ATL: ISAIAS - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

tarheelprogrammer
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: ISAIAS - Hurricane - Discussion

#4181 Postby tarheelprogrammer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:25 pm

God awful IR presentation currently. It took me awhile to find the actual storm. Yikes, at least for this storm yikes. Praying it falls apart. I am not buying into convective bursts tonight. I think we are seeing what this storm will look like for the most part throughout its life.
1 likes   
My posts are not official forecasts. They are just my opinion and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

wx98
Category 5
Category 5

#4182 Postby wx98 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:28 pm

The first center drop is 996 mb
3 likes   

eastcoastFL
Category 5
Category 5

#4183 Postby eastcoastFL » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:29 pm

Breezy and gusty now in palm city. Feels good
2 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Condor
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#4184 Postby Condor » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:29 pm

WxEp wrote:It actually appears to me that the shear has begun to reduce slightly in Isaias' vicinity/near term future path. Also, if you look at the past several 3 hour increments, it appears the anticyclone to the south of the system may be making its way toward a more favorable location for Isaias. Whether or not that is enough to make a difference at this point remains to be seen.

Would like to make a GIF of the last several 3 hour increments but don't have the ability to do so right now. Here is the source of what I'm looking at: http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/w ... oom=&time=

6 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#4185 Postby TheStormExpert » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:29 pm

Naked Swirl Alert!

4 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

drewschmaltz
Category 1
Category 1

#4186 Postby drewschmaltz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:30 pm

It's a valuable learning experience to watch a semi naked swirl enter the warm waters near the gulf stream and struggle. It underpins the importance of all key factors. That said, I'm trying to understand better where the moisture is going to come from. On vapor loops I can usually identify feeders. Where is this going to come from?
3 likes   
I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. PLEASE CONSULT SOMEONE WHO DOES. START WITH THE NHC. ALL POSTS ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY.

alienstorm
Category 1
Category 1

#4187 Postby alienstorm » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:30 pm

This storm is crawling I would say no more than 10 mph, also wnw seems appropriate.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4188 Postby chaser1 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:31 pm

wxman57 wrote:I'm thinking we can discount that 150kt SFMR wind...

Yep, no fence straddling there. I'm with you on that one!
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

jlauderdal
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4189 Postby jlauderdal » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:32 pm

Nimbus wrote:Only 1 tenth of one percent reporting power outage in Broward county thus far so those squall lines are probably 40 mph max winds. It doesn't seem to be that far off track and if the core stays even just offshore it will likely redevelop once the shear lets up. Could blow some nasty squalls up with tornado's when the core gets closer to the coast but I think Florida lucked out.
that's a real victory considering th power grid is suspect at best in sofla :flag:
0 likes   

wx98
Category 5
Category 5

#4190 Postby wx98 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:32 pm

alienstorm wrote:This storm is crawling I would say no more than 10 mph, also wnw seems appropriate.

My opinion is more NW, just judging by the way it has moved since leaving Andros.
0 likes   

wx98
Category 5
Category 5

#4191 Postby wx98 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:36 pm

Plane is finding a little stronger flight level wind NW of Nassau. SFMR still about 40 kt (give or take a couple kts). Maybe they will sample some of these new towers N and NE of the LLC.
0 likes   

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

#4192 Postby DestinHurricane » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:37 pm

Convection really firing off North of center.
0 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4193 Postby SFLcane » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:38 pm

jlauderdal wrote:
Nimbus wrote:Only 1 tenth of one percent reporting power outage in Broward county thus far so those squall lines are probably 40 mph max winds. It doesn't seem to be that far off track and if the core stays even just offshore it will likely redevelop once the shear lets up. Could blow some nasty squalls up with tornado's when the core gets closer to the coast but I think Florida lucked out.
that's a real victory considering th power grid is suspect at best in sofla :flag:

It sure is off track as a weaker storm.

https://twitter.com/pppapin/status/1289658146223345665

3 likes   

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#4194 Postby otowntiger » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:40 pm

Now the question of the hour is: what does the NHC do with the intensity at 5:00? I cannot believe they would keep it at hurricane status. It’s obvious to everyone including the average Joe general public who doesn’t pay much attention that this thing is no longer a hurricane and is even possibly just a depression at the moment. So why not just come clean be realistic and downgrade. Then upgrade as necessary? We’ll see.
0 likes   

wx98
Category 5
Category 5

#4195 Postby wx98 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:41 pm

The new convective blowup may draw the LLC more northward underneath it, correct?
0 likes   

chaser1
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4196 Postby chaser1 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:43 pm

drewschmaltz wrote:It's a valuable learning experience to watch a semi naked swirl enter the warm waters near the gulf stream and struggle. It underpins the importance of all key factors. That said, I'm trying to understand better where the moisture is going to come from. On vapor loops I can usually identify feeders. Where is this going to come from?

Right? This storm (or I should say the overall conditions around the storm) is really odd. Like, there's almost always either one "tap-root" type feeder band, or impressive banding all around the center, or at least some limited banding.... somewhere. Just seems that the air around the storm is humidity depleted. Even now, on visible there plenty of evidence of low level convergence to the west and south of the storm. Looks like all spotty cumulus or limited topped CB's. None of that flow seems to be able to fill in and form convective feeder bands though.
2 likes   

pgoss11
Category 2
Category 2

#4197 Postby pgoss11 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:43 pm

otowntiger wrote:Now the question of the hour is: what does the NHC do with the intensity at 5:00? I cannot believe they would keep it at hurricane status. It’s obvious to everyone including the average Joe general public who doesn’t pay much attention that this thing is no longer a hurricane and is even possibly just a depression at the moment. So why not just come clean be realistic and downgrade. Then upgrade as necessary? We’ll see.

I believe they will downgrade it. It’s the right thing to do. They can always upgrade if the system intensifies
1 likes   

emeraldislenc
Category 2
Category 2

#4198 Postby emeraldislenc » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:44 pm

It is pretty amazing to go back and look at the long range models 9 days ago and see where the storm is now. I think some of the models did an outstanding job in predicting the track.
3 likes   

xironman
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4199 Postby xironman » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:44 pm

tarheelprogrammer wrote:God awful IR presentation currently. It took me awhile to find the actual storm. Yikes, at least for this storm yikes. Praying it falls apart. I am not buying into convective bursts tonight. I think we are seeing what this storm will look like for the most part throughout its life.

Why with the weakening shear?
0 likes   

CronkPSU
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4200 Postby CronkPSU » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:44 pm

wx98 wrote:The new convective blowup may draw the LLC more northward underneath it, correct?

yes, this is a definite possibility
1 likes   
Just like Jon Snow..."I know nothing" except what I know, and most of what I know is gathered by the fine people of the NHC

Return to “2020”