Florida Weather

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Tampa Bay Hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Florida Weather

#14561 Postby Tampa Bay Hurricane » Fri May 31, 2019 7:13 am

Got pounded this morning for 2 hours with a heavy rain shower that parked over eastern St. Petersburg just north of Albert whitted airport. It was lovely seeing the heavy rain.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14562 Postby NDG » Fri May 31, 2019 10:02 am

MetroMike wrote:
NDG wrote:Very weird dry spell we are in despite a weak El Nino going on, by this time last year our wet season at least here in central FL was well underway.

I don't think the weak El Nino has any effect on the weather here. Just an ongoing pattern that will eventually break sometime in June most likely.

Yes it does, we had a fairly wet winter/early Spring here in my part of central FL.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14563 Postby NDG » Fri May 31, 2019 10:03 am

Tampa Bay Hurricane wrote:Got pounded this morning for 2 hours with a heavy rain shower that parked over eastern St. Petersburg just north of Albert whitted airport. It was lovely seeing the heavy rain.

Lucky you, my grass is brown as if we just had a freeze :(
1 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#14564 Postby Patrick99 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:54 pm

Wow, either my eyes are deceiving me and this is just a mirage in the new Desertification of South Florida regime we seem to be in, or a nice little convective cell has initiated in far NW Miami-Dade.

It's not affecting anyone but some alligators and egrets, but hey, at least it's something.
1 likes   

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#14565 Postby boca » Fri May 31, 2019 3:39 pm

South Florida is becoming the desert SW everything is turning brown and because with have a southeasterly flow if we do manage to get thunderstorms they will get pushed westward away from the coast. Their is no winning here.
0 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#14566 Postby MetroMike » Fri May 31, 2019 4:25 pm

NDG wrote:
MetroMike wrote:
NDG wrote:Very weird dry spell we are in despite a weak El Nino going on, by this time last year our wet season at least here in central FL was well underway.

I don't think the weak El Nino has any effect on the weather here. Just an ongoing pattern that will eventually break sometime in June most likely.

Yes it does, we had a fairly wet winter/early Spring here in my part of central FL.

Correct that the Winter/Early spring was fairly wet, but El Nino's have the most effect in Florida those times of year.
Not so much late Spring and so forth.
0 likes   

HurricaneBelle
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14567 Postby HurricaneBelle » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:51 am

Yet while most of Florida is dry and hot, there's been a persistent moisture focus over north central Florida from Citrus to Sumter to Marion counties with recurring rainfall over the past 4-5 days. This morning there's been a line of showers/storms focused over Citrus that's trained or stayed in place giving some spots over 3 inches already today.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14568 Postby psyclone » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:52 am

It's nice to see something on radar other than smoke plumes. A few days ago we couldn't buy a cloud so we're making progress. High temps have pulled back a bit and dewpoints are up...summer rainy season can be delayed but I've yet to see it denied..
0 likes   

MetroMike
Category 3
Category 3

#14569 Postby MetroMike » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:05 pm

psyclone wrote:It's nice to see something on radar other than smoke plumes. A few days ago we couldn't buy a cloud so we're making progress. High temps have pulled back a bit and dewpoints are up...summer rainy season can be delayed but I've yet to see it denied..

There is something on the radar? I had given up looking last few weeks.
1 likes   

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14570 Postby gatorcane » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:11 am

Got a trace of rain yesterday at my locale near the coast. Today NWS has rain chances at 20%. Seems a bit low but we will see. Given the light steering, near record heat, and a decaying trough in the region, I am optimistic we will get some measurable rainfall today. The last few runs of the HRRR are actually showing some decent rainfall for my locale developing later today.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#14571 Postby TheStormExpert » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:24 am

gatorcane wrote:Got a trace of rain yesterday at my locale near the coast. Today NWS has rain chances at 20%. Seems a bit low but we will see. Given the light steering, near record heat, and a decaying trough in the region, I am optimistic we will get some measurable rainfall today. The last few runs of the HRRR are actually showing some decent rainfall for my locale developing later today.

On the other side of PBC we managed to pick around an inch and a half of rainfall yesterday afternoon(1.52)! Was nice to see a decent afternoon summertime thunderstorm drift SE into NE PBC, what better way to kick off the first meteorological day of Summer.
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14572 Postby gatorcane » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:18 pm

Yeah TheStormExpert saw those storms up that way. Hoping to get something like that here. Looks like a light west steering flow with storm development today which should steer storms back towards the east coast. Radar is starting to light up. Still thinking east coast metro areas of South Florida have a shot of good rain today, we will see.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14573 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:18 pm

Well, another scorcher in Northeast Florida today. No rain yet again today. I checked my thermometer and it peaked at 99.4 degrees. I am not sure if it reached 100 at the NWS Jax office, but it sure will be close. This is the 9th consecutive day of 95 degree plus temperatures, with 5 of these particular days being 98 degrees or better at my home station, including today. It has reached 100 here once (last Monday it reached 101 here). I have had enough of this searing heat. The only saving grace is that we have not had the oppressive humidity values for most of this heat wave period.

It has been an impressive early season heat wave for sure, and we will have one more hot day to deal with here in Jax area tomorrow with temps expected to reach into the upper 90s. Hopefully, the Upper Ridge, which has been parked over our region seemingly forever, will retreat some during the next week and bring first an east/southeast flow, and late in the week, more of a southerly flow to enhance moisture return back across the peninsula. This also will hopefully, at least for the immediate short term, put an end to these extremely hot/ at times record breaking heat. Latest forecast show lower 90s beginning Tuesday here. Hey, I will take anything to lessen the heat... We need the rain badly with the wildfire risk running extremely high here and to just break this desert-like pattern we have had over the region for more than the past two weeks now.

Latest model guidance are indeed showing the Upper Ridge axis retreating to the east and northeast, thus this will allow moisture return gradually back across the peninsula. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

___________-

EDIT: JAX NWS WFO maxed out at 98 degrees today. The record for today's date was 100 degrees, so no record today officially.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14574 Postby arekkusu » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:53 pm

A strong thunderstorm is currently in my county, but it looks to be tracking slightly south of where I am, so I'm not sure if I will get any rain.
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14575 Postby northjaxpro » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:02 pm

:uarrow: It is really a perfect case/ or example of the "isolated thunderstorms" in a forecast, and if you are extremely lucky to get underneath one of them because they are slow moving. It happened to me late last week when I had over an inch and a half drop on my locale in an isolated storm, and yet all areas north and west of me did not see a drop a rain. Hopefully, our chances of rain will get better later this week, which I discussed in my earlier post on this page.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

gatorcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14576 Postby gatorcane » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Indeed looks like we had good coverage of rain across metro SE Florida today particularly Palm Beach County and far southern Dade. That 20% from NWS did seem too low given the pattern. Looks like it ended up more like 70%. I got enough rain to get the lawn green again, just to my west in Central Boca looks like they really cashed in.
0 likes   

psyclone
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14577 Postby psyclone » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:52 pm

last year in late September I noted that never before had I observed Gulf water temps so warm so late in the year. Flash forward to today and this year I have never observed water so warm so early. the water in the surf zone is 88-90 thanks to persistent hot, sunny and rain free conditions. In both cases we have our increasingly frequent and long term visitor to thank....the southeast ridge. it looks like we should get a southeast flow to set up later this week which could yield a celebration worthy sound of thunder on the west coast. We are really crunchy here but at least someone is getting some rain now...so we're turning the corner
2 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

#14578 Postby Patrick99 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:27 am

Even given a NW steering flow, I got nothing. There was a broken line approaching in the early evening from the Everglades, but as soon as it got to about 8 miles away, it looked on radar like it was being pulled apart like a slug of taffy. It dissipated and the Miami area got absolutely nothing. Don't know why this area continues to be so dry.

Just watch, in about 3 weeks we are going to start talking about SAL intrusions as we usually do in late June and early July, that'll be the next excuse for continued dry weather.
1 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#14579 Postby northjaxpro » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:38 pm

99.3 degrees currently at the home station, and the Jax WFO is reporting 98 degrees and dew point temp of 55. This is truly desert like weather we have had for sure!. Dry heat!

This is the sixth straight day of temps reching at least 98 degrees or higher. We still have about 2 more hours of max diurnal heating. We may indeed see 100 degrees again this afternoon.
0 likes   

arekkusu
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#14580 Postby arekkusu » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Very promising POPs for tomorrow, especially for northern/inland northeast Florida.

I haven't gotten any rain in several weeks. I missed out on both the surprise isolated flooding/severe weather event from a few days back and the isolated thunderstorms from yesterday.
0 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”