ATL: FLORENCE - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

funster
Category 3
Category 3

Re: ATL: FLORENCE - Hurricane - Discussion

#4721 Postby funster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:18 am

Maybe wobble or loop. Or could be some southerly component to movement and the Euro model was right about heading to SC coast after landfall. Hard to tell with the slow movement.

NDG wrote:Updated zoomed in radar loop. Perhaps just a cyclonic loop that it has been doing with half of the eye remaining offshore and getting reading to finally start move more inland soon.

https://i.imgur.com/1YDL3lH.gif
0 likes   

SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

#4722 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:18 am

Liatening local news eagle island is completely under water and USS north Carolina is underwater up to the guns. A family is trapped on the island in bad shape. Geez
0 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

SunnyThoughts
Category 5
Category 5

#4723 Postby SunnyThoughts » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:22 am

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:Liatening local news eagle island is completely under water and USS north Carolina is underwater up to the guns. A family is trapped on the island in bad shape. Geez

Wow, what channel are you watching/listening?
0 likes   

Hurricane Andrew
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4724 Postby Hurricane Andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:26 am

Outage Update - 1330z
North Carolina: 469,205
South Carolina: 32,359

We are over a half million without power...
1 likes   

The Enthusiast
NREMT-AEMT, WX nerd

Irene '11, Sandy '12, Irma '17 (SAR)

"Hard to think we were born to live this way..." -Wage War

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4725 Postby jlauderdal » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:27 am

funster wrote:Maybe wobble or loop. Or could be some southerly component to movement and the Euro model was right about heading to SC coast after landfall. Hard to tell with the slow movement.

NDG wrote:Updated zoomed in radar loop. Perhaps just a cyclonic loop that it has been doing with half of the eye remaining offshore and getting reading to finally start move more inland soon.

https://i.imgur.com/1YDL3lH.gif
stalled, maybe getting ready to move towards the west, imagine if this system was a 4-5 moving at this rate
1 likes   

SCHawkFan
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4726 Postby SCHawkFan » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:27 am

SEASON_CANCELED wrote:Liatening local news eagle island is completely under water and USS north Carolina is underwater up to the guns. A family is trapped on the island in bad shape. Geez

Up to the guns is a bit of an exaggeration unless the river has risen about 15 feet in the past hour.
1 likes   

dukeblue219
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4727 Postby dukeblue219 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:30 am

I've been wondering about that ship as it has very close personal connection to my family (not that PEOPLE aren't a bigger concern of course). It really would be a shame if she essentially "sank" under the surge because restoration would be almost a crippling expense I'd think.
0 likes   

ChrisN4BSA
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#4728 Postby ChrisN4BSA » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:30 am

Here's a live shot as of 9:14, there's no way that it's up to the guns.

Here's the link just in case it doesn't post correct:

https://imgur.com/a/5avuCJd
3 likes   

wardboy74
Tropical Wave
Tropical Wave

#4729 Postby wardboy74 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:39 am

ChrisN4BSA wrote:Here's a live shot as of 9:14, there's no way that it's up to the guns.

https://i.imgur.com/H2et2e0.png

Here's the link just in case it doesn't post correct:

https://imgur.com/a/5avuCJd

No way the battleship is underwater, it floats to a certain point.
1 likes   
Whiteville, Columbus County NC
Thanks for the information on this message forum.

dukeblue219
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4730 Postby dukeblue219 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:43 am

wardboy74 wrote:No way the battleship is underwater, it floats to a certain point.

Should have remembered the #1 rule of live reporting from landfalling hurricanes -- all initial reports are worthless until confirmed. There's a stunning amount of disinformation that gets spread around in this kind of event. If I had a dollar for every time a school, motel, or hospital was "collapsing", or a nickel for every report that an island was "totally underwater" I'd buy my own personal Hurricane Hunter plane.

Thanks to those who found the webcam.
5 likes   

SunnyThoughts
Category 5
Category 5

#4731 Postby SunnyThoughts » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:44 am

Was watching MSNBC on tv. They were talking to a lady in New Bern. She says there is about 3 ft of water intheir house but they have a second floor. They do NOT want to be rescued as they have an exit plan if need be. THey chose to stay and do not wish to put any rescuers at risk. She said some roofs are damaged and refridgeraters etc are floating around but they are safe for now.

Cnn showing some live footage of River Bend, NC with a reporter on a boat.
2 likes   

Raebie
Category 3
Category 3

#4732 Postby Raebie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:59 am

southerngale wrote:From Zello:

Update more than 60 people have been rescued from a collapsing motel in wilmington

Any word on which one??
1 likes   

LSU2001
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4733 Postby LSU2001 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:06 am

jlauderdal wrote:
Hurricane Andrew wrote:
artist wrote:Brandon Clement said the Cajun Navy has some people there helping rescue.

Not in these winds they aren't. They might be staging as well, but any fishing boat in 100mph gusts is going to have a really, really bad day.

Best thing for the CN and friends to do is report to local EOCs and request tasking. If the EOC deems that they need the help, they'll give them an assignment, and organize them under their own Incident Command System.
i know the cajun navy is trying to help but one of these days there is going to be a cajun navy disaster and the shine will wear off quickly.

For many years I have read and respected your posts. In this case though I really think you are misguided. The Cajun Navy is now one of the most experienced groups in the nation with floodwater rescue. Here in Louisiana we have to constantly deal with flooding either from simple rain events or from tropical systems. While they are a strictly volunteer group, most if not all of the volunteers grew up operating boats in shallow, debris filled waters. They are not a bunch of weekend warriors looking for attention. They are avid outdoorsmen for the most part that own equipment that most "official" agencies do not have. Or at least in limited numbers. They bring to the table experience, equipment, and a true desire to help others when the normal first response system is overwhelmed.
Several of my close friends are volunteers and they own surface drive, shallow draft boats, air boats, and shallow draft skiffs that can and do reach stranded people quicker and more effectively than most official agencies.
Take it for what it's worth but that's aren't a bunch of cowboys looking for attention!
9 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#4734 Postby southerngale » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 am

Raebie wrote:
southerngale wrote:From Zello:

Update more than 60 people have been rescued from a collapsing motel in wilmington

Any word on which one??

Unfortunately, no. Zello is brand new to me and different. It's basically to relay emergency dispatch and rescue information only, which is awesome. From what I can tell, they don't really give updates as many of the requests go to private messages, but occasionally, you see an update from someone in the area.
1 likes   
Please support Storm2k by making a donation today. It is greatly appreciated! Click here: Image

Image my Cowboys Image my RocketsImage my Astros

emings
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#4735 Postby emings » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:08 am

1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4736 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:22 am

Looks stalled, unfortunately.

1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#4737 Postby SconnieCane » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:24 am

:uarrow: I wonder if the Morehead City radar can hold out. Maria (much stronger obviously, but not for as long a duration) obliterated the San Juan radar, and IIRC Irma took out the Keys one.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#4738 Postby tolakram » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:29 am

Estimated Precip.
1 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

Ken711
Category 5
Category 5

#4739 Postby Ken711 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:31 am

1 likes   

jdjaguar
Category 2
Category 2

#4740 Postby jdjaguar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:41 am

tolakram wrote:Looks stalled, unfortunately.

https://i.imgur.com/niSI7PQ.gif

the center appears to be slowly drawn inland per the latest loop.

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/i ... X-N0Q-1-48
0 likes   

Return to “2018”