Moderator: S2k Moderators

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: FLORENCE - Hurricane - Discussion

#4641 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:50 am

seahawkjd wrote:
MissKandi wrote:
southerngale wrote:Ever heard of the app Zello? I hadn't, but it was praised by the Cajun Navy on Fox News this morning as one of the resources they use to rescue people who need rescuing. I just joined. You can text comments or speak, but voice should only be used for emergencies and rescue information.
I've already heard many requests for rescue, including 2 kids from a fallen tree, another man from a fallen tree, a lady saying she hasn't been able to reach family (friends?) in hours after they said water was approaching their house, and multiple flooding requests.

Zello is a godsend in these situations. Many groups out there working SAR right now.

Yes I was fortunate enough to be able to help them a bit with dispatch and Zello was amazing. I've started suggesting it to any groups that need a good radio / walkie talkie type system on the fly.

In conditions this harsh, nobody should be out there who isn't a trained professional. Plenty of USAR Task Forces in the area...unlike Harvey, this isn't a manpower issue, it's an access issue. Once the winds begin to lighten up, local EOCs will deploy every available resource into the hot zone. If first responders don't think its safe, its not safe.

Wilmington getting pulverized right now...100mph gust recorded in Wilmington.
1 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

O Town
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4642 Postby O Town » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:53 am

seahawkjd wrote:
Bunkertor wrote:Flag and Flagpole are gone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4Nxk ... e=youtu.be

Nah it looks like they put up a new one a few minutes ago after turning the camera from the tattered one

Edit: nvm, its a best of feed.

Yeah no way it looks that calm and gorgeous right now. I was watching the pole bend and vibrate like a rubberband before dark last night, and just the stars and few strips on bottom remained of the flag. Knew it wouldn’t last.
2 likes   

#ORLANDOSTRONG

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#4643 Postby artist » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:55 am

Hurricane Andrew wrote:
seahawkjd wrote:
MissKandi wrote:
Zello is a godsend in these situations. Many groups out there working SAR right now.

Yes I was fortunate enough to be able to help them a bit with dispatch and Zello was amazing. I've started suggesting it to any groups that need a good radio / walkie talkie type system on the fly.

In conditions this harsh, nobody should be out there who isn't a trained professional. Plenty of USAR Task Forces in the area...unlike Harvey, this isn't a manpower issue, it's an access issue. Once the winds begin to lighten up, local EOCs will deploy every available resource into the hot zone. If first responders don't think its safe, its not safe.

If it weren’t for volunteer rescue groups, many people would have died in Harvey. They have their place.
3 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4644 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:55 am

If you're going to an attic, for goodness sake, bring an axe, halligan, and/or saw.

First responders suspending rescues at the moment...staging resources to deploy in once the worst of the storm has passed.
2 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#4645 Postby artist » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:57 am

Ten more were just rescued.
1 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4646 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:58 am

artist wrote:
Hurricane Andrew wrote:
seahawkjd wrote:

If it weren’t for volunteer rescue groups, many people would have died in Harvey. They have their place.

Oh, for sure. I am not denying that. But they also have their limitations, and if they are going to be a major responding aspect going forward, need to be properly vetted and trained by professional agencies prior to incident activation.

Also, as I said, this is a different situation from Harvey. For one, there are A LOT more USAR task forces in place already; a lesson learned from Harvey and Irma. Secondly, the most important aspect of ANY incident response is a unified command system. ICS protocols (NIMS, etc) MUST be followed to ensure the best distribution of resources.

Without getting too far off topic, yes, volunteer rescue groups DEFINITELY have their place going forward. But they need to be vetted, trained, and placed under the command structure of the ICS.
3 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

artist
Category 5
Category 5

#4647 Postby artist » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:00 am

Hurricane Andrew wrote:If you're going to an attic, for goodness sake, bring an axe, halligan, and/or saw.

First responders suspending rescues at the moment...staging resources to deploy in once the worst of the storm has passed.

The mayor told them to get to their attics when they couldn’t get to them but did not mention that.
1 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4648 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:04 am

artist wrote:
Hurricane Andrew wrote:If you're going to an attic, for goodness sake, bring an axe, halligan, and/or saw.

The mayor told them to get to their attics when they couldn’t get to them but did not mention that.

If you have to cut your way out, you'll want something to do it with; most attics, you can't tear your way out with your hands. A hammer is good, but might not be enough. An axe is preferable, or a battery-operated saw. Gas-operated saws would work, but would also produce a lot of fumes...it's better than drowning, yes, but one must avoid CO poisoning. A halligan bar (common in firefighting circles, as well as some maintenance work) is an outstanding tool to bust through things. It can also serve as a step to climb up onto the roof once you cut the hole.

Actually, that brings up another point I want to stress. If you are stuck in your house, DO NOT RUN GENERATORS, GAS-OPERATED DEVICES, VEHICLES, ETC in an ENCLOSED SPACE! You'll be unconscious before you realize what's going on. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is an effect of time and level...the greater the time and/or the higher the level, the worse the effects.
3 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

ObsessedMiami
Category 1
Category 1

#4649 Postby ObsessedMiami » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:05 am

artist wrote:

Goodness does no one remember Katrina and the horror of the attics of the Lower Ninth Ward?
3 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4650 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:23 am

0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4651 Postby GCANE » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:24 am

0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4652 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:27 am

ObsessedMiami wrote:
artist wrote:

Goodness does no one remember Katrina and the horror of the attics of the Lower Ninth Ward?
and people are supposed to listen to their local govt..if you are govt official in a hurricane area you should know better than to send people to attics and even with a hatchet many people could't cut through it, you go to the roof and as part of your hurricane prep make sure you have a ladder tall enough to get up there safely..if all of this is too much than you must evacuate
2 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4653 Postby southerngale » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:30 am

From Zello
1 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4654 Postby NDG » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:30 am

Perhaps Florence is starting to take that WSW to SW heading as advertised towards Myrtle Beach.

2 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4655 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:34 am

Southerngale, have you tried passing that info on to a local EOC or 911 center? They have resources pre-staged; once the winds die down (usually 50mph is cap for water rescues), they will be deploying SWR/USAR teams en masse.
1 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

KC7NEC
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#4656 Postby KC7NEC » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:36 am

This may come off cold and harsh but the reality is as long as governments continue to rescue people putting first responders lives at stake people will not evacuate. People know that deep down if they are that 1 in a 1000 case when the odds stack up against them there wl be help coming.

MANDATORY EVACUATION does not need to mean you have to leave... What it does need to start meaning, and sticking to it is that your life is in your hands. We are not sending ANY help during a certain time period of time.

I know as humans we all have compassion for one another but people need to learn, and understand personal responsibilities and we collectively need to quit sending help into these type situations so people understand there is no back up safety net.

Not a Official or meteorologist. All opinions and statements are my own. Consult the experts.
4 likes   
// Opinions are my own, I am not a Meteorologist. Consult the NHC or Local NWS and Emergency Management for current information in your area. //

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#4657 Postby cycloneye » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:37 am

Hurricane Florence Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL062018
735 AM EDT Fri Sep 14 2018

...CENTER OF THE EYE OF HURRICANE FLORENCE FINALLY MAKES LANDFALL
NEAR WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH NORTH CAROLINA...

NOAA Doppler weather radar data and surface observations indicate
that the center of the eye of Hurricane Florence made landfall along
the coast of North Carolina at 715 AM EDT...1115 UTC...near 34.2N
77.8W...which is near Wrightsville Beach. Maximum sustained winds
were estimated to be 90 mph (150 km/h), and the central pressure was
estimated to be 958 mb based on reports from the NOAA NOS observing
station at Johnny Mercer Pier in Wrightsville Beach.

SUMMARY OF 715 AM EDT...1115 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...34.2N 77.8W
ABOUT 5 MI...10 KM E OF WILMINGTON NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 265 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...958 MB...28.29 INCHES

$$
Forecaster Stewart
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4658 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:39 am

Outage Update - 1130z
North Carolina: 402,167
South Carolina: 12,626

I should note that the site I am using to aggregate this data does not have every utility company. There are tens of thousands of outages not being monitored, due to the site's limitations. In all likelihood, we are somewhere around a half a million at this point.
0 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

wx98
Category 5
Category 5

#4659 Postby wx98 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:41 am

Finally landfall at Wrightsville Beach. Watching these TWC nuts struggling to stand out in the wind...
0 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4660 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:41 am

KC7NEC wrote:This may come off cold and harsh but the reality is as long as governments continue to rescue people putting first responders lives at stake people will not evacuate. People know that deep down if they are that 1 in a 1000 case when the odds stack up against them there wl be help coming.

MANDATORY EVACUATION does not need to mean you have to leave... What it does need to start meaning, and sticking to it is that your life is in your hands. We are not sending ANY help during a certain time period of time.

I know as humans we all have compassion for one another but people need to learn, and understand personal responsibilities and we collectively need to quit sending help into these type situations so people understand there is no back up safety net.

Not a Official or meteorologist. All opinions and statements are my own. Consult the experts.
not harsh, the reality is the evacuations during a storm need to stop..this isnt 1970 when people can claim they didnt know it was coming
3 likes   

Return to “2018”