form in this area off the Southeast U.S. coast in April and May in recent years. It is something to watch next week.
3 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#45 Postby LarryWx » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm

northjaxpro wrote:The 12Z GFS has me really intrigued with regards to the potent shortwave forecast to move along the Gulf Coast region and later across North Florida on Monday. The GFS is depicting a 1007 mb Low to move very slowly over the Northeast Florida area, and then become nearly stationary just off the coast of Jacksonville by Tuesday. Looks like a ridge of High Pressure in the Northeast and New England region will block this.storm from moving out and away from the region for much of next week.

This could be quite a heavy rain threat for North Florida and South Georgia. Sunday into Monday.

An interesting feature, but we have seen sub-tropical systems form in this area off the Southeast U.S. coast in April and May in recent years. It is something to watch next week.

I'm not worried about a strong storm wind wise and doubt this would be subtropical, but I also am looking at the heavy rain potential. Absent a flooding event, this would be quite beneficial for S SC and SE GA, which until a couple of days ago were in the largest area of D2 drought in the E half of the US. Will be watching closely!
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#46 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:13 pm

:uarrow: It is the rain threat I am looking at mostly as I referenced in my earlier post. I don't think it will mature to be a big wind-maker either. However, precedent is there for the slight chance of it transitioning to a sub-tropical feature once it gets out near the Gulf Stream next week. The presence of that blocking ridge next week will definitely have this system meandering for days off the S.E. U.S. Atlantic coast.
3 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby LarryWx » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:50 pm

northjaxpro wrote::uarrow: It is the rain threat I am looking at mostly as I referenced in my earlier post. I don't think it will mature to be a big wind-maker either. However, precedent is there for the slight chance of it transitioning to a sub-tropical feature once it gets out near the Gulf Stream next week. The presence of that blocking ridge next week will definitely have this system meandering for days off the S.E. U.S. Atlantic coast.

Due to the slow movement as well as large size of the progged storm's significant precip. area, the 12Z EPS mean has a whopping 1.5-2.5" for all of GA/SC and most of FL/AL, N MS, and S NC between this Saturday and next Wednesday! Wow, that's a lot of rain for this time of year especially with it over such a large area.

Edit: I do think there's a small chance that areas like the W NC mountains could get significant snow from this due to this very far south track for this time of year.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#48 Postby LarryWx » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

The EPS is still quite wet for much of the SE. However, the axis of heaviest rains on the 12Z GFS has shifted a bit further north because the low's track on the GFS is now a little north of KSAV vs KJAX a couple of days ago. The GFS no longer has the center going offshore the SE US. This NW trend is typical of the GFS with extratropical low tracks as one gets closer to the actual event.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#49 Postby cycloneye » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:30 am

Here we go again with the old GFS doing it's thing of showing phanthoms.Hopefully,the new GFS that comes out in 2019 eliminates these.

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#50 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:36 pm

12z Euro spins up what looks like a brief Subtropical Storm in the Central Subtropical Atlantic in 48hrs FWIW.
3 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#51 Postby cycloneye » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:41 pm

Subtropical Storm Alberto?

3 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby Kazmit » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:43 am

Interesting.

2 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#53 Postby Alyono » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:00 am

have a look at the simulated IR. Purely ET
2 likes   

OuterBanker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#54 Postby OuterBanker » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:38 am

Alyono wrote:have a look at the simulated IR. Purely ET

Alyono. Do you mean Extratropical of Extraterrestrial?

After all it is the GFS!
4 likes   

Weather150
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#55 Postby Weather150 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:44 pm

GFS and FV3-GFS along with the Euro, CMC, and ICON briefly, are all trying to form some tropical disturbance next weekend. Still in the 200+ hour, so a lot can and will change.
5 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#56 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:27 pm

:uarrow: Likely just yet another annual phantom storm being portrayed by our friend the GFS. Also at the same time it develops and blows up a hurricane which goes onto making landfall in SW Mexico.

What we can take is that the SW Atlantic is likely to be the hotspot in my opinion this upcoming season.
5 likes   

Weather150
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#57 Postby Weather150 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:34 am

TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: Likely just yet another annual phantom storm being portrayed by our friend the GFS. Also at the same time it develops and blows up a hurricane which goes onto making landfall in SW Mexico.

What we can take is that the SW Atlantic is likely to be the hotspot in my opinion this upcoming season.

It honestly very well may be, but it is worth a watch nonetheless, the CCKW/MJO will be favorable at the time.
0 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#58 Postby gatorcane » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:48 am

TheStormExpert wrote::uarrow: Likely just yet another annual phantom storm being portrayed by our friend the GFS. Also at the same time it develops and blows up a hurricane which goes onto making landfall in SW Mexico.

Maybe not a phantom for the SW Atlantic system. The Euro has a similar solution now. Note that if this comes to fruition, the GFS first started picking it up 12+ days out so very impressive.
4 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#59 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:12 am

The GFS replacement model FV3 is more bullish than the actual GFS. They are testing this model.

1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#60 Postby cycloneye » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:40 pm

cycloneye wrote:The GFS replacement model FV3 is more bullish than the actual GFS. They are testing this model.

https://i.imgur.com/ZbjE707.png

12z run not so much but as the actual GFS,it has a big rain event for Puerto Rico,Hispanola and adjacent Islands from next Friday.

0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”