2020 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability / Sat Images

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
USTropics
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2020 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability / Sat Images

#1241 Postby USTropics » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:37 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:
USTropics wrote:
aspen wrote:How do +/-IODs impact Atlantic hurricane season activity? In this situation, would a +IOD help or hamper MDR activity?

There is some debate over the connection between IOD and ENSO, but essentially the +/- mode of the IOD can hinder or propel atmospheric changes during ENSO transitions. For instance, a + IOD increases Pacific trade winds, promotes La Nina, and strengthens the Walker circulation. A - IOD creates weaker trade winds, promotes El Nino, and weakens the Walker circulation. So basically the chain is:

positive IOD --> cooling ENSO (La Nina) --> enhanced Walker circulation --> more active Atlantic
negative IOD --> warming ENSO (El Nino) --> weakened Walker circulation --> less active Atlantic

I thought it was the other way around, doesn't a -IOD favor upward motion over the Maritime Continent, which is more La Niña like, while a +IOD favors sinking over this region?

Eventually it does, but there's essentially a cycle it must complete:

Compare circulations here as well:

Again want to iterate the beginning of my post, there is some debate over the connection between IOD and ENSO. Research on the IOD is still in its infancy so to speak (discovered about ~25 years ago). Its true connection is still unknown, but this research article (https://commons.lib.niu.edu/bitstream/1 ... _12302.pdf) does a good job of describing the different teleconnections.
8 likes   

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: 2020 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Steering / Shear / Instability / Sat Images

#1242 Postby Kingarabian » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:44 pm

The general idea is that a -IOD is associated with La Nina and vice versa. A missing -IOD this season wil re-enforce the idea of a weaker -ENSO event while reducing the probabilities for a robust La Nina by ASO.
2 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1243 Postby AnnularCane » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Seems a little ironic that the waves being so healthy and robust can produce something so detrimental to them.
0 likes   

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#1244 Postby TheStormExpert » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:47 pm

Interesting, so this could kill or lessen the chances of a hyperactive season. Could be some good news for once this year!
1 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#1245 Postby cycloneye » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 pm

AnnularCane wrote:

Seems a little ironic that the waves being so healthy and robust can produce something so detrimental to them.

That is the boomerang effect.
3 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#1246 Postby Hammy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:00 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:Interesting, so this could kill or lessen the chances of a hyperactive season. Could be some good news for once this year!

I personally doubt it but we'll likely see a lull or late start as we've seen the last few years. 2010 featured a large amount of dust for example and waves coming off fairly far to the north and the season didn't really take off until August 20; 2018 being another example (remember how dead August was)
1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1247 Postby CyclonicFury » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:02 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:Interesting, so this could kill or lessen the chances of a hyperactive season. Could be some good news for once this year!

What?
6 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#1248 Postby CyclonicFury » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:25 pm

July CANSIPS is out. :double:

YIKES. Below normal shear in the deep tropics with a VP pattern similar to hyperactive seasons. Above-normal precipitation in the MDR and Caribbean as well. Unlike recent CFS runs, it does not show a strong TUTT at peak. SAL will likely limit MDR development for the next 4-6 weeks (though I wouldn't rule out 1-2 MDR systems during this time), but after that, we'll likely have a very busy peak. This looks MUCH more favorable than the 2018 and 2019 CanSIPS runs at this time. Don't let your guard down based on CDAS showing a cooling MDR after a SAL outbreak!
15 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#1249 Postby aspen » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 pm

CyclonicFury wrote:July CANSIPS is out. :double:

https://i.imgur.com/y1LLuzC.png
https://i.imgur.com/hcgGykn.png
https://i.imgur.com/FLeMqXD.png
https://i.imgur.com/TaPQEcD.png

YIKES. Below normal shear in the deep tropics with a VP pattern similar to hyperactive seasons. Above-normal precipitation in the MDR and Caribbean as well. Unlike recent CFS runs, it does not show a strong TUTT at peak. SAL will likely limit MDR development for the next 4-6 weeks (though I wouldn't rule out 1-2 MDR systems during this time), but after that, we'll likely have a very busy peak. This looks MUCH more favorable than the 2018 and 2019 CanSIPS runs at this time. Don't let your guard down based on CDAS showing a cooling MDR after a SAL outbreak!

If those predictions were to hold up, I would expect some absolutely insane MDR/Caribbean activity starting in mid-August, possibly a mix of 2010 and 2017. Also probably at least one big Caribbean Cruiser like Dean, Felix, or Allen, since the Caribbean is (for once) not looking like a meat grinder.
1 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Shell Mound
Category 5
Category 5

#1250 Postby Shell Mound » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:16 am

Kingarabian wrote:The general idea is that a -IOD is associated with La Nina and vice versa. A missing -IOD this season wil re-enforce the idea of a weaker -ENSO event while reducing the probabilities for a robust La Nina by ASO.

According to ESRL’s NCEP/NCAR correlations for ASO, stronger negative (positive) SST anomalies in NINO 3 correlate with increased (decreased) precipitation/TC risk over Mid-Atlantic and New England, along with decreased (increased) precipitation/TC risk over GA and parts of SC. Neutral ENSO, especially cool neutral ENSO, tends to promote the greatest landfall risk over the widest possible area, ranging from SE TX to SE GA.
0 likes   
CVW / MiamiensisWx / Shell Mound
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1251 Postby SFLcane » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:52 am

CyclonicFury wrote:July CANSIPS is out. :double:

https://i.imgur.com/y1LLuzC.png
https://i.imgur.com/hcgGykn.png
https://i.imgur.com/FLeMqXD.png
https://i.imgur.com/TaPQEcD.png

That’s as favorable as you will see it for the Atlantic. :eek:
2 likes   

NDG
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1252 Postby NDG » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:01 am

Hammy wrote:

I personally doubt it but we'll likely see a lull or late start as we've seen the last few years. 2010 featured a large amount of dust for example and waves coming off fairly far to the north and the season didn't really take off until August 20; 2018 being another example (remember how dead August was)

2017 also had a relatively slow July with lots of shear across the Caribbean. The couple of weak systems that formed over the MDR in July struggled with SAL and dissipated before reaching the Windward Islands. The season didn't really started until the second to third week of August.
1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1253 Postby SFLcane » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:25 am

5 likes   

AutoPenalti
Category 5
Category 5

#1254 Postby AutoPenalti » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:32 am

The only thing left on the table that could affect the Atlantic is SAL and that’s going to relax soon.
3 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)

TCVN
is a weighted averaged

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

2020 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#1255 Postby toad strangler » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:44 am

0 likes   

Kazmit
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2020 Global Model Runs Discussion (Out thru day 16)

#1256 Postby Kazmit » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:49 am

If it wasn't for SAL I can't imagine how active July (and early August) would be, not just this year but most years. :roll:
1 likes   
Igor 2010, Sandy 2012, Fay 2014, Gonzalo 2014, Joaquin 2015, Nicole 2016, Humberto 2019

I am only a tropical weather enthusiast. My predictions are not official and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#1257 Postby aspen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:35 am

AutoPenalti wrote:

The only thing left on the table that could affect the Atlantic is SAL and that’s going to relax soon.

Wasn’t there something about a sinking branch during mid-July that was posted here? Or did I misread something?
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

BYG Jacob
Category 3
Category 3

#1258 Postby BYG Jacob » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:47 am

aspen wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:

Wasn’t there something about a sinking branch during mid-July that was posted here? Or did I misread something?

Sinking branch over the Atlantic sounds like a Euro run at some point.
0 likes   

StruThiO
Category 3
Category 3

#1259 Postby StruThiO » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:21 am

1 likes   

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#1260 Postby SFLcane » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:37 am

Classic busy season warm amo look.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”