ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: ENSO Updates

#10721 Postby NotSparta » Fri May 31, 2019 5:05 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Agreed.

I would say 50/50 chance of ENSO going into neutral or remaining in weak El Nino by fall. Good chance we go into neutral if this upcoming trade surge does the job. If it fails to cool the subsurface significantly and a WWB follows it, there's a good chance we remain in weak El Nino past the fall. I think at this point in time both options are on the table.

Agree, but leaning a bit towards the former. The EWB trended stronger, especially east of the dateline. Would help the upwelling KW surface & arrest the downwelling KW. Really depends what the EWB does though

[url]https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/6760db30dff2a263141991d12cc267de2006837186257237ab2dfacc4d13ee0b.gif[url]

GFS trending stronger due to increased amplification over phase 3 while the Euro and CFS flatline and go into the circle after phase 2. It'll come down to if the models push the MJO back over the Pacific or not, which we won't know until about another 2 weeks.

I've noticed the CFS has a Pacific bias, by the way. May not be very wise to lean on it
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10722 Postby Kingarabian » Fri May 31, 2019 5:08 pm

NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
Agree, but leaning a bit towards the former. The EWB trended stronger, especially east of the dateline. Would help the upwelling KW surface & arrest the downwelling KW. Really depends what the EWB does though

[url]https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/6760db30dff2a263141991d12cc267de2006837186257237ab2dfacc4d13ee0b.gif[url]

GFS trending stronger due to increased amplification over phase 3 while the Euro and CFS flatline and go into the circle after phase 2. It'll come down to if the models push the MJO back over the Pacific or not, which we won't know until about another 2 weeks.

I've noticed the CFS has a Pacific bias, by the way. May not be very wise to lean on it

If you look back at the RMM plots since late winter into spring, the CFS and Euro had similar forecasts while the GFS would always be the outlier. I thought it did a great job predicting this May WWB even though it was a bit overdone.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10723 Postby NotSparta » Fri May 31, 2019 7:29 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

If you look back at the RMM plots since late winter into spring, the CFS and Euro had similar forecasts while the GFS would always be the outlier. I thought it did a great job predicting this May WWB even though it was a bit overdone.

Except if it overdid the WWB, doesn't that kind of prove the aforementioned bias? Even if it's not as strong as usual
0 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10724 Postby Kingarabian » Fri May 31, 2019 9:24 pm

NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

Except if it overdid the WWB, doesn't that kind of prove the aforementioned bias? Even if it's not as strong as usual

Im speaking in general. The CFS has warm biases all over and I think Joe Bastardi pointed it out in one his videos. Thats why they have so many versions of it and the PDF corrected one.

But to put it in perspective, the CFS and Euro showed relaxed trades across the CPAC and EPAC while the GFS was showing above average trades in the same region. Remember the GFS also had a longer and stronger trade surge due to its false forecast of the MJO amplifying over the MC.
Last edited by Kingarabian on Fri May 31, 2019 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10725 Postby NotSparta » Fri May 31, 2019 9:36 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:If you look back at the RMM plots since late winter into spring, the CFS and Euro had similar forecasts while the GFS would always be the outlier. I thought it did a great job predicting this May WWB even though it was a bit overdone.

Im speaking in general. The CFS has warm biases all over and I think Joe Bastardi pointed it out in one his videos. Thats why they have so many versions of it and the PDF corrected one.

But to put it in perspective, the CFS and Euro showed relaxed trades across the CPAC and EPAC while the GFS was showing above average trades in the same region. Remember the GFS also had a longer and trade surge due to its false forecast of the MJO amplifying over the MC.

True. This upcoming trade burst is higher confidence though however given close range
1 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10726 Postby Kingarabian » Fri May 31, 2019 9:52 pm

NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
NotSparta wrote:

But to put it in perspective, the CFS and Euro showed relaxed trades across the CPAC and EPAC while the GFS was showing above average trades in the same region. Remember the GFS also had a longer and trade surge due to its false forecast of the MJO amplifying over the MC.

True. This upcoming trade burst is higher confidence though however given close range

Yup have westerly anomalies slowed down considerably and the winds will shift to predominately easterly in a couple of days.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#10727 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:11 pm

3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10728 Postby NotSparta » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:14 pm

Has anyone brought out Bones for an El Niño? :lol:
3 likes   

OURAGAN
Category 1
Category 1

#10729 Postby OURAGAN » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:28 pm

Very interesting
0 likes   

OURAGAN
Category 1
Category 1

#10730 Postby OURAGAN » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:34 pm

I think Dr Gray will increase his number
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#10731 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:39 pm

OURAGAN wrote:I think Dr Gray will increase his number

Well he is in a better place.His beloved partner Phil Klotzbach is doing the forecasts.
2 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars

OURAGAN
Category 1
Category 1

#10732 Postby OURAGAN » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:49 pm

Excuse me, i remember Dr Gray, i respected him, now it’s Philipp
3 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10733 Postby chaser1 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:53 pm

NotSparta wrote:Has anyone brought out Bones for an El Niño? :lol:

:roflmao: Okay, THAT'S funny!
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10734 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:15 pm

Really lol. IMO not really or anytime soon. As a result of the month long May WWB: The buoys show a very healthy amount of +1C anomalies extending down 130 meters deep that covers the entire Nino 4 and Nino 3.4 regions, and they also show a area of +2C anomalies near 120W-100W expanding -- while the current upwelling Kelvin wave portion beneath the dateline and into the EPAC is now almost completely eroded. If you look at today's RMM plots, models look to be repeating what happened in April and May by showing hints of swinging the MJO all the way around again.

So even if a new upwelling Kelvin wave was triggered as Tyler Stanfield is pointing out, I think we should be cautious to say it will be the demise of this El Nino until SST's actually respond and winds become predominately easterly.
Because:
1. Oceanic Kelvin waves typically need about 2 months to reach the EPAC when they originate in the far WPAC, so whose to say there wont be another WWB in the meantime? One more true WWB event and by default (time) this El Nino will last into the winter.
2. For a quick transition out of El Nino into cool Neutral this upwelling Kelvin wave would need cooler anomalies than the one we saw in late April AND 850mb winds need to be supportive.
5 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#10735 Postby NotSparta » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Kingarabian wrote:

Really lol. IMO not really or anytime soon. As a result of the month long May WWB: The buoys show a very healthy amount of +1C anomalies extending down 130 meters deep that covers the entire Nino 4 and Nino 3.4 regions, and they also show a area of +2C anomalies near 120W-100W expanding -- while the current upwelling Kelvin wave portion beneath the dateline and into the EPAC is now almost completely eroded. If you look at today's RMM plots, models look to be repeating what happened in April and May by showing hints of swinging the MJO all the way around again.

So even if a new upwelling Kelvin wave was triggered as Tyler Stanfield is pointing out, I think we should be cautious to say it will be the demise of this El Nino until SST's actually respond and winds become predominately easterly.
Because:
1. Oceanic Kelvin waves typically need about 2 months to reach the EPAC when they originate in the far WPAC, so whose to say there wont be another WWB in the meantime? One more true WWB event and by default (time) this El Nino will last into the winter.
2. For a quick transition out of El Nino into cool Neutral this upwelling Kelvin wave would need cooler anomalies than the one we saw in late April AND 850mb winds need to be supportive.

Well, guess we'll have to agree to disagree. But, I'll put evidence forth.

Is it though? The buoys do show that, but there is disagreement w/ the CPC, not too sure who to believe. The buoys have had problems w/ data recently, and Paul Roundy suggested using 2°S data, which helps the problem. That's normal for a WWB. I'd be putting my eggs in cool neutral if that didn't happen. Pretty classic WWB.

Also, maybe, but I remember you saying that in 2005 (while not a great analog), the MJO was swinging around. That's happening now. What's the big difference here? All I can think of is the date.

Well, while this EWB may not mean the end, it is the result of some signs that strongly suggest El Niño is weakening. The velocity potential anomalies that are producing this eliminate the rising air over the Niño regions entirely and temporarily produce a La Niña like look. This is way more extreme than when the EWB occurred in April.

It appears to be making up for the limitations of the last one. While not much stronger looking, the EWB appears much larger and longer lived. This will allow sfc waters to cool, and the downwelling KW to be stunted, and possibly a new upwelling KW to form.

If it does, it will be even stronger than the last - the subsfc is quite a bit cooler this time around.

Also, this weakening of the standing wave that has occurred has allowed Africa to dominate, which means this Niño will be struggling to be the big player. Something similar happened in 2018.

Sure, there could be another WWB, but it's been the same song and dance since March - the WWBs since then have underwhelmed. The last one only managed to get near calm winds at the dateline. This time, coupling will be weaker as the SSTs will almost surely fall during the EWB. So, the WWB will need significantly more atmospheric "oomph", which, given this spring's history, will be difficult to count on.

As for the second point, I still have doubts about cool neutral, that's a long way to go in 6 months. Warm neutral appears more likely to me. But, I'll still play devil's advocate.

The upwelling KW having cooler anomalies than the last? Not a stretch, the subsfc hasn't really warmed up a very significant amount and this EWB looks to produce more wind stress than the last. The u850 isn't all that supportive though, I agree.

But, we shall see who is correct! :)
7 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#10736 Postby cycloneye » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:14 pm

Keep this great discussion going as it helps our members learn more about all the factors in favor or against El Niño involved in the ENSO question
8 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#10737 Postby CyclonicFury » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:25 pm

If I had to take a guess on what's going to happen with this El Nino, I'd say slow decay of this event, but not a rapid transition to -ENSO like we commonly see during El Nino. This upcoming EWB looks strong and will likely persist for a little while. There has been some warming of the subsurface recently, which is to be expected of a WWB. However, this subsurface warm pool doesn't look particularly impressive, and there already appears to be a new cold pool building in the western Pacific. Unless we get another strong WWB, which likely wouldn't occur until late June, if at all, I think it's likely we dip back into warm neutral territory, at least temporarily. We nearly fell to warm neutral levels in mid-May before the WWB really had an effect.

One thing we are still seeing that is still reminiscent of El Nino is a sustained -SOI. SOI has been consistently negative for the past few months, and the 30 day average is at -8. It will be interesting to see how much the SOI rises with this EWB - wouldn't surprise me if June has a positive SOI average. ENSO models have recently been trending cooler. One possibility is that we briefly dip into warm neutral levels for the summer before seeing regrowth of El Nino in fall. Another possibility is El Nino steadily weakens and we could be looking at near-neutral ENSO by the end of the year. Will be interesting to see what happens! If the Nino does persist, I'm expecting it to be more of a west-based event.
9 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Chris90
Category 2
Category 2

#10738 Postby Chris90 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:02 pm

cycloneye wrote:Keep this great discussion going as it helps our members learn more about all the factors in favor or against El Niño involved in the ENSO question

This. I think I've learned more in the past 3-4 months from diligently reading this thread more so than anything else. Shout outs to Kingarabian and NotSparta because I've really been enjoying their analysis and back-and-forth debates/discussions.
This ENSO event has been like watching the superbowl for tropical weather enthusiasts.
7 likes   
Solar Aquarian
Lunar Cancerian
:uarrow: Sagittarian

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10739 Postby Kingarabian » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:35 pm

NotSparta wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:

Because:

Well, guess we'll have to agree to disagree. But, I'll put evidence forth.

Is it though? The buoys do show that, but there is disagreement w/ the CPC, not too sure who to believe. The buoys have had problems w/ data recently, and Paul Roundy suggested using 2°S data, which helps the problem. That's normal for a WWB. I'd be putting my eggs in cool neutral if that didn't happen. Pretty classic WWB.

Also, maybe, but I remember you saying that in 2005 (while not a great analog), the MJO was swinging around. That's happening now. What's the big difference here? All I can think of is the date.

Well, while this EWB may not mean the end, it is the result of some signs that strongly suggest El Niño is weakening. The velocity potential anomalies that are producing this eliminate the rising air over the Niño regions entirely and temporarily produce a La Niña like look. This is way more extreme than when the EWB occurred in April.

It appears to be making up for the limitations of the last one. While not much stronger looking, the EWB appears much larger and longer lived. This will allow sfc waters to cool, and the downwelling KW to be stunted, and possibly a new upwelling KW to form.

If it does, it will be even stronger than the last - the subsfc is quite a bit cooler this time around.

Also, this weakening of the standing wave that has occurred has allowed Africa to dominate, which means this Niño will be struggling to be the big player. Something similar happened in 2018.

Sure, there could be another WWB, but it's been the same song and dance since March - the WWBs since then have underwhelmed. The last one only managed to get near calm winds at the dateline. This time, coupling will be weaker as the SSTs will almost surely fall during the EWB. So, the WWB will need significantly more atmospheric "oomph", which, given this spring's history, will be difficult to count on.

As for the second point, I still have doubts about cool neutral, that's a long way to go in 6 months. Warm neutral appears more likely to me. But, I'll still play devil's advocate.

The upwelling KW having cooler anomalies than the last? Not a stretch, the subsfc hasn't really warmed up a very significant amount and this EWB looks to produce more wind stress than the last. The u850 isn't all that supportive though, I agree.

But, we shall see who is correct! :)

Yeah there is a large difference between the buoys and the CPC graphics but only in regards to the +2C swath setting up below Nino 3. The PENTAD graphics will update soon though I wonder if they will be in better agreement then.

We would be following 2005 very nicely if the MJO amplified over the IO and then spent its time in June dead in the circle. But the key difference now is we're seeing progression towards phases 4/5/6 and eventually the Pacific. Also looking at the subsurface, 2005 is no longer an analog. 2017 still remains a decent analog at the subsurface but in regards to 850mb winds, its way off, and similar to 2005, it has the MJO in the circle for the month of June.

There is quite a bit of sinking motion moving across the Pacific and there is more rising air near the MC but the bulk of these -VP200 anomalies sit over the IO. The only time I'm going to consider that the atmosphere is switching out of El Nino and into neutral is if sinking air situates over the dateline, or rising air situates over the MC for 45-60 days. Remember for it to be considered a standing wave, the branch should be visible for about 60-90 days uninterrupted.

I don't disagree in regards to the rising motion over Africa vs El Nino. Big reason why I expect similar numbers to last year for the Atlantic hurricane season.

This is where I completely disagree lol. I believe this WWB was pretty significant in that it bought the El Nino much more time compared to La Nada's in 2005 and 2017 that did not have WWB's in May. Based on the buoys, It replaced -2C anomalies with +2C anomalies beneath Nino 3 and expanded +1C anomalies beneath Nino 4 and Nino 3.4 down to 130 meters. So yeah this does appear to be a continuation of the pattern we've seen since spring. I think we'll see noticeable cooling of the subsurface followed by re-warming and thus the product is a weak El Nino or warm neutral.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#10740 Postby Ntxw » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:42 pm

Regardless of what happens 2 or 3 months down the road (statistically the earliest we could be out of the Nino, should it fall) tomorrow's weekly reading will hover +0.7 to 0.8C. The last weekly reading all areas were above +0.5C. So as of today, the first week of June, there is still an El Nino.

It had a brief stint early May that got down to 0.5C and created a flurry of action that it was going to be the demise, but since then a lot of discussion however has recovered.
7 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”