2020 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2020 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#241 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu May 28, 2020 12:17 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:The 12z GFS pushes the date back so I’m starting to wonder if this is a phantom storm, like we’ve seen many times in this region this time of year from this particular model.

How does it push the date back? It shows development fairly soon. It just doesn’t have it moving north crossing over.

Development is beyond the reliable 10 day range. I’m just being extra cautious knowing the bias the model once had concerning CAG’s.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#242 Postby Cpv17 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:18 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:The 12z GFS pushes the date back so I’m starting to wonder if this is a phantom storm, like we’ve seen many times in this region this time of year from this particular model.

How does it push the date back? It shows development fairly soon. It just doesn’t have it moving north crossing over.

Development is beyond the reliable 10 day range. I’m just being extra cautious knowing the bias the model once had concerning CAG’s.

I think we’re talking about a completely different system then cuz I’m seeing one that develops in a few days
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#243 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu May 28, 2020 12:20 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:

I think we’re talking about a completely different system then cuz I’m seeing one that develops in a few days

Are you talking about that quick little spin up low that goes straight west into Nicaragua?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

#244 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Thu May 28, 2020 12:27 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
Siker wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:Some sort of development weekend-after-next looks very possible with multiple models showing something.

Would handily beat 2012 in terms of the earliest 3rd named storm.

2016 took the crown actually with Colin on June 5th (though I personally consider Alex to belong to the 2015 season more than the 2016 season...)

I forgot about Colin!

I don't really believe in the whole 'waste of a name' thing but if I was to choose one it would probably be Colin. Most hideous non tropical looking storm ever :D
0 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#245 Postby Cpv17 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:29 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Cpv17 wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Development is beyond the reliable 10 day range. I’m just being extra cautious knowing the bias the model once had concerning CAG’s.

Are you talking about that quick little spin up low that goes straight west into Nicaragua?

I’m talking about the one in the epac rn that the NHC has an 80% chance of development on. That’s the one that models have been showing crossing over. Whatever else y’all are talking about I’m not sure lol
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#246 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu May 28, 2020 12:33 pm

HurricaneEnzo wrote:
Hypercane_Kyle wrote:
Siker wrote:
2016 took the crown actually with Colin on June 5th (though I personally consider Alex to belong to the 2015 season more than the 2016 season...)

I forgot about Colin!

I don't really believe in the whole 'waste of a name' thing but if I was to choose one it would probably be Colin. Most hideous non tropical looking storm ever :D

There’s been quite a few name wasters over the past decade. Like you said Colin (2016) is one along with Andrea (2019), Erin (2019) didn’t look that great, that just names a few from just last season alone! :lol:
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#247 Postby wxman57 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:36 pm

Good point. Look back to the 12Z GFS run from exactly one week ago. It had the storm developing in the western Caribbean Sea this coming weekend. It keeps getting later and later with development.
5 likes   

Siker
Category 4
Category 4

#248 Postby Siker » Thu May 28, 2020 12:42 pm

Yes the GFS has been pushing back the random spinup it does in the far SW Caribbean, but the TC in the EPAC that gets shoved north into Central America and possibly redevelops in the Atlantic or Pacific is consistently in the next 4-6 days on all models and forms from the disturbance currently crossing Nicaragua.
1 likes   

Dylan
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#249 Postby Dylan » Thu May 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Just like every other time, the global models are going to struggle with a mammoth CAG, especially before it coalesces.

The GFS is clearly having significant feedback issues in its medium & long range, so I would be especially careful when looking at it.

If anything were to develop, its going to be slow, as it takes a long time for all that heat energy to bundle into a tropical cyclone. Especially when you're factoring land interaction & potentially hostile atmospheric conditions, which shouldn't be a surprise since we're talking early June.
7 likes   
Georges('98), Allison('01), Isidore('02), Lili('02), Frances('04) Ivan('04), Cindy('05), Katrina('05), Rita('05), Gustav('08), Isaac('12), Matthew('16), Harvey('17), Irma('17), Nate ('17), Ida ('21).

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#250 Postby Cpv17 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:59 pm

Siker wrote:Yes the GFS has been pushing back the random spinup it does in the far SW Caribbean, but the TC in the EPAC that gets shoved north into Central America and possibly redevelops in the Atlantic or Pacific is consistently in the next 4-6 days on all models and forms from the disturbance currently crossing Nicaragua.

Yes! That’s what I’m talking about. I couldn’t care less what the GFS is showing past a week out. I don’t even pay attention to it.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#251 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu May 28, 2020 1:24 pm

Cpv17 wrote:
Siker wrote:Yes the GFS has been pushing back the random spinup it does in the far SW Caribbean, but the TC in the EPAC that gets shoved north into Central America and possibly redevelops in the Atlantic or Pacific is consistently in the next 4-6 days on all models and forms from the disturbance currently crossing Nicaragua.

Yes! That’s what I’m talking about. I couldn’t care less what the GFS is showing past a week out. I don’t even pay attention to it.

First we have to see if something can manage to cross over from the East Pacific over into the Western Caribbean or BoC. It’s easier said than done! I know there’s been quite a few storms cross from the Western Caribbean into the East Pacific but they too have fallen apart upon doing so at some point.
0 likes   

BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

#252 Postby BYG Jacob » Thu May 28, 2020 4:23 pm

And really, CAGs are obnoxious to try and model. So many minute and subtle interactions that have significant consequence. CAGs are also notoriously messy and take time to sort themselves out.
1 likes   

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#253 Postby Ubuntwo » Thu May 28, 2020 6:14 pm

The GFS has switched back to much earlier development from the gyre, shows how little individual runs mean this far out.
1 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#254 Postby Steve » Thu May 28, 2020 7:24 pm

Sorry about the repost. I screwed up and accidentally posted it in the EPAC thread but wanted it here.

All the major models show organized low pressure in the Gulf in the 2 week realm. It looks like the MJO will be all the way back to Phase 8 (at 7) tomorrow. Different models have different solutions, but it looks like the CPC's forecast is closest to the JMA's prediction. EC is weird and goes into one but then loops an oval through the circle and back into 1. EC would likely have any Gulf action later though you could see something around the Yucatan or BoC kind of mulling around for a few days if it is right.

In my mind, with the gyre setting up, MJO moving into favorable territory and nearby EPAC/S Gulf water temperature profiles, I think the chances are increasing for a named storm in the Gulf in 10-15 days. Some of the models have hinted at something potentially significant in the longer term, but we're now getting into a shorter window with probably a week or so to watch pattern evolution and see if they were sniffing out legitimate development or the usual June phantom ****. Hard to say what happens with June systems. They are known to peel off to the NE. They are known to sometimes come straight up. Sometimes they'll blow left. Sometimes the westerlies are still stronger. But some years you can have minimal steering currents as spring transitions into summer. So if we do get something, it will be interesting to see what some of the controlling mechanisms and potential steering players come into play. Along with that, what is the movement potential? June systems can often be wet when they take their time moving out. So besides where it might go, an important factor will be how fast it can move be it anywhere from Southern Mexico to South Florida.
2 likes   

floridasun78
Category 5
Category 5

#255 Postby floridasun78 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:35 pm

in the synoptic picture is the potential for a low developing over the west Caribbean Sea, that what miami weather office say today Area Forecast Discussion so notice that on models runs today
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#256 Postby NDG » Thu May 28, 2020 10:44 pm

The GFS as always jumps the gun too soon when it comes to development with monsoonal low pressure areas. The MJO is going to be in Phase 1 & into phase 2 over the next 10 days or so. Development on the Atlantic side from the MJO may not be until closer to the following weekend. The GEFS is still persistent that UL winds will improve in the western Caribbean/southern GOM by then.
0 likes   

Cpv17
Category 5
Category 5

#257 Postby Cpv17 » Fri May 29, 2020 1:48 am

The 0z Euro has development starting at 192 hours in the BOC.
0 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#258 Postby NDG » Fri May 29, 2020 6:41 am

The Euro as always over doing ridging on its 7-10 day range. Is looking more and more that what ever forms or does not form in the southern GOM will move north towards the gulf coast.

0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#259 Postby aspen » Fri May 29, 2020 7:27 am

The ICON tries developing something in the BOC from the remnants of the EPac system by only 120 hr out:

The Euro also tries as well, but similar to the GFS, it's showing a back-and-forth pattern: the EPac system makes landfall, comes back over open waters, makes a second CA landfall, tries to spawn something in the Gulf, and then moves out again.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#260 Postby TheStormExpert » Fri May 29, 2020 11:58 am

Today's 12z GFS does quickly spin-up something up off the Nicaraguan coast in a weeks time but it moves into the Nicaragua/Honduras border within a day and dissipates.

Meanwhile a major hurricane develops in the East Pacific just south of Mexico in a weeks time and dies a week later.

FANTASY LAND:

After in fantasy land the same low/storm re-develops just north of Honduras on June 10th and moves NW towards the coast of Belize where it quickly develops into a 1000mb TS on June 11th...
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”