Watching Western Caribbean (Is INVEST 91L)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Watching Western Caribbean (Is INVEST 91L)

#1 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:49 pm

I think is time to have a thread for the SW Caribbean area that mainly GFS has been showing development for many runs and CMC has been showing it too. Although there has not been mentioned in the TWO's,there is an incipient area of convection so that is good to have the new thread.So let's see how things turn out about this if it develops or not so post away the model runs and comments.

5 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Watching SW Caribbean

#2 Postby NotSparta » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Some convection bubbling

4 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:56 pm

I was wondering when you would do that. Lol
1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#4 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:I was wondering when you would do that. Lol

One criteria for making a thread has been met finnally and I am following the S2K order to make a thread. :D

See here :rarrow: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=109634&p=2126596#p2126596
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:08 pm

cycloneye wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:I was wondering when you would do that. Lol

One criteria for making a thread has been met finnally and I am following the S2K order to make a thread. :D

See here :rarrow: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=109634&p=2126596#p2126596

Yep, and i bet the nhc follows suit .. assuming convection persists overnight
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

Twisted-core
Category 1
Category 1

#6 Postby Twisted-core » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:09 pm

GFS 18z was looking interesting with the monsoon flow still attached in GOM.

https://imgur.com/VXZz0Ql

https://imgur.com/lMb6QWV

https://imgur.com/HpMvCFx

EPS
https://imgur.com/exvuU1r
1 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby psyclone » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Meanwhile the NHC continues to say...buzzers. As a novice, the fact they can't squeeze out one thin dime (10% weak lemon over 5 days) speaks volumes. Let's see if they can toss us something in the next day or two..
0 likes   

Ian2401
Category 1
Category 1

#8 Postby Ian2401 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:27 pm

psyclone wrote:Meanwhile the NHC continues to say...buzzers. As a novice, the fact they can't squeeze out one thin dime (10% weak lemon over 5 days) speaks volumes. Let's see if they can toss us something in the next day or two..

I think it highlights just how little stock they put into the GFS model...and to be honest I can't blame them. The GFS is basically a joke at this point if it's wrong about this storm.
1 likes   
FSU '24 student pursuing a degree in meteorology. Consult NHC for official information.

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby stormreader » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:
wxman22 wrote:The 18z GFS looks more realistic with the strength of the system.

[img]https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2018061018/gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_30.png[/ig]

yeah it spends a lot more time over land. which is likely the case given the set up./

That’s where some of you on this board can help with understanding how well structured this system will be (assuming development). Sometimes even depressions over land can have a well organized structure that enables these systems to develop more rapidly than expected when back over water. One element might be the already apparent vorticity which you have commented on and is forecast for the next48 hours in the SW Caribbean.
1 likes   

Ian2401
Category 1
Category 1

#10 Postby Ian2401 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Convection still persisting
1 likes   
FSU '24 student pursuing a degree in meteorology. Consult NHC for official information.

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby stormreader » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:53 pm

NDG wrote:Convection and vorticiy have really increased during the day today.
Saved vis loop:

Yes. Some systems seem to have that extra amount of energy or vorticity even when in an embryonic stage. Models that called for a major in the GOM (and that may not happen due to land interaction etc...) may have been picking up on quite a bit of latent potential ( for whatever reason) in this particular June system.
0 likes   

stormreader
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby stormreader » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Ian2401 wrote:
psyclone wrote:Meanwhile the NHC continues to say...buzzers. As a novice, the fact they can't squeeze out one thin dime (10% weak lemon over 5 days) speaks volumes. Let's see if they can toss us something in the next day or two..

I think it highlights just how little stock they put into the GFS model...and to be honest I can't blame them. The GFS is basically a joke at this point if it's wrong about this storm.

I’ve never been a GFS fan. But it did a solid job with Alberto in May. I had to admit it. Now we have this potential June system. The GFS is not alone in forecasting tropical development from the EPAC/ Carribean monsoonal flow pattern. Alberto came from a similar gyre or area. I think the percentages are in favor of development. Could be seeing actual evidence of development right now in SW Carribean. Let’s see.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#13 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:23 pm

@webberweather
Twin TUTTs in opposing hemispheres are currently coupled to the leading edge of a large CCKW entering stage left from the NE Pacific. The TUTTs further reinforce large-scale upper level divergence and forcing associated w/ the CCKW and could help spur TCG in the Atlantic. Classic

https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/1005864245895094273

3 likes   

ROCK
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby ROCK » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:23 pm

CMC , NAVGEM..GFS..all show development..that’s a whole lot of global right there. Can’t discount them all. SW Carib looking juicy tonight..
3 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#15 Postby SFLcane » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:29 pm

ROCK wrote:CMC , NAVGEM..GFS..all show development..that’s a whole lot of global right there. Can’t discount them all. SW Carib looking juicy tonight..

A whole lot of nada...European remains silent.
1 likes   

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#16 Postby Alyono » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:38 pm

SFLcane wrote:
ROCK wrote:CMC , NAVGEM..GFS..all show development..that’s a whole lot of global right there. Can’t discount them all. SW Carib looking juicy tonight..

stop being married to the Euro

how many times does it have to screw up a monsoon genesis before people understand that this is one of the model's biggest weaknesses?
10 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:40 pm

Alyono wrote:
SFLcane wrote:

how many times does it have to screw up a monsoon genesis before people understand that this is one of the model's biggest weaknesses?

Are there any examples of monsoon genesis storms in the Atlantic in the past that the Euro missed?
0 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:41 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
Alyono wrote:
SFLcane wrote:

Are there any examples of monsoon genesis storms in the Atlantic in the past that the Euro missed?

countless...
3 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#19 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Ok,that is all about sidebar issues. Any opinions about Eric Webb's message?
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:55 pm

cycloneye wrote:Ok,that is all about sidebar issues. Any opinions about Eric Webb's message?

the ingredients are there. just that silly land stuff getting in the way lol
2 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”