ATL: BETA - Remnants - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: ATL: INVEST 90L - Discussion

#81 Postby wxman57 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:31 pm

I'm thinking it starts out as a frontal low this weekend, ingesting lots of cool, dry air behind the front that will be accelerating down the western Gulf. It may not have much to steer it for 5-6 days. Levi has a good video up discussing the possibilities. If it is to become a hurricane, it is going to have to be out in the Gulf for quite a while, until all the dry air is mixed out. My thinking would be landfall in NE Mexico or south TX next Tue-Thu. Oh, and getting the forecast correct wins you no money, it can only cost you if you're wrong. ;-)
15 likes   

us89
Category 1
Category 1

#82 Postby us89 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:36 pm

wxman57 wrote:I'm thinking it starts out as a frontal low this weekend, ingesting lots of cool, dry air behind the front that will be accelerating down the western Gulf. It may not have much to steer it for 5-6 days. Levi has a good video up discussing the possibilities. If it is to become a hurricane, it is going to have to be out in the Gulf for quite a while, until all the dry air is mixed out. My thinking would be landfall in NE Mexico or south TX next Tue-Thu. Oh, and getting the forecast correct wins you no money, it can only cost you if you're wrong. ;-)

But this is the only profession where you can be wrong and not lose your job!!! :roll:
0 likes   

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#83 Postby toad strangler » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:38 pm

wxman57 wrote:I'm thinking it starts out as a frontal low this weekend, ingesting lots of cool, dry air behind the front that will be accelerating down the western Gulf. It may not have much to steer it for 5-6 days. Levi has a good video up discussing the possibilities. If it is to become a hurricane, it is going to have to be out in the Gulf for quite a while, until all the dry air is mixed out. My thinking would be landfall in NE Mexico or south TX next Tue-Thu. Oh, and getting the forecast correct wins you no money, it can only cost you if you're wrong. ;-)

The last part of this post is true no matter what one does in life. Good luck on your forecast. It's an unorthodox set up so I imagine confidence will be low for awhile.
0 likes   

Shawee
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#84 Postby Shawee » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:42 pm

toad strangler wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Models may be having trouble with all the cool, dry air flowing down the western Gulf along the coast of Mexico this weekend. Such flow naturally forms a wave on any cold front. Most models, at least initially, have the low as frontal. Some detach it from the front and drive it west to Texas next Wed-Thu-Fri. I'd much prefer that they are all wrong and nothing but a frontal wave develops. Who wants to come up with a 7-day forecast for me to issue to hundreds of clients tomorrow? Millions of dollars will depend on what is forecast. So much for any time off post-Sally.

Why would you plan for time off August through October in this business? That's like Santa taking December off. Or an accountant taking March and April off. :lol:

A person can dream!
0 likes   

cheezyWXguy
Category 5
Category 5

#85 Postby cheezyWXguy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:45 pm

us89 wrote:

But this is the only profession where you can be wrong and not lose your job!!! :roll:

Haha, that has to be the meteorology equivalent of being a cashier and having a customer say “ohp, it didn’t scan, so it must be free!”
5 likes   

RL3AO
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#86 Postby RL3AO » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:46 pm

Shawee wrote:
toad strangler wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Models may be having trouble with all the cool, dry air flowing down the western Gulf along the coast of Mexico this weekend. Such flow naturally forms a wave on any cold front. Most models, at least initially, have the low as frontal. Some detach it from the front and drive it west to Texas next Wed-Thu-Fri. I'd much prefer that they are all wrong and nothing but a frontal wave develops. Who wants to come up with a 7-day forecast for me to issue to hundreds of clients tomorrow? Millions of dollars will depend on what is forecast. So much for any time off post-Sally.

Why would you plan for time off August through October in this business? That's like Santa taking December off. Or an accountant taking March and April off. :lol:

A person can dream!

A tropical meteorologist can take September off. They just need to move to Australia.
7 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#87 Postby Blinhart » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 pm

stormlover2013 wrote:
Blinhart wrote:

Ok, if I get it correct do I get a share??? Of course I'm just kidding. This is my thinking of this system is that it will take about 36 hours for it to get fully organized and be declared a TD or skip that and be a TS about a 75-100 miles East of where the weak LLC is currently, then will slowly move north towards New Orleans at around 8-10 mph before slowing down after 36 to 48 hours after formation. After this which is about about 80 hours from now, it will be a Cat 2 Hurricane about 150-200 miles due South of New Orleans and will turn NorthEast towards Vermillion Bay and slowly crawl up to the coast continuously strengthening to either a strong Cat 4 or Cat 5 at landfall. I really do hate saying this but this is what I'm feeling will be happening.

If it’s south of New Orl and goes ne isn’t that towards fl lol

I made a mistake while typing, I meant NW. I edited it.
1 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

SoupBone
Category 5
Category 5

#88 Postby SoupBone » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:52 pm

us89 wrote:

Sarcasm? Because we all know this is very wrong.

wxman, I hope that "forecast" is correct, and it's a very sparsely populated area.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

UTSARoadrunner4
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#89 Postby UTSARoadrunner4 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:56 pm

edu2703 wrote:
ConvergenceZone wrote:Would this be moving into non populated areas of Mexico? I hope?

The NE coast of Mexico is sparsely populated. The biggest cities in this region are located near the border with US, 22 miles from the coast

Models are showing landfall near Playa Badgad, which population consists of a few dozen people.

Hi y'all, first time posting here. Anyways, wouldn't a landfall near Playa Bagdad be a worst case scenario landfall for Brownsville, SPI and the rest of the RGV if 90L intensifies into a hurricane (Between Playa Bagdad and the mouth of the Rio Grande).
0 likes   

bob rulz
Category 5
Category 5

#90 Postby bob rulz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:13 pm

That would be a pretty rare landfall location for this late in the year, no?
0 likes   

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#91 Postby Blinhart » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:14 pm

I really do hope it stays down there and never really strengthens, just don't see it happening right now.
0 likes   

Nimbus
Category 5
Category 5

#92 Postby Nimbus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:24 pm

I'd agree with the dry shear infusion but if that isn't enough to kill the circulation this area might get dragged east and the dry shear might only be a deterent for a few days in that scenario. They are thinking like the model that brings it in as a sheared mess west of Louisiana in the short run, or landfall east of Louisiana later and stronger.

That is as much as can be analyzed now.
0 likes   

UTSARoadrunner4
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#93 Postby UTSARoadrunner4 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:26 pm

bob rulz wrote:That would be a pretty rare landfall location for this late in the year, no?

Typically, yes. Most storms that hit around that location are usually a July/August affair. However, this is 2020, so anything goes at this point.

With that being said, 3 of the 4 worst storms to hit or get close to the Brownsville/RGV area have occurred in September (1933 Cuba-Brownsville, 1967 Beulah, and close call with Gilbert in 1988). These are also some of the most notable storms in history, but y'all already knew that.
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#94 Postby Hammy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:29 pm

A bit old of an example, but could a Josephine 1996 type setup come out of this, where you have a low stall for a few days, develop into a tropical system, and then head towards the coast as a hybrid sort?

1 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

us89
Category 1
Category 1

#95 Postby us89 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:34 pm

SoupBone wrote:
us89 wrote:But this is the only profession where you can be wrong and not lose your job!!! :roll:

Sarcasm? Because we all know this is very wrong.

Yes. Hence the multiple exclamation marks and the eye roll smiley.
1 likes   

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#96 Postby Craters » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:43 am

TallyTracker wrote:I’m thinking something like Alex 2010 could be very possible out of this. Hopefully it stays weak!

Now, there's something. The 6,748th Atlantic storm of 2020 being compared to the first one of 2010! Who'da thunk it? :D
0 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#97 Postby Craters » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:46 am

St0rmTh0r wrote:This season has really been crazy 2020 is an unbelievable year. I remember when the Gulf went over a decade without a major hurricane landfall 2005-2017.

I have to say, though, that there are a few million people who were under the heel of Ike (for what seemed like an eternity) who might disagree with the "major landfall" part of that...
3 likes   
Nothing that I post here should ever be treated as a forecast or anything resembling one. Please check with your local NWS office or the NHC for forecasts, watches, and warnings.

Extratropical94
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#98 Postby Extratropical94 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:54 am

70/90

Thunderstorm activity associated with a low pressure system located
over the southwestern Gulf of Mexico has increased in coverage and
organization this morning. In addition, recent satellite-derived
surface wind data indicate that the low has become better defined.
Upper-level winds are expected to gradually become more conducive
for development, and a tropical depression is likely to form during
the next day or so while the low meanders over the southwestern Gulf
of Mexico. An Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft is scheduled
to investigate the disturbance later today, if necessary.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...high...70 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...high...90 percent.
3 likes   
54° 11' 59'' N, 9° 9' 20'' E
Boomer Sooner!
Go Broncos! Go Cards! Go Niners!
- Daniel

Craters
Category 1
Category 1

#99 Postby Craters » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:01 am

GCANE wrote:High-helicity towers going up.
Didn't I just say this yesterday?

GCANE, every time you start saying stuff like this, nasty things invariably start to happen. Who are you really?...
3 likes   

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#100 Postby ClarCari » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:02 am

sighhhh...slow, meandering, and almost surely another pain in the @$$ to track.
0 likes   

Return to “2020”