ATL: BETA - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: ATL: INVEST 90L - Discussion

#61 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:52 pm

lrak wrote:What is the convection east of Tampico? Is that a ML spin?

It looks like a low level spin to me.

That's what I think. It doesn't align with the ASCAT center.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#62 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:53 pm

This one could be dangerous down the road with the bathwater in the gulf. Certainly don't need another slow mover hit on the gulf coast
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#63 Postby lrak » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:53 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
lrak wrote:What is the convection east of Tampico? Is that a ML spin?

It looks like a low level spin to me.

That's what I think. It doesn't align with the ASCAT center.

Same here, and the NHC estimated center.
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

BigB0882
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#64 Postby BigB0882 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:24 pm

climatology and consensus of the better models suggest it will stay
closer to the coast than eject northeast...since the developing
upper ridge develops overtop of the system. Only the GFS
deterministic pulls the system northeastward...but it`s about 10
days to early based on history and the strength of the upper trough

This confuses me. Climatology and a consensus of the better models show it ejecting northeast but then they say only the GFS shows it going northeast? What am I missing? And 10 days too early? It seems that the GFS and HWRF are similar in speed with the Euro being the one lagging so far behind but even the Euro isn’t 10 days behind, more like 6 days behind the GFS.

Edit: it says THAN and not then. Makes all the difference. My bad. But still, I thought we had GFS, EURO AND HWRF all toward LA so I don’t know how to take that statement.
0 likes   

Audreyadele
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#65 Postby Audreyadele » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:45 pm

FYI I’m just lurker. I’m reading this thread and so confused right now. Could this be a problem for people in south Texas? Coastal Willacy county?
0 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#66 Postby GCANE » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:47 pm

High-helicity towers going up.
Didn't I just say this yesterday?
4 likes   

tailgater
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#67 Postby tailgater » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:00 pm

cycloneye wrote:
Maximum Winds: 25 kt Gusts: nan kt
Minimum Central Pressure: 1008 mb
Environmental Pressure: 1010 mb
Radius of Circulation: 100 nm
Radius of Maximum Wind: 90 nm

https://i.imgur.com/jtsD3ob.png

This seems a little off from what I’m seeing from visible loop. Which have fooled me before.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by any professional institution including storm2k.org For Official Information please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#68 Postby RL3AO » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:12 pm

Audreyadele wrote:FYI I’m just lurker. I’m reading this thread and so confused right now. Could this be a problem for people in south Texas? Coastal Willacy county?

Could it be? Absolutely. A lot will change over the next few days with this one.
3 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#69 Postby RL3AO » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:14 pm

tailgater wrote:
cycloneye wrote:
Maximum Winds: 25 kt Gusts: nan kt
Minimum Central Pressure: 1008 mb
Environmental Pressure: 1010 mb
Radius of Circulation: 100 nm
Radius of Maximum Wind: 90 nm

https://i.imgur.com/jtsD3ob.png

This seems a little off from what I’m seeing from visible loop. Which have fooled me before.

The area to the SE of the main convection is where A-SCAT showed the weak surface low too. It's gonna need a few days to organize at least.
0 likes   

lrak
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#70 Postby lrak » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:36 pm

There is a LL spin directly to the east of the main blob. Is that it? https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42055 winds are out of the NNE in the BOC buoy.
0 likes   
AKA karl

Also
My posts on this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. My posts are my basic observations and are definitely not backed by any "well some" meteorological knowledge. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#71 Postby Steve » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:36 pm

South Texas Storms wrote:Can this season please end already? Man it's been pretty much nonstop activity for months now...

This system looks likely to develop and hang around for a while (what's new?). It should bring a lot of rain to northeast Mexico and south TX. How strong it gets will depend on land interaction, but conditions in the western Gulf are forecast to be favorable for development. No rest for the weary...

Word. When threats are around, my sleep goes to ****, attention stays focused on model runs, satellites, radars, surface plots and all that. It's great to passively track several storms a year and maybe sweat 1 or 2 out every couple of years. But this year is nuts so far. I was thinking today how much I needed a break after both, recent, nearby hurricane threats. It's probably not in the cards. On the flip side, I haven't looked at a single 18z model run yet. That probably ends now. :sun:
8 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#72 Postby wxman57 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:38 pm

Models may be having trouble with all the cool, dry air flowing down the western Gulf along the coast of Mexico this weekend. Such flow naturally forms a wave on any cold front. Most models, at least initially, have the low as frontal. Some detach it from the front and drive it west to Texas next Wed-Thu-Fri. I'd much prefer that they are all wrong and nothing but a frontal wave develops. Who wants to come up with a 7-day forecast for me to issue to hundreds of clients tomorrow? Millions of dollars will depend on what is forecast. So much for any time off post-Sally.
10 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#73 Postby toad strangler » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:42 pm

wxman57 wrote:Models may be having trouble with all the cool, dry air flowing down the western Gulf along the coast of Mexico this weekend. Such flow naturally forms a wave on any cold front. Most models, at least initially, have the low as frontal. Some detach it from the front and drive it west to Texas next Wed-Thu-Fri. I'd much prefer that they are all wrong and nothing but a frontal wave develops. Who wants to come up with a 7-day forecast for me to issue to hundreds of clients tomorrow? Millions of dollars will depend on what is forecast. So much for any time off post-Sally.

Why would you plan for time off August through October in this business? That's like Santa taking December off. Or an accountant taking March and April off. :lol:
8 likes   

AJC3
Admin
Admin

#74 Postby AJC3 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:08 pm

BigB0882 wrote:
climatology and consensus of the better models suggest it will stay
closer to the coast than eject northeast...since the developing
upper ridge develops overtop of the system. Only the GFS
deterministic pulls the system northeastward...but it`s about 10
days to early based on history and the strength of the upper trough

This confuses me. Climatology and a consensus of the better models show it ejecting northeast but then they say only the GFS shows it going northeast? What am I missing? And 10 days too early? It seems that the GFS and HWRF are similar in speed with the Euro being the one lagging so far behind but even the Euro isn’t 10 days behind, more like 6 days behind the GFS.

Edit: it says THAN and not then. Makes all the difference. My bad. But still, I thought we had GFS, EURO AND HWRF all toward LA so I don’t know how to take that statement.

Doesn't help that the sentence is grammatically incorrect. It should read "climatology and consensus of the better models suggest it will stay closer to the coast rather than eject northeast...
4 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#75 Postby Blinhart » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:13 pm

wxman57 wrote:Models may be having trouble with all the cool, dry air flowing down the western Gulf along the coast of Mexico this weekend. Such flow naturally forms a wave on any cold front. Most models, at least initially, have the low as frontal. Some detach it from the front and drive it west to Texas next Wed-Thu-Fri. I'd much prefer that they are all wrong and nothing but a frontal wave develops. Who wants to come up with a 7-day forecast for me to issue to hundreds of clients tomorrow? Millions of dollars will depend on what is forecast. So much for any time off post-Sally.

Ok, if I get it correct do I get a share??? Of course I'm just kidding. This is my thinking of this system is that it will take about 36 hours for it to get fully organized and be declared a TD or skip that and be a TS about a 75-100 miles East of where the weak LLC is currently, then will slowly move north towards New Orleans at around 8-10 mph before slowing down after 36 to 48 hours after formation. After this which is about about 80 hours from now, it will be a Cat 2 Hurricane about 150-200 miles due South of New Orleans and will turn NorthWest towards Vermillion Bay and slowly crawl up to the coast continuously strengthening to either a strong Cat 4 or Cat 5 at landfall. I really do hate saying this but this is what I'm feeling will be happening.

Edit: Northwest instead of Northeast towards Vermillion Bay.
Last edited by Blinhart on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#76 Postby Blinhart » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:15 pm

Steve wrote:
South Texas Storms wrote:Can this season please end already? Man it's been pretty much nonstop activity for months now...

This system looks likely to develop and hang around for a while (what's new?). It should bring a lot of rain to northeast Mexico and south TX. How strong it gets will depend on land interaction, but conditions in the western Gulf are forecast to be favorable for development. No rest for the weary...

Word. When threats are around, my sleep goes to ****, attention stays focused on model runs, satellites, radars, surface plots and all that. It's great to passively track several storms a year and maybe sweat 1 or 2 out every couple of years. But this year is nuts so far. I was thinking today how much I needed a break after both, recent, nearby hurricane threats. It's probably not in the cards. On the flip side, I haven't looked at a single 18z model run yet. That probably ends now. :sun:

Yeah I was hoping for some time off, but this season is driving a lot of us nuts.
2 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#77 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:20 pm

Blinhart wrote:

Ok, if I get it correct do I get a share??? Of course I'm just kidding. This is my thinking of this system is that it will take about 36 hours for it to get fully organized and be declared a TD or skip that and be a TS about a 75-100 miles East of where the weak LLC is currently, then will slowly move north towards New Orleans at around 8-10 mph before slowing down after 36 to 48 hours after formation. After this which is about about 80 hours from now, it will be a Cat 2 Hurricane about 150-200 miles due South of New Orleans and will turn NorthEast towards Vermillion Bay and slowly crawl up to the coast continuously strengthening to either a strong Cat 4 or Cat 5 at landfall. I really do hate saying this but this is what I'm feeling will be happening.

Geez that would be horrible :eek:
0 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#78 Postby Blinhart » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:24 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
Blinhart wrote:

Ok, if I get it correct do I get a share??? Of course I'm just kidding. This is my thinking of this system is that it will take about 36 hours for it to get fully organized and be declared a TD or skip that and be a TS about a 75-100 miles East of where the weak LLC is currently, then will slowly move north towards New Orleans at around 8-10 mph before slowing down after 36 to 48 hours after formation. After this which is about about 80 hours from now, it will be a Cat 2 Hurricane about 150-200 miles due South of New Orleans and will turn NorthEast towards Vermillion Bay and slowly crawl up to the coast continuously strengthening to either a strong Cat 4 or Cat 5 at landfall. I really do hate saying this but this is what I'm feeling will be happening.

Geez that would be horrible :eek:

I agree, but that is what I'm feeling and possibly seeing.
0 likes   

Visioen
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#79 Postby Visioen » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:30 pm

When I'm late for work, apparently "We have a hyperactive hurricane season" isn't a valid excuse.

Ok I live in Europe but the company is American, so you'd think they understand :roll: :ggreen:
7 likes   

stormlover2013
Category 5
Category 5

#80 Postby stormlover2013 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:30 pm

Blinhart wrote:

If it’s south of New Orl and goes ne isn’t that towards fl lol
0 likes   

Return to “2020”