ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Models

#101 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:59 pm

12z UKMET actually does show some development, way more than the ECMWF in any case. Weak TS.

0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: ATL: INVEST 94L - Discussion

#102 Postby RL3AO » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:07 pm

bqknight wrote:
RL3AO wrote:
bqknight wrote:
Thanks! I wonder if this is the COTC or CTCX version...

Only goes out to 120 hours - but looks to be getting its act together as it gets closer to 50W.

I'm honestly not sure. I've never really looked at COAMPS because it was bad. But it looks like one of those models that rapidly changes and upgrades compared to the more public operational models. It did so well with Dorian that I'll probably watch it more closely going forward.

I remember the same - that's why I was wondering if for some reason those numbers may be off. Interesting...

It wasn't an error. It did very well.

0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#103 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:30 pm

RL3AO wrote:
bqknight wrote:
RL3AO wrote:
I'm honestly not sure. I've never really looked at COAMPS because it was bad. But it looks like one of those models that rapidly changes and upgrades compared to the more public operational models. It did so well with Dorian that I'll probably watch it more closely going forward.

I remember the same - that's why I was wondering if for some reason those numbers may be off. Interesting...

https://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/coamps_docs/codta/tc_vrf/2019/mids/al052019.CTCX_vrf.trks.png

That's actually kind of incredible. Any chance there's a way to view this model when it's being run during an active storm?
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#104 Postby sma10 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Kingarabian wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
sma10 wrote:
Ukmet does develop. Euro is the only major model that does not

Looked very weak from what I saw, maybe I was looking at an outdated run...

Yeah its very weak on the UKMET @ 1010mb. Maybe on the 00z run it'll develop it more.

It's really not that far out of alignment with the other models.
The models basic story seems to be, sit back a while, as we will not see any development at all for the next several days. 50W is when the action may begin
2 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#105 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:33 pm

sma10 wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
Looked very weak from what I saw, maybe I was looking at an outdated run...

Yeah its very weak on the UKMET @ 1010mb. Maybe on the 00z run it'll develop it more.

It's really not that far out of alignment with the other models.
The models basic story seems to be, sit back a while, as we will not see any development at all for the next several days. 50W is when the action may begin

Yeah I agree. UKMET is almost as strong as the CMC @ 144 hours. Also interesting that the GFS-Legacy doesn't develop it.
0 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#106 Postby SFLcane » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:19 pm

GFS correcting towards the Euro.
0 likes   

AxaltaRacing24
Category 5
Category 5

#107 Postby AxaltaRacing24 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:24 pm

SFLcane wrote:GFS correcting towards the Euro.

Hard to say "correcting." There is still a very good chance that this develops in the next 7 days despite what the models say.
3 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#108 Postby Kingarabian » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Honestly we just need to wait 5-6 days until it reaches the islands. We won't know until then despite what the models show or not showing.
3 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#109 Postby CyclonicFury » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:29 pm

AxaltaRacing24 wrote:

Hard to say "correcting." There is still a very good chance that this develops in the next 7 days despite what the models say.

Agreed. It's way too early to just say it's "correcting" to the ECMWF when the NHC still gives this a high chance of development. We'll see how things look in a few days.
5 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#110 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:32 pm

Really hard for me to see the Euro being correct here, having struggled multiple times in the past with this setup (small storm, high pressure environment), but I guess we'll see. Doesn't show any significant development in the Atlantic for nearly two weeks. I really doubt that, even in 2013 we saw some development.

EDIT: GFS develops the wave immediately behind 94L though, which might be why 94L struggles on this run.
5 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#111 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:47 pm

GFS and Euro both like the wave behind 94L now. 94L still could develop but it might not amount to much.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#112 Postby AutoPenalti » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:50 pm

I don’t think GFS losing the system for one run signifies correction towards the Euro...
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#113 Postby sma10 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:12 pm

Really too early to make a judgment like that. I think the models are depicting a complicated scenario around 50-55W, possibly with two competing systems
6 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#114 Postby Hammy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:27 pm

sma10 wrote:

Really too early to make a judgment like that. I think the models are depicting a complicated scenario around 50-55W, possibly with two competing systems

That would certainly make sense, especially given the GEM's looping around. The question at the moment is likely which wave between 94L and the one behind it will actually develop--the models that are showing no development are likely having trouble resolving the situation.
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

sma10
Category 5
Category 5

#115 Postby sma10 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:04 pm

Hammy wrote:
sma10 wrote:

That would certainly make sense, especially given the GEM's looping around. The question at the moment is likely which wave between 94L and the one behind it will actually develop--the models that are showing no development are likely having trouble resolving the situation.

Agreed. Even the Euro, which is really the only model showing zilch, has a strong signature in the ensembles of development in the longer range
3 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#116 Postby 1900hurricane » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:11 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
RL3AO wrote:
bqknight wrote:

https://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/coamps_docs/codta/tc_vrf/2019/mids/al052019.CTCX_vrf.trks.png

That's actually kind of incredible. Any chance there's a way to view this model when it's being run during an active storm?

RAL plots it on its page.

RAL Tropical Cyclone Guidance Project
3 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

lando
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#117 Postby lando » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:05 am

00z GFS develops wave behind it, sends it to SE bahamas and OTS
00z CMC much further south, develops humberto into a caribbean rider cruising through the lesser antilles...could be a problem down the line
00z Icon develops one behind it

zero on euro
0 likes   

hurricaneCW
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby hurricaneCW » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:26 am

Good chance this one's a low rider, Caribbean perhaps, I expect models to show more development down the road.

The next wave after this does get developed by the GFS/Euro and it'll likely have a further north track though could still get pretty close to the US given broad eastern to Atlantic ridging in place.

Both will be threats starting late next week.
1 likes   

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#119 Postby Hurricaneman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:57 am

lando wrote:00z GFS develops wave behind it, sends it to SE bahamas and OTS
00z CMC much further south, develops humberto into a caribbean rider cruising through the lesser antilles...could be a problem down the line

zero on euro

Euro is also the wave behind
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:26 am

lando wrote:00z GFS develops wave behind it, sends it to SE bahamas and OTS

zero on euro

00z ECMWF actually does develop it into a tropical storm... in the Gulf of Mexico.
0 likes   

Return to “2019”