ENSO Updates (2007 thru 2023)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ENSO Updates

#11021 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:42 am

Lack of Sea level heights over the WPAC shows that there are currently no new signs of a downwelling Kelvin wave or any warm anomalies propagating west to east:
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11022 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:34 pm

Despite its La Nina calls and it showing a long lasting period of above average trades over the EPAC, the CFS continues to show an atmospheric El Nino standing wave persisting over the dateline:
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#11023 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:48 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Despite its La Nina calls and it showing a long lasting period of above average trades over the EPAC, the CFS continues to show an atmospheric El Nino standing wave persisting over the dateline:
https://i.imgur.com/LibGEUr.png

This is why it's not always wise to simply ignore the SOI just because it doesn't fit the reasoning, it's trying to tell you something. In particular the long version of it. There are numerous metrics, but to isolate one metric over the all of them as a whole trying to signal something is not the best way to go about it. Take a look at the recent CCKW crossing the CPAC/EPAC. It has origins of rossby wave action in the mid-latitues near and about Australia. Completely missing the Maritime Continent (WPAC got nothing out of this) but expanded, exploded over the IDL and will weaken once it hits the Atlantic/Africa. What the divergent data from the CFSv2 is telling us, is that more action like this will continue emanating from the SOI domain, and that the mid-latitudes are not simply reacting but can also play a role.

5 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!
Help Support Storm2K

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#11024 Postby NotSparta » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:57 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Despite its La Nina calls and it showing a long lasting period of above average trades over the EPAC, the CFS continues to show an atmospheric El Nino standing wave persisting over the dateline:

I wonder if this is seperate from the kind predicting a La Niña. It can't be disagreeing w/ itself this much
1 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11025 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:25 pm

Ntxw wrote:

This is why it's not always wise to simply ignore the SOI just because it doesn't fit the reasoning, it's trying to tell you something. In particular the long version of it. There are numerous metrics, but to isolate one metric over the all of them as a whole trying to signal something is not the best way to go about it. Take a look at the recent CCKW crossing the CPAC/EPAC. It has origins of rossby wave action in the mid-latitues near and about Australia. Completely missing the Maritime Continent (WPAC got nothing out of this) but expanded, exploded over the IDL and will weaken once it hits the Atlantic/Africa. What the divergent data from the CFSv2 is telling us, is that more action like this will continue emanating from the SOI domain, and that the mid-latitudes are not simply reacting but can also play a role.

[url]https://i.imgur.com/ofTX4qe.gif[url]

[url]https://i.imgur.com/NOToxVJ.gif[url]

Yeah certainly. Great way to put it. The MC and Australia have been a driving force. Yesterday's 00z Euro run shows no signs of this activity slowing down and continues a negative leaning SOI. It's showing Tahiti's pressure rising to near 1015mb for the last 7 days of July, and also pushes Darwin's MSLP to near 1015mb.
1 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11026 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:26 pm

NotSparta wrote:

I wonder if this is seperate from the kind predicting a La Niña. It can't be disagreeing w/ itself this much

Something is off. It's like it's not coupled properly.
4 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

Ntxw
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#11027 Postby Ntxw » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:38 pm

Despite all of the above come Monday's official weekly reading will lower again. Would not be surprised if it came in anywhere from 0C to 0.2C
4 likes   
The above post and any post by Ntxw is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including Storm2k. For official information, please refer to NWS products.

Help support Storm2K!

Help Support Storm2K

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#11028 Postby StruThiO » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:22 pm

1 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#11029 Postby CyclonicFury » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:37 pm

:uarrow: The SOI may be negative but that is NOT the look of an El Niño. We may stay below +0.5°C in Niño 3.4 for a while.
3 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11030 Postby Kingarabian » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:51 pm

CyclonicFury wrote::uarrow: The SOI may be negative but that is NOT the look of an El Niño. We may stay below +0.5°C in Niño 3.4 for a while.

Ocean at best resembles Modoki El Nino and even those warm anomalies are not near Nino 3.4.

So ocean is neutral and atmosphere is El Nino is what I'm currently gathering. Very funny. This is once in a long while scenario.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11031 Postby WeatherEmperor » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:56 am

Today’s update shows 3.4 down to 0.2C and 1+2 is at -0.3C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11032 Postby NDG » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:09 am

WeatherEmperor wrote:Today’s update shows 3.4 down to 0.2C and 1+2 is at -0.3C

Yep, and Nino 3 also down to 0.0C, dead neutral.
Nino 4 is the only one remaining warm, staying at +0.9C
1 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11033 Postby WeatherEmperor » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:56 am

NDG wrote:

I read a few posts that while the ocean has cooles a bit, the atmosphere still shows some el nino behavior. So lets say the ocean continues to cool into the cool neutral range. What are the chances we have a slightly cool neutral ocean with a slightly el nino like atmosphere?

0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11034 Postby NDG » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:00 am

WeatherEmperor wrote:
NDG wrote:

I read a few posts that while the ocean has cooles a bit, the atmosphere still shows some el nino behavior. So lets say the ocean continues to cool into the cool neutral range. What are the chances we have a slightly cool neutral ocean with a slightly el nino like atmosphere?

I doubt that will happen, either it stays warm neutral or the atmosphere eventually reacts to the cooling of ENSO. IMO.
1 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#11035 Postby cycloneye » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:45 am

1 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#11036 Postby cycloneye » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:27 am

0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11037 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:25 am

What does El Nino Modoki type II mean? (I didn't even know there were two types.)
0 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#11038 Postby StruThiO » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:51 am

0 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#11039 Postby SFLcane » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:22 am

2 likes   

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#11040 Postby CyclonicFury » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:30 am

If I remember correctly, the ECMWF did well with ENSO in 2015, 2016 and 2018, but was way too warm in Niño 3.4 in 2017 and 2019. 2017 was an especially bad forecast bust for the model.
1 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”