ATL: ISAIAS - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

HurricaneEnzo
Category 2
Category 2

Re: ATL: ISAIAS - Post-Tropical - Discussion

#5661 Postby HurricaneEnzo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:15 am

Well you are saying what SHOULD be. I'm basing my input on what it actually is. Makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
0 likes   
Bertha 96' - Fran 96' - Bonnie 98' - Dennis 99' - Floyd 99' - Isabel 03' - Alex 04' - Ophelia 05' - Irene 11' - Arthur 14' - Matthew 16' - Florence 18' - Dorian 19' - Isaias 20' (countless other tropical storms and Hurricane swipes)

I am not a Professional Met just an enthusiast. Get your weather forecasts from the Pros!

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#5662 Postby Nuno » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:25 am

HurricaneEnzo wrote:Well you are saying what SHOULD be. I'm basing my input on what it actually is. Makes a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Yes, what it actually *is* results in a storm that only killed eighteen people, maxing out at 85 mph sustained winds. Tornados were spawned that knocked down trees and resulted in minor roofing damage.

There is no way that the United States should request retirement for this storm, even if you go by what it actually is.
3 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5663 Postby CrazyC83 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:46 pm

MoliNuno wrote:
HurricaneEnzo wrote:
MoliNuno wrote:Isaias, like Imelda, should not be retired. There is a big difference in retiring storm names that do catastrophic damage and result in a large loss of like ala Dorian.

Urban density continues to increase, the parameters for retirement have to shift. ALL cyclones do damage at landfall guys, we can't just retire every storm that impacts the coast. Trees come down, roofs get damaged, yeah. Thats what cyclones do. But this isn't a Katrina or Harvey...

Nobody said it was a Katrina or Harvey they are on a level by themselves. It is in line with many other storms that have been retired in the past though. And until the parameters are officially changed it fits the bill. Total cost of damages has yet to be determined but so far 18 deaths have been attributed to Isaias in 9 different States and 1 in Puerto Rico. Has as good as many others had TBH.

Yes Enzo, that is likely the bar storms should be for retirement. That was the whole point of retirement years ago. Storms that were so destructive and infamous, the name should not be used again. Is Isaias really that destructive or infamous of a storm in that regard? Tornados brought down trees and roofs... again all cyclones do this lol. Retirement should be reserved for the most notorious of storms. For example, 1999's Irene caused 18 deaths and wasn't retired at a similar intensity. All deaths are a tragedy, but 18 from a cyclone in the US isn't something people will recall (or even care about).

We complain about the lack of I names, yet if we continue to call for every storm that causes a billion in damage (which all storms pretty much do now given the urban density) we're going to have to make up names by 2050.

For US storms that affect such a large area, I would consider $8-10 billion to be the benchmark for retirement on damage. For more concentrated areas, a lower number may warrant such if especially destructive. The last hurricane to primarily affect the US (i.e. not warrant retirement elsewhere) with less than $10B in damage in 2020 dollars was Isabel in 2003. Of the storms retired since with less damage in the US, all had severe impacts elsewhere.
0 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#5664 Postby Nuno » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:21 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
MoliNuno wrote:
HurricaneEnzo wrote:
Nobody said it was a Katrina or Harvey they are on a level by themselves. It is in line with many other storms that have been retired in the past though. And until the parameters are officially changed it fits the bill. Total cost of damages has yet to be determined but so far 18 deaths have been attributed to Isaias in 9 different States and 1 in Puerto Rico. Has as good as many others had TBH.

Yes Enzo, that is likely the bar storms should be for retirement. That was the whole point of retirement years ago. Storms that were so destructive and infamous, the name should not be used again. Is Isaias really that destructive or infamous of a storm in that regard? Tornados brought down trees and roofs... again all cyclones do this lol. Retirement should be reserved for the most notorious of storms. For example, 1999's Irene caused 18 deaths and wasn't retired at a similar intensity. All deaths are a tragedy, but 18 from a cyclone in the US isn't something people will recall (or even care about).

We complain about the lack of I names, yet if we continue to call for every storm that causes a billion in damage (which all storms pretty much do now given the urban density) we're going to have to make up names by 2050.

For US storms that affect such a large area, I would consider $8-10 billion to be the benchmark for retirement on damage. For more concentrated areas, a lower number may warrant such if especially destructive. The last hurricane to primarily affect the US (i.e. not warrant retirement elsewhere) with less than $10B in damage in 2020 dollars was Isabel in 2003. Of the storms retired since with less damage in the US, all had severe impacts elsewhere.

I am trying to find damage estimates for Isaias, but it is still too soon. Wikipedia lists it currently at $75m, without a concrete source though, seems to be taken from preliminary state assessments.
0 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#5665 Postby cheezyWXguy » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:56 pm

MoliNuno wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:
MoliNuno wrote:

I am trying to find damage estimates for Isaias, but it is still too soon. Wikipedia lists it currently at $75m, without a concrete source though, seems to be taken from preliminary state assessments.

That estimate only has 3 or 4 states accounted for, and likely only a few counties from those states. Very preliminary. I would be amazed if it was under $1bil
3 likes   

SouthernBreeze
Category 1
Category 1

#5666 Postby SouthernBreeze » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:13 pm

Gosh, I see where Holden Beach town officials are estimating Hurricane Isaias damages at over $40 million, for just their 1 NC beach town!
0 likes   
My posts are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. It's just my opinion and not backed by sound meteorological data, and NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

grazed by many - most wind damage: Hugo (pre-cellphone days!) & most water: Floyd

Return to “2020”