Texas Spring 2020

U.S. & Caribbean Weather Discussions and Severe Weather Events

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Texas Spring 2020

#101 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:01 pm

I think in April we could have some cold rains on deck. I'll take it. With us sliding into La nina, we will need ALL the rain that we can get. Our guy Ntx taught us that green grass in summer is better for us in the summer. Provides extra humidity, which can lead to summer storms.
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CaptinCrunch
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#102 Postby CaptinCrunch » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:16 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:I think in April we could have some cold rains on deck. I'll take it. With us sliding into La nina, we will need ALL the rain that we can get. Our guy Ntx taught us that green grass in summer is better for us in the summer. Provides extra humidity, which can lead to summer storms.

I haven't seen any indication on us moving towards La Nina, the current ENSO forecast has pretty much been a broken record since early December.....Neutral till otherwise noted :wink:

23 March 2020
ENSO-neutral conditions are present.*
Equatorial sea surface temperatures (SSTs) are near-to-above average across the Pacific Ocean.
The tropical atmospheric circulation is generally consistent with ENSO-neutral.
ENSO-neutral is favored for the Northern Hemisphere spring 2020 (~65% chance), continuing through summer 2020 (~55% chance).*

A majority of models favor ENSOneutral through the Northern Hemisphere summer and fall 2020. Only model that gives a chance on La Nina headed into late summer is the SST Outlook, and it would be a weak La Nina at that.
2 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#103 Postby bubba hotep » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:I think in April we could have some cold rains on deck. I'll take it. With us sliding into La nina, we will need ALL the rain that we can get. Our guy Ntx taught us that green grass in summer is better for us in the summer. Provides extra humidity, which can lead to summer storms.

Don't put much stock in ENSO models this time of year, Spring Forecast Barrier. Ultimately, I believe this wetter pattern across portions of Texas is a result of overall warming across the Pacific and ENSO probably plays a lesser role than in the past.
2 likes   
Winter time post are almost exclusively focused on the DFW area.

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#104 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:50 pm

Interesting. Numerous models i've seen have shown us trending towards a La Nina. Either way. This time of year, i'm always scared of the approaching summer :cry:

Just looked at the Euro. Beautiful block in the arctic that would make January blush. Hopefully it will at least cool things down for us.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ThunderSleetDreams
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#105 Postby ThunderSleetDreams » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:42 pm

TeamPlayersBlue wrote:Interesting. Numerous models i've seen have shown us trending towards a La Nina. Either way. This time of year, i'm always scared of the approaching summer :cry:

Just looked at the Euro. Beautiful block in the arctic that would make January blush. Hopefully it will at least cool things down for us.

Please!
0 likes   
#NeverSummer

I hibernate when it gets above 75 degrees!

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#106 Postby Brent » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:07 pm

well Dallas didn't get close to 90 today like I saw forecast

Small victories :lol:

my car is covered in tree crap though :roll:
2 likes   
#neversummer

gpsnowman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#107 Postby gpsnowman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:20 pm

Brent wrote:well Dallas didn't get close to 90 today like I saw forecast

Small victories :lol:

my car is covered in tree crap though :roll:

Not sure what the official high was but the highest I saw on my phone today was 83. By early evening a cooler north breeze took me by surprise dropping temps to tbe upper 70's.
Last weekend in east Texas I saw the most pollen I have ever seen. The fine yellowish powder was everywhere. The strange thing was it had been raining yet with so many trees and bushes the pollen did not stop. My allergies were absolute hell.
0 likes   

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#108 Postby aggiecutter » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:01 am

Ryan Maue
@RyanMaue
There are now forecasts when the Canadian model beats the Euro at 5-days. Environment Canada's global weather model has moved well ahead of the NOAA GFS -- amazing.
1 likes   

EnnisTx
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#109 Postby EnnisTx » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:15 am

Strong winds and lots of marble size hail in Arlington with down pouring rain.
3 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#110 Postby bubba hotep » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:45 am

EnnisTx wrote:Strong winds and lots of marble size hail in Arlington with down pouring rain.

Pretty good 30% chance of storms event out this way in Collin County as well!
1 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#111 Postby TheProfessor » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:40 am

I haven't been very active here, the last few weeks have been pretty weird for me. Today is the 20 year anniversary of the storm that started it all for me. Usually I'd do some detailed write up, but it didn't happen this year. Anyways there's a moderate threat for tornadoes up in the Midwest and Northern Plains. Today could be another day where a kid takes up an interest in Meteorology.
0 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Brent
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#112 Postby Brent » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:17 am

bubba hotep wrote:
EnnisTx wrote:Strong winds and lots of marble size hail in Arlington with down pouring rain.

Pretty good 30% chance of storms event out this way in Collin County as well!

Ha that's what I was thinking
0 likes   
#neversummer

South Texas Storms
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#113 Postby South Texas Storms » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:18 pm

TheProfessor wrote:I haven't been very active here, the last few weeks have been pretty weird for me. Today is the 20 year anniversary of the storm that started it all for me. Usually I'd do some detailed write up, but it didn't happen this year. Anyways there's a moderate threat for tornadoes up in the Midwest and Northern Plains. Today could be another day where a kid takes up an interest in Meteorology.

Hope you're doing ok. And yes, a severe weather outbreak looks likely in the Midwest today. Chicago could be near ground zero.
1 likes   

aggiecutter
Category 5
Category 5

#114 Postby aggiecutter » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:53 pm

Jonesboro, Arkansas Tornado video. There are other good videos on Youtube. Some at very close range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm_AK8vgv6o
2 likes   

TeamPlayersBlue
Category 5
Category 5

#115 Postby TeamPlayersBlue » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:04 am

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/status/1 ... 6269223936

These are the types of tweets i continue to come across.
1 likes   

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#116 Postby TheProfessor » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:32 am

Just going to look into the future for a bit, but with that we can watch how that future starts to shape up throughout the spring. The things to watch right now is if a drought develops over Florida, the northern Gulf coast continues to stay dry, southeast Texas continues to stay dry, and the Northeast Tx coast/Northwest Gulf get near normal to above normal rain fall. If nothing changes over the next two months then I think you'll see a powerful Bermuda high this Summer with steering that would typically send a storm towards the upper Texas coast or western La. Of course steering currents are never static and they may not be in place when a storm actually develops, but right now I think that could be the predominate pattern. Obviously that's way in the future, but I do think that's something we all need to think about come hurricane season. I know the virus is taking up all the talk right now, but come June 1st everyone on the coast needs to make sure they're ready, but I think people between NOLA and Houston should especially be ready.
4 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

Cerlin
Category 5
Category 5

#117 Postby Cerlin » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:53 am

Upcoming pattern looks very wet for DFW, as if we need more rain. Wish that could go to STX where I know they’re needing it (though GFS seems like it could be trending wetter)
3 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student at the University of Oklahoma and Operator at the Oklahoma Mesonet.
All opinions independent of employers and the university.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#118 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:17 am

Cerlin wrote:Upcoming pattern looks very wet for DFW, as if we need more rain. Wish that could go to STX where I know they’re needing it (though GFS seems like it could be trending wetter)

CPC forecast looks good for STX.
2 likes   

bubba hotep
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#119 Postby bubba hotep » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:48 am

Portions of Texas upgraded to "Slight" for mainly wind and hail

1 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#120 Postby Cpv17 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:09 pm

TheProfessor wrote:Just going to look into the future for a bit, but with that we can watch how that future starts to shape up throughout the spring. The things to watch right now is if a drought develops over Florida, the northern Gulf coast continues to stay dry, southeast Texas continues to stay dry, and the Northeast Tx coast/Northwest Gulf get near normal to above normal rain fall. If nothing changes over the next two months then I think you'll see a powerful Bermuda high this Summer with steering that would typically send a storm towards the upper Texas coast or western La. Of course steering currents are never static and they may not be in place when a storm actually develops, but right now I think that could be the predominate pattern. Obviously that's way in the future, but I do think that's something we all need to think about come hurricane season. I know the virus is taking up all the talk right now, but come June 1st everyone on the coast needs to make sure they're ready, but I think people between NOLA and Houston should especially be ready.

Why’s all the rain staying north of the coastal areas along the Gulf coast? We’ve had a difficult time getting widespread heavy rains the past few months in SETX. Are other areas having the same problem?
1 likes   

Return to “USA & Caribbean Weather”