Low Pressure East of Florida - Is INVEST 92L

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Low Pressure East of Florida - Is INVEST 92L

#1 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:52 pm

Surface circ has formed just offshore west palm or just along the coast. Winds have switched to west all across SE Florida. As I mentioned a couple of days ago this should likely be a quick spin up as it heads to the NNE. Shear enhanced of course.

2 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Steve H.
Category 5
Category 5

Re:Low Pressure near SE Florida

#2 Postby Steve H. » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 pm

Yeah, I'm surprised no posted on this. Nice little spin up. East winds near Melbourne here. Lots of heavy rain and thunder.
0 likes   

Stormi
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: Low Pressure near SE Florida

#3 Postby Stormi » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:36 am

It's been raining non-stop where we live all day as well! I'll take it. It was definitely needed out here.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Low Pressure near SE Florida

#4 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:48 am

Radar and surface obs showing it has likely developed into a td.

Will probably go un classified
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Low Pressure East of Florida

#5 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:42 am

Almost certainly a td. Likely a ts given the increasing forward motion. Big ball of shear enhanced convection. Circ is right on the edge.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#6 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:58 am

It already looks more impressive than 3-4 of the named storms this season. I'd say that there is a 100% chance of a storm system with 45-60 mph winds off the East U.S. Coast between now and Friday evening. Winds 30-45 mph from NJ through eastern Long Island Thu/Fri. Not much chance of it becoming a hurricane. Tides 2-3 ft above normal from Norfolk to Long Island. Beach erosion and TS winds along the East Coast. NHC has apparently decided that they have no intention of classifying the storm as subtropical and naming it. Doesn't matter as far as its impacts whether it gets a name or not.

In the image below, I put my cursor (red crosshairs) at the low center. In the past hour, the convection is being driven a little farther northeast of the center. A cold front like just to its west. Shear is strong, but that won't prevent the storm from forming.

1 likes   

WeatherEmperor
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby WeatherEmperor » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:02 am

wxman57 wrote:It already looks more impressive than 3-4 of the named storms this season. I'd say that there is a 100% chance of a storm system with 45-60 mph winds off the East U.S. Coast between now and Friday evening. Winds 30-45 mph from NJ through eastern Long Island Thu/Fri. Not much chance of it becoming a hurricane. Tides 2-3 ft above normal from Norfolk to Long Island. Beach erosion and TS winds along the East Coast. NHC has apparently decided that they have no intention of classifying the storm as subtropical and naming it. Doesn't matter as far as its impacts whether it gets a name or not.

[im.com/images/Dist.JPG[/img]

Any chance the NHC will classify it in post season analysis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:16 am

That has a satellite presentation of a TD or possibly a T.S. imo. I am sure Recon could verify this if it was in there. It looks good this morning. Shear enhanced system for sure. Typical of these type of systems to spin up fast as they
move through the Gulf Stream and head northeast off the Eastern U.S. Seaboard.

I am extremely thankful for this disturbance as it brought upwards to 5" of rainfall to areas of Northeast Florida as the vorticity tracked directly across this area yesterday and early last evening.
Last edited by northjaxpro on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#9 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:22 am

northjaxpro wrote:That has a satellite presentation of a TD or possibly a T.S. imo. I am sure Recon could verify this if it was in there. It looks good this morning.

I am extremely thankful for this disturbance as it brought upwards to 5" of rainfall to areas of Northeast Florida as the vorticity tracked directly across this area yesterday and early last evening.

It may have peaked a few hours ago, right after sunrise, as a potential TD/TS. Satellite loop indicates that the convection is now outrunning the LLC, and the cold front is very near to the west. Like I said, more of a TS then several of the named storms this year. ;-)

A question was asked whether the NHC might classify it post-season. Sure, that's possible, but there would have to be some evidence other than "it looks good on satellite" to justify a post-season upgrade. The scatterometer satellite (ScatSat) might just clip the low in its next pass (12Z pass). This pass should appear on the ScatSat website shortly (http://projects.knmi.nl/scatterometer/scasa_25_prod/scasa_app.cgi). If there is no scatterometer or ship data to support an upgrade, then it has no chance of being upgraded post-season.
2 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:31 am

wxman57 wrote:
northjaxpro wrote:That has a satellite presentation of a TD or possibly a T.S. imo. I am sure Recon could verify this if it was in there. It looks good this morning.

It may have peaked a few hours ago, right after sunrise, as a potential TD/TS. Satellite loop indicates that the convection is now outrunning the LLC, and the cold front is very near to the west. Like I said, more of a TS then several of the named storms this year. ;-)

A question was asked whether the NHC might classify it post-season. Sure, that's possible, but there would have to be some evidence other than "it looks good on satellite" to justify a post-season upgrade. The scatterometer satellite (ScatSat) might just clip the low in its next pass (12Z pass). This pass should appear on the ScatSat website shortly (http://projects.knmi.nl/scatterometer/scasa_25_prod/scasa_app.cgi). If there is no scatterometer or ship data to support an upgrade, then it has no chance of being upgraded post-season.

Yeah, you are probably right 57. It was and still is a fast moving , rapidly developing Low Pressure area. But, I am of the thinking that this system will be a prime candidate to be upgraded at least to a TD post-season.
0 likes   
NEVER, EVER SAY NEVER in the tropics and weather in general, and most importantly, with life itself!!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Fay 2008 Beryl 2012 Debby 2012 Colin 2016 Hermine 2016 Julia 2016 Matthew 2016 Irma 2017 Dorian 2019

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#11 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:43 am

Oh well, the 1254Z ScatSat pass just missed the system to the east. Meanwhile, convection is being driven farther northeast away from the exposed low center.

0 likes   

northjaxpro
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby northjaxpro » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:47 am

:uarrow: Yep :uarrow: Exposed COC
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:58 am

Full 1km hi res zoom. The center is not exposed. The west part is partially exposed. But the center itself is not. You can see the curved low level flow out and into convection. Placing center right where those over shooting tops are on the edge.

Clear as day.

Drawing on my phone is tough.. but you get the idea lol

0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#14 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:04 am

Aric Dunn wrote:Full 1km hi res zoom. The center is not exposed. The west part is partially exposed. But the center itself is not. You can see the curved low level flow out and into convection. Placing center right where those over shooting tops are on the edge.

Clear as day.

https://i.ibb.co/XxxqFLZ/Screenshot-20191008-120004-Firefox.jpg

Can't see anything on that giant blurry phone image. I'm looking at a high-res loop on my workstation and see an exposed, broad center SW of the convection. It appears to be dissipating:

2 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:09 am

wxman57 wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:Full 1km hi res zoom. The center is not exposed. The west part is partially exposed. But the center itself is not. You can see the curved low level flow out and into convection. Placing center right where those over shooting tops are on the edge.

Clear as day.

Can't see anything on that giant blurry phone image. I'm looking at a high-res loop on my workstation and see an exposed, broad center SW of the convection. It appears to be dissipating:

http://wxman57.com/images/Dist3.JPG

Well i am at work on a large hi res screen.. i just cant use work computer to log into storm2k lol. I have been tracking low level cloud motion. Individual CU.

When the sun angle moves more we will see a better shot of it.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:12 am

wxman57 wrote:

Clear as day.

http://wxman57.com/images/Dist3.JPG

Check your loop now new images. the area you circled is nothing but curved inflow.
0 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#17 Postby wxman57 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:15 am

Nope, exposed and weakening LLC. It peaked around 8AM EDT.
1 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:18 am

A little better lol

0 likes   

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby EquusStorm » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:29 am

Certainly didn't expect such an impressive spin-up. NHC's classification of brief storms is extremely arbitrary, not a knock on their forecasting at all but could easily swap this with a dozen storms the last few years which looked less like a TC/STC than this
1 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Aric Dunn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:35 am

Now the center is very easily visible as the western half is exposed not that far away from convection. Good well defined circ though. Convection probably going to build over center again.. as is the case with sheared TCs

Easily a td. And ascat looks like itnhas some ts winds.

Waiting for the descending scat b pass.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”