Disturbance near Florida: (INVEST 91L is up)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Disturbance in the NW Caribbean Sea

#41 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 24, 2020 10:38 am

chaser1 wrote:
Aric Dunn wrote:I would wager we get a special TWO at 2pm today with 20% chance.

You know, that's not at all unreasonable. While I think that the upper level conditions are a bit strong, tomm. (Memorial Day) the 200mb winds do become markedly more divergent right at a point at around Sarasota. I think that "if" timing permitted, some low level convergence might try to coalesce where vertical wind shear might be less a factor. This could be one of those scenarios where we see a weak low develop off or on the coast but actually deepen a little while traversing Florida. My guess is that we see a developing T.D. come in around Sarasota and exit around Titusville. Minus other model support, i'm kind of leaning against the UK and don't think this will ever get tagged with a name.

agreed and as long as the circ moves with the shear it should have enough of a conducive upper environment.

also both the Euro and the UKMET bring it to TS force. even the GFS does in terms of winds. the GFS jut has multiple vorts everywhere and no organization.

most of the mesoscale models all develop it in some form either in the gulf or off east coast.
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sun May 24, 2020 10:44 am

Just in time to delay a certain historical event happening on May 27th in Florida.
1 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#43 Postby chaser1 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 am

NAM's and GFS do seem to depict a developing broad 850 mb circulation but remaining west of Florida and generally moving northward into the N.E. GOM. I'd be impressed but equally surprised if any COC could quite develop over S.W. Florida by tomm. afternoon. I'm thinking perhaps falling pressures within a N.E.-S.W. oriented low. Hard for me to project any wind-related impact given that any increased gradient would seem to be well towards the east (maybe along the east coast if any broad low were to continue to deepen while crossing the state?). If you live in Florida, get your kayaks out just in case :fishing: How 'bout this, Wobble-Watching in May for the 2nd time already lol.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Disturbance in the NW Caribbean Sea

#44 Postby jlauderdal » Sun May 24, 2020 11:13 am

chaser1 wrote:NAM's and GFS do seem to depict a developing broad 850 mb circulation but remaining west of Florida and generally moving northward into the N.E. GOM. I'd be impressed but equally surprised if any COC could quite develop over S.W. Florida by tomm. afternoon. I'm thinking perhaps falling pressures within a N.E.-S.W. oriented low. Hard for me to project any wind-related impact given that any increased gradient would seem to be well towards the east (maybe along the east coast if any broad low were to continue to deepen while crossing the state?). If you live in Florida, get your kayaks out just in case :fishing: How 'bout this, Wobble-Watching in May for the 2nd time already lol.
It seemed like the precip would be maximized south dade to marathon today but it appears that will corridor will be pushed 75 miles north
1 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#45 Postby Nuno » Sun May 24, 2020 11:43 am

jlauderdal wrote:
chaser1 wrote:NAM's and GFS do seem to depict a developing broad 850 mb circulation but remaining west of Florida and generally moving northward into the N.E. GOM. I'd be impressed but equally surprised if any COC could quite develop over S.W. Florida by tomm. afternoon. I'm thinking perhaps falling pressures within a N.E.-S.W. oriented low. Hard for me to project any wind-related impact given that any increased gradient would seem to be well towards the east (maybe along the east coast if any broad low were to continue to deepen while crossing the state?). If you live in Florida, get your kayaks out just in case :fishing: How 'bout this, Wobble-Watching in May for the 2nd time already lol.
It seemed like the precip would be maximized south dade to marathon today but it appears that will corridor will be pushed 75 miles north

We've received quite a bit of rainfall already in coastal central Dade county already. Does not look to let up anytime soon.
0 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Disturbance in the SE Gulf of Mexico

#46 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 24, 2020 11:54 am

vorticity is increasing a good deal.

12z

15z
0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#47 Postby jlauderdal » Sun May 24, 2020 11:59 am

GeneratorPower wrote:Oh yeah, baybee! Rainy season has started in earnest in South/Southwest Florida and not a moment too soon for wildfire suppression.
14 inches in the bucket last 10 days at my place
2 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#48 Postby toad strangler » Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Light rain just beginning in Port St. Lucie
1 likes   

ouragans
Category 1
Category 1

#49 Postby ouragans » Sun May 24, 2020 12:37 pm

A low pressure trough will develop over the eastern Gulf later
today. Expect fresh to strong winds and building seas E of 90W
tonight into Mon as the trough slowly lifts northward across the
NE Gulf. A trough or weak cold front may move into the NW Gulf by
mid-week. Elsewhere, smoke from fires over southern Mexico could
reduce visibility at times over the SW Gulf.
1 likes   
Personal forecast disclaimer
This post is just a personal point of view, not an information. Please refer to official statements for life-threatening decisions.

David '79, Frederic '79, Hugo '89, Iris '95, Luis '95, Marilyn '95, Georges '98, Lenny '99, Dean '07, Irma '17, Maria '17, Fiona '22
16°13'33.3,"6N -61°36'39.5"W

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#50 Postby SFLcane » Sun May 24, 2020 12:39 pm

toad strangler wrote:Light rain just beginning in Port St. Lucie

HRRR showing some crazy rains rotating into SFL.

1 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#51 Postby chaser1 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:40 pm

jlauderdal wrote:
GeneratorPower wrote:Oh yeah, baybee! Rainy season has started in earnest in South/Southwest Florida and not a moment too soon for wildfire suppression.
14 inches in the bucket last 10 days at my place

Holy-Moly?!! I'm glad you guy's in S. Florida are getting all that precip. There's been a few juicy storms around my neck of the woods (a little northeast of Orlando), but so far I've managed to narrowly miss the recent near-by hail, and less then 2" of rain recently. This next system looks like it'll share it's rainfall event at least throughout the lower 2\3's of the peninsula. I'm hoping (though slightly skeptical) that widespread area's will see 4" +
No doubt though, some lucky winner of this pending 72 hr Florida Precipitation Lottery looks to receive a boat-load of rain. Jlauderdale, if that's you..... I hope your neighborhood has decent drainage considering all the recent rains you've already gotten.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

boca
Category 5
Category 5

#52 Postby boca » Sun May 24, 2020 12:41 pm

It’s been drizzling here in coconut creek all morning no heavy rain yet.
1 likes   

typhoonty
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#53 Postby typhoonty » Sun May 24, 2020 12:53 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:I would wager we get a special TWO at 2pm today with 20% chance.

That isn't possible. NHC needs at least 30% to issue a STWO at a minimum. A product of their directives prior to hurricane season. This is justification in case people were wondering why nothing was circled yet.
2 likes   
FSU Meteorology student, opinions are mine, 18 years experience covering TC's, consult NHC/Local officials when making decisions.

Gabrielle '01, Michelle '01, Charley '04, Frances '04, Dennis '05, Katrina '05, Rita '05, Wilma '05, Fay '08, Isaac '12 Hermine '16, Irma '17, Gordon '18, Michael '18, Eta '20 IAN '22

TheProfessor
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#54 Postby TheProfessor » Sun May 24, 2020 12:53 pm

The GFS has been trending towards the Texas cut-off low stalling further east near the Ark-La-Tex region and in that case I'd expect the wave to go further east and cross the peninsula instead of moving due north into the panhandle.
2 likes   
An alumnus of The Ohio State University.

Your local National Weather Service office is your best source for weather information.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#55 Postby SFLcane » Sun May 24, 2020 1:10 pm

12z euro not backing down... areas across SFL with 14+ inches of rainfall. :eek:

2 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#56 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 24, 2020 1:11 pm

TheProfessor wrote:The GFS has been trending towards the Texas cut-off low stalling further east near the Ark-La-Tex region and in that case I'd expect the wave to go further east and cross the peninsula instead of moving due north into the panhandle.

12z Euro has shifted east. with most of the vorticity consolidating east of the state. Still appears that where will be a tight enough pressure gradient to get TS winds.

so depending on where the vorticity tracks and closes off will be key.

0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#57 Postby toad strangler » Sun May 24, 2020 1:13 pm

12Z Euro signaling 50mph plus gusts for the Treasure Coast

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/1264620134590746624

Last edited by toad strangler on Sun May 24, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 likes   

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: RE: Re: Disturbance in the SE Gulf of Mexico

#58 Postby jlauderdal » Sun May 24, 2020 1:15 pm

SFLcane wrote:12z euro not backing down... areas across SFL with 14+ inches of rainfall. :eek:

https://i.imgur.com/DbYslo3.png
Things have quieted down at my house, atmosphere in a lull while the dynamics to the sw get going.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby Aric Dunn » Sun May 24, 2020 1:31 pm

Current surface winds in red. with a east to west trough lifting north

anywhere along that trough as it lifts north could quickly start spawning vorts.

models typically have a hard time dealing with systems like this and something could very quickly pop up.

in the short term.. keeping an eye on the west end of the boundary where the surface convergence is increasing.

1 likes   

Jr0d
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#60 Postby Jr0d » Sun May 24, 2020 1:38 pm

Possibly the start of a pressure drop in Key West
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”