ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: ENSO: CPC May update: El Niño to persist thru Summer (70%) and Fall (55%-60%)

#10581 Postby NotSparta » Fri May 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Kingarabian wrote:A great way to view raw westerly winds and see if they're verifying, is through the buoys. Sharp long arrows pointing from west to east (longer the stronger) are beginning to appear just west of the dateline.
https://i.imgur.com/W3vSruQ.png

Here's a comparison with the WWB we saw in mid march and for same time period in 2005:
https://i.imgur.com/lGkWleB.png

Yeah, this is finally where we diverge from that 2005 analog. I'm surprised it hung around until May. There should be some warming at least of the subsfc soon.

However, it looks like this is the peak of the WWB. Even the CFS has backed off (w/ a drop in SSTA forecast). That means that if this won't significantly boost subsfc anomalies, we'll have to wait weeks. And already, at this point, the current El Niño isn't that healthy
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ENSO Updates

#10582 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun May 12, 2019 10:01 am

Looks like we have a down welling kelvin wave with the newest data
2 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#10583 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 13, 2019 7:54 am

2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10584 Postby NotSparta » Mon May 13, 2019 8:57 am

Thinking safest bet is warm neutral w/ weak El Niño close behind. Just not enough heat in the subsfc even considering the new KW, and it doesn't look like there will be another WWB until June, due to MJO
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

Re: ENSO: CPC Weekly update of 5/13/19: Big drop for Niño 3.4 from +0.9C last week to +0.5C

#10585 Postby cycloneye » Mon May 13, 2019 9:12 am

A big drop from last week +0.9C to now +0.5C in this weeks update.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... ts-web.pdf
1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: ENSO: CPC Weekly update of 5/13/19: Big drop for Niño 3.4 from +0.9C last week to +0.5C

#10586 Postby NotSparta » Mon May 13, 2019 9:47 am

cycloneye wrote:A big drop from last week +0.9C to now +0.5C in this weeks update.

Think you can blame some of the cooling on the cool area around 130°W

1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10587 Postby Kingarabian » Mon May 13, 2019 9:50 am

cycloneye wrote:A big drop from last week (+0.9C to now +0.5C in this weeks update.

Looks like its due to Nino 3 tanking. That PDF has PENTAD graphics that show cooler anomalies mixing in at the surface beneath Nino 3. With Nino 4 rising looks like the Modoki signature is back.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10588 Postby Kingarabian » Mon May 13, 2019 9:55 am

NotSparta wrote:Thinking safest bet is warm neutral w/ weak El Niño close behind. Just not enough heat in the subsfc even considering the new KW, and it doesn't look like there will be another WWB until June, due to MJO

This is interestingly similar to what we saw last year. I remember last year at this time time there was a period of relaxed trades across the CPAC/EPAC followed by a WWB in June that didnt do much but kept the status quo going. SSTs were in the +0.3C/+0.5C area until October.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10589 Postby NotSparta » Mon May 13, 2019 10:05 am

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:Thinking safest bet is warm neutral w/ weak El Niño close behind. Just not enough heat in the subsfc even considering the new KW, and it doesn't look like there will be another WWB until June, due to MJO

This is interestingly similar to what we saw last year. I remember last year at this time time there was a period of relaxed trades across the CPAC/EPAC followed by a WWB in June that didnt do much but kept the status quo going. SSTs were in the +0.3C/+0.5C area until October.

Yeah, w/ the WAM waking up I think the ENSO is getting stuck in warm neutral again as the monsoon standing wave overpowers the ENSO one (this hasn't happened yet). The subsfc is cool but there is a small downwelling KW coming, which would bump Niño SSTAs up. Anyway I agree w/ you, sticking around in the warm side of warm neutral looks like a good call currently.

There's the big Pacific warm pool again which would promote an active season in the EP/CP, and the possibility of an above average Atlantic season, would be interesting if that happened again
0 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10590 Postby GeneratorPower » Mon May 13, 2019 10:05 am

This is really closing in on a La Nada if you ask me. I just don't think it's a serious factor for the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season. What I am watching is the anomalies in the Pacific off the immediate coast of South America, Central America and Mexico. If you see cool/neutral there, it will mean sinking air there. Which pumps rising air to the east (GOM/ATL), where it matters. If you see that you know ATL season is not going to be impeded by ENSO this year.
2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10591 Postby Kingarabian » Mon May 13, 2019 10:10 am

GeneratorPower wrote:This is really closing in on a La Nada if you ask me. I just don't think it's a serious factor for the upcoming Atlantic hurricane season. What I am watching is the anomalies in the Pacific off the immediate coast of South America, Central America and Mexico. If you see cool/neutral there, it will mean sinking air there. Which pumps rising air to the east (GOM/ATL), where it matters. If you see that you know ATL season is not going to be impeded by ENSO this year.

Cant be a La Nada since we're in a present El Nino and theoretically theres enough juice to keep ONI at El Nino threshold for the next several months. Almost setting up to be exactly like last year. Nino 1+2 was similar last year as well.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10592 Postby Kingarabian » Mon May 13, 2019 10:12 am

NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

Yeah, w/ the WAM waking up I think the ENSO is getting stuck in warm neutral again as the monsoon standing wave overpowers the ENSO one (this hasn't happened yet). The subsfc is cool but there is a small downwelling KW coming, which would bump Niño SSTAs up. Anyway I agree w/ you, sticking around in the warm side of warm neutral looks like a good call currently.

There's the big Pacific warm pool again which would promote an active season in the EP/CP, and the possibility of an above average Atlantic season, would be interesting if that happened again

Unless we get a few more rounds of strong trades by July.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10593 Postby NotSparta » Mon May 13, 2019 10:18 am

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

Unless we get a few more rounds of strong trades by July.

You mean for ENSO?
1 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#10594 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon May 13, 2019 11:37 am

Shocking to see the Niño 3.4 cool so much during the WWB. It could be a delayed response, but so far this WWB did not do what it needed in order to kick start the Niño into steady growth. We are still in an El Niño for the time being, but with the subsurface quite cool and this downwelling KW not looking very impressive so far, ENSO dropping into warm neutral territory at some point this summer is not out of the question.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#10595 Postby stormlover2013 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:13 pm

Yep neural is looking more likely come aug-nov!!
1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10596 Postby Kingarabian » Mon May 13, 2019 2:49 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:Shocking to see the Niño 3.4 cool so much during the WWB. It could be a delayed response, but so far this WWB did not do what it needed in order to kick start the Niño into steady growth. We are still in an El Niño for the time being, but with the subsurface quite cool and this downwelling KW not looking very impressive so far, ENSO dropping into warm neutral territory at some point this summer is not out of the question.

Cooling happening east of where the WWB is occurring where the trades are still running above average. The Euro forecast shows that the trades will slow down considerably for the rest of the month so we will likely see Nino 3.4 fluctuate between +0.4C/+0.8C until June.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#10597 Postby stormlover2013 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:01 pm

lol EURO has struggled man....don't buy it one bit
2 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#10598 Postby TheStormExpert » Mon May 13, 2019 3:05 pm

stormlover2013 wrote:lol EURO has struggled man....don't buy it one bit

The Euro hasn’t been living up to what it was known for for several years now!
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10599 Postby Kingarabian » Mon May 13, 2019 3:11 pm

stormlover2013 wrote:lol EURO has struggled man....don't buy it one bit

In terms of zonal wind activity, what did it do wrong?
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#10600 Postby CyclonicFury » Mon May 13, 2019 4:23 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
CyclonicFury wrote:Shocking to see the Niño 3.4 cool so much during the WWB. It could be a delayed response, but so far this WWB did not do what it needed in order to kick start the Niño into steady growth. We are still in an El Niño for the time being, but with the subsurface quite cool and this downwelling KW not looking very impressive so far, ENSO dropping into warm neutral territory at some point this summer is not out of the question.

Cooling happening east of where the WWB is occurring where the trades are still running above average. The Euro forecast shows that the trades will slow down considerably for the rest of the month so we will likely see Nino 3.4 fluctuate between +0.4C/+0.8C until June.

Slow down considerably? Hasn't the WWB already peaked? It does appear that trades will be relaxed, but the peak of the WWB has already occurred.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”