ATL: BARRY - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: BARRY - Models

#861 Postby Blinhart » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:16 am

TheProfessor wrote:Unless the UkMet is doing something with the center and that western convection then at this point it's really trying to make a statement.

It could be expecting it to stack further South than it is right now, which would cause it to go further West, I don't think Texas is in the window now (but things change). I can still see it making it to as far west as Cameron but probably closer to Pecan Island (which is about half way between Grand Chenier and Intercoastal City).
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#862 Postby NDG » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:16 am

Siker wrote:Come on UKMET.

https://i.imgur.com/FiBdJFS.png

Complete trash.
1 likes   

StormLogic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#863 Postby StormLogic » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:18 am

As usual, in 2017 the official NHC track forecasts for Atlantic storms were better than those of any individual computer model at all forecast time periods, although the European Center (ECMWF) model was very close in accuracy to the official forecast. The UKMET model made a big jump in accuracy compared to its performance in 2014 - 2016, and was the second-best model in 2017. NOAA’s GFS model, which had been very close to the European model in accuracy from 2014 – 2016, fell into the third tier, with an accuracy similar to that of the HWRF and CMC (Canadian) models. The simple BAMM model did quite well, outperforming two sophisticated dynamical models, the HMON and COAMPS-TC, at many forecast times.

per Dr. Jeff Masters · May 18, 2018
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#864 Postby stormlover2013 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:21 am

It’s not going to happen but how crazy would it be if ukmet was right, I rem few years back all modes had one storm going one way and gfs kept saying the other way and was right.
1 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#865 Postby NDG » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:24 am

StormLogic wrote:UKMET known for being fairly accurate. Whats it sniffing out that the others are not?

All it has been sniffing is some flaca, it has been way too fast with forward speed. Way too strong with ridging too it’s north.
2 likes   

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#866 Postby sphelps8681 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:25 am

Anything is possible. Look at harvey made landfall then skirted the coast and stalling bringing massive flood from Houston to Beaumont. My area had close to 54in left my town like an island with no way in or out except by boat. So it can happen. Maybe UKMET is hinting at a reverse of harvey.
0 likes   

StormLogic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#867 Postby StormLogic » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:26 am

NDG wrote:
StormLogic wrote:UKMET known for being fairly accurate. Whats it sniffing out that the others are not?

All it has been sniffing is some flaca, it has been way too fast with forward speed. Way too strong with ridging too it’s north.

For being 2nd most accurate in 2017 season doesn't tell me otherwise. Like I've said for few days now, lets not be concrete on forecasts just yet. Vortex can shift more south and if that happens...
2 likes   

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#868 Postby SoupBone » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:27 am

If the GFS, Euro and others are right, the UKMET has apparently been sniffing glue rather than sniffing out systems paths.
3 likes   

StormLogic
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#869 Postby StormLogic » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:29 am

SoupBone wrote:

If the GFS, Euro and others are right, the UKMET has apparently been sniffing glue rather than sniffing out systems paths.

The path is going to change, I'm almost positive at this point. But hey, lets not argue with GFS & EURO :lol:
1 likes   

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#870 Postby sphelps8681 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:31 am

StormLogic wrote:
SoupBone wrote:

The path is going to change, I'm almost positive at this point. But hey, lets not argue with GFS & EURO :lol:

Where is the Rock when you need him. He makes conversations so lively.
0 likes   

LarryWx
Category 5
Category 5

#871 Postby LarryWx » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:36 am

I've found the UKMET over the last few years to have a tendency of being to far left due to assuming too strong ridging to the north of storms.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#872 Postby stormlover2013 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:39 am

LarryWx wrote:I've found the UKMET over the last few years to have a tendency of being to far left due to assuming too strong ridging to the north of storms.

But dang it’s 2 days out and has had the same run for 4 straight runs lol crazy
1 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#873 Postby BigB0882 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:40 am

HurricaneBrain wrote:GFS actually shifted considerably west..

Can someone post an image of the GFS? I saw where landfall was but would like to see the next frame to see where it goes once inland. Curious what side BTR is on with this run. Have been crossing my fingers to sneak on the west side with some of these eastward shifts.
0 likes   

SEASON_CANCELED
Category 3
Category 3

#874 Postby SEASON_CANCELED » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:41 am

UK met was great with Harvey and Irma, especially with Irma as it sniffed out the track within a few miles days ahead of the others

but I have not seen it perform at all since 2017
1 likes   
i am a big stupid ugly moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt stinks and i like to kiss my own butt

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#875 Postby cycloneye » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:44 am

BigB0882 wrote:

Can someone post an image of the GFS? I saw where landfall was but would like to see the next frame to see where it goes once inland. Curious what side BTR is on with this run. Have been crossing my fingers to sneak on the west side with some of these eastward shifts.

Images of the models are posted on the Barry models thread.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

sphelps8681
Category 2
Category 2

#876 Postby sphelps8681 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:44 am

[quote="SEASON_CANCELED"]UK met was great with Harvey and Irma, especially with Irma as it sniffed out the track within a few miles days ahead of the others

I agree. When harvey hit land it skirted the coast and dumped tremendous amounts of rain. Could be the reverse of Harvey. Skirts the coast then makes landfall.
0 likes   

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#877 Postby BigB0882 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am

cycloneye wrote:
BigB0882 wrote:

Images of the models are posted on the Barry models thread.

This is the models thread. :?:

Unless images aren’t showing up because I’m on my phone which does occasionally happen.
1 likes   

Nederlander
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#878 Postby Nederlander » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am

I used to rank the UKMET right along with the old GFS, both just a notch below the euro. But this looks like it will end up being a very poor performance for that model.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#879 Postby NDG » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am

StormLogic wrote:
NDG wrote:

For being 2nd most accurate in 2017 season doesn't tell me otherwise. Like I've said for few days now, lets not be concrete on forecasts just yet. Vortex can shift more south and if that happens...

Just because it might have been the second best model two years ago does not mean crap. All I know is that so far up to today it has not verified very well with Barry.
0 likes   

Wx_Warrior
Category 5
Category 5

#880 Postby Wx_Warrior » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am

BigB0882 wrote:

No it didnt shift west...

2 likes   

Return to “2019”