Looks Like the CPHC Web Site Was Merged with NHC

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
galaxy401
Category 5
Category 5

Looks Like the CPHC Web Site Was Merged with NHC

#1 Postby galaxy401 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:32 pm

On the main NHC Page, there are now three tabs for the Atlantic, EPAC, and the CPAC. Clicking on the CPHC website on Google redirects me to the NHC. On the TCR reports there is now an additional tab with the CPAC storms but it seems that all the CPAC reports are missing.

I wonder if this is to increase efficiency with the two organizations for the upcoming hurricane season. Maybe it will speed things up like the reports.
1 likes   
Got my eyes on moving right into Hurricane Alley: Florida.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: Looks Like the CPHC Web Site Was Merged with NHC

#2 Postby Kingarabian » Wed May 15, 2019 5:00 pm

Yeah looks like they have:

As a heavy CPHC user, I hope this continues the improvements we saw in the storm advisory packages from last year. Excited to see the CPHC staff receive assistance from the NHC.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed May 15, 2019 5:16 pm

I don't think they have actually merged into one entity. As far as I know, just the website was merged.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby Kingarabian » Wed May 15, 2019 5:31 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:I don't think they have actually merged into one entity. As far as I know, just the website was merged.

I'm sure the CPHC will still issue forecasts from the NWS @ the University of Hawaii but with issues of being short staffed in the past few years, it'll be easier for the NHC to help out. This also ensures that tropical products will be on par with the NHC's.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Yellow Evan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby Yellow Evan » Wed May 15, 2019 7:15 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:I don't think they have actually merged into one entity. As far as I know, just the website was merged.

This.
1 likes   

GeneratorPower
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby GeneratorPower » Wed May 15, 2019 9:57 pm

Doesn’t seem like the best execution to be honest. Now a complicated web page just became more complicated.
0 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby Kingarabian » Wed May 15, 2019 11:19 pm

GeneratorPower wrote:Doesn’t seem like the best execution to be honest. Now a complicated web page just became more complicated.

CPHC website used to be trash. All the products updated at different times, some products didnt load, everything was disorganized. I feel like the NHC website is a lot better.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

TorSkk
Category 2
Category 2

#8 Postby TorSkk » Thu May 16, 2019 1:05 am

0 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#9 Postby AJC3 » Sat May 18, 2019 11:49 pm

TorSkk wrote:Is it a part of this test?

https://www.weather.gov/media/notificat ... t_test.pdf

No. The TCV is a specific Tropical Cyclone Watch/Warning product. One has nothing to do with the other. The web page merging is a permanent change AFAIK.
2 likes   

craptacular
Category 2
Category 2

#10 Postby craptacular » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:19 am

I know it's a month later, but I suspect a lot of people who usually only come here and/or the NOAA hurricane sites when it gets busy (guilty as charged) might just now be noticing the CPAC info on the NHC site. This is the only official notice I was able to find:
https://www.weather.gov/media/notification/scn19-17pr_migration.pdf

Relevant snippets, with my choice of emphases in bold:
The NWS will eliminate the web service found at the following address effective May 30, 2019: 'https://www.prh.noaa.gov'

This web service hosts NWS Pacific Region websites, including those for the following offices: Weather Forecast Office (WFO) Honolulu, Hawaii (HFO) WFO Tiyan, Guam (GUM) Weather Service Office (WSO) Majuro WSO Pohnpei WSO Chuuk WSO Yap WSO Koror Central Pacific Hurricane Center (CPHC)

This legacy web service was launched over a decade ago to provide accessibility to NWS Pacific Region weather products for the general public. This site will be decommissioned as part of the NWS Telecommunications Gateway (NWSTG) re-architecture project. The site is obsolete because weather.gov is now the primary hub for NWS web services and data products.

While the Pacific Region field office webpages will be moving to the weather.gov web service, the CPHC content will be merged onto hurricanes.gov. Currently, the hurricanes.gov site hosts National Hurricane Center (NHC) content. The expansion of hurricanes.gov to consolidate NHC and CPHC content into a single website will make it easier for users to find tropical cyclone information from either issuing office. In particular, the website consolidation will make it easier to track tropical cyclones as they cross between the eastern and central Pacific basins.
5 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”