2019 and 2020 Cyclones Retirement (both years to be announced in 2021)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

Re: 2019 and 2020 Cyclones Retirement (both years to be announced in 2021)

#241 Postby Ryxn » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Torino wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:Or they could just change it to be pronounced like "Isaiah", with the S instead of H obviously. Which is how I said it up until is was named lol

what about Isaias trading places with Igancio from EPAC? :lol: Igancio is a great name for the Atlantic, and Isaias would do just fine in the Pacific.

*Ignacio (also Ignacio is a Spanish name)
0 likes   

Beef Stew
Category 1
Category 1

#242 Postby Beef Stew » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:06 pm

While we'll start to see more of the damage come daybreak tomorrow, I do suspect 'Zeta 2020' is going to have a very solid chance of retirement.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#243 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:51 pm

There definitely needs to be something done about the issue of retiring Greek names and possibly reconsidering the whole process. We're learning the hard way...and we still have November to get through, what is to say Eta, Theta or another name won't end up as a slam dunk retirement?
2 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#244 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:57 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:There definitely needs to be something done about the issue of retiring Greek names and possibly reconsidering the whole process. We're learning the hard way...and we still have November to get through, what is to say Eta, Theta or another name won't end up as a slam dunk retirement?

Simple, just ditch the Greeks and either do what the WPAC does and just keep going through the lists without starting at A every year, or keep using the 6 lists and add a 7th auxiliary list. Using Greeks was fine in 2005 because that was the first time, but now that it's happened again, it's time for a change. "Retiring" a Greek letter just to use again makes absolutely no sense. Hopefully this will be discussed and we will see some changes this off-season.
3 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#245 Postby Nuno » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:30 am

I would be disappointed since I'm pro-Greek. Its cool and unique, but I echo the sentiment that this will likely be changed going forward. It's the easiest way to simply "retire" Zeta, just stop using Greek letters.

Although given that we're due for a negative AMO period sooner than later, I don't think it's so pressing to come up with a replacement method. Just do what the WPAC does.
0 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#246 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:28 pm

I know we can’t retire Greek storms unfortunately. :roll:

But if Zeta wasn’t a Greek storm would you guys see retirement happening?
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#247 Postby Blinhart » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:40 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:I know we can’t retire Greek storms unfortunately. :roll:

But they will have Delta-2020, and Zeta-2020 retired.
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#248 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Blinhart wrote:

What are you talking about? Thought you cannot retire Greek names.
0 likes   
The following post is NOT an official forecast and should not be used as such. It is just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is NOT endorsed by storm2k.org.

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#249 Postby Blinhart » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:46 pm

TheStormExpert wrote:
Blinhart wrote:

They will do it with the year, but the name will be reused again.
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

TheStormExpert
Category 5
Category 5

#250 Postby TheStormExpert » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:56 pm

Blinhart wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
Blinhart wrote:

It’s not a retirement unless the storms name is never used again (hopefully). :lol:
0 likes   

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#251 Postby NorthieStangl » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:45 pm

Blinhart wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:
Blinhart wrote:

Which, as I already opined earlier, is incredible stupid and goes against the conception of retiring names.

With such far-reaching effects being clearly seen by Zeta, it deserve to be removed outright, but I don't think Delta will be - it hit an area that already had been extensively destructed by a more powerful storm, and it pales in comparison to Laura, Sally, Zeta, and even Isaias. Hell, Imelda was deadlier and more destructive. If Imelda end up not getting retired like Cari insisted it won't be (although I'm still doubtful that it won't be retired), then in that viewpoint Delta don't deserve retirement.
0 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#252 Postby Blinhart » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:20 am

NorthieStangl wrote:
Blinhart wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:What are you talking about? Thought you cannot retire Greek names.

Which, as I already opined earlier, is incredible stupid and goes against the conception of retiring names.

With such far-reaching effects being clearly seen by Zeta, it deserve to be removed outright, but I don't think Delta will be - it hit an area that already had been extensively destructed by a more powerful storm, and it pales in comparison to Laura, Sally, Zeta, and even Isaias. Hell, Imelda was deadlier and more destructive. If Imelda end up not getting retired like Cari insisted it won't be (although I'm still doubtful that it won't be retired), then in that viewpoint Delta don't deserve retirement.

Delta was just as bad as Laura, the damage was far worse for me and many others around me for Delta than Laura, so I take offense to that.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#253 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:59 am

Blinhart wrote:
NorthieStangl wrote:
Blinhart wrote:

Delta was just as bad as Laura, the damage was far worse for me and many others around me for Delta than Laura, so I take offense to that.

Not trying to offend you or anything but I don't think Delta should be retired either. I'm sorry about the damage in your area and hope everything gets better soon for you and everyone else. But all storms that hit the CONUS are destructive. I just don't think storms like Delta quite meet the threshold for retirement, at least in the US. Mexico can make thier own call but I probably wouldn't retire it either. I would however like to see them get rid of Greek letters and redo the way we name storms after the regular list is used.
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#254 Postby ClarCari » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:07 pm

You know it occurred to me that what if greek letters don’t pack as much of a personal feeling to those impacted as a traditional name.
I can just imagine that if Laura and Delta switched, the “name” Delta would be less recognizable amongst those impacted compared to a more traditional name like Laura that people may identify with more.
What if maybe greek letters hardly need to be retired since people won’t identify with something that really isn’t a “name”. It’s kinda like numbering them essentially.

Just a thought and i’m curious what other people think.
2 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#255 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:37 pm

NorthieStangl wrote:
If I recall right, Portugal isn't on the committee. In that case, it cannot make a case for Lorenzo's retirement.

As I have said several times before, this reasoning makes no sense to me. If an official agency of the government of Portugal were to send a letter requesting the name to be retired, the committee would be rude, cruel, and foolish not to do so. I do not see why "not having a member on the committee" prevents a country from asking a name to be retired.
0 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#256 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:42 pm

ClarCari wrote:You know it occurred to me that what if greek letters don’t pack as much of a personal feeling to those impacted as a traditional name.
I can just imagine that if Laura and Delta switched, the “name” Delta would be less recognizable amongst those impacted compared to a more traditional name like Laura that people may identify with more.
What if maybe greek letters hardly need to be retired since people won’t identify with something that really isn’t a “name”. It’s kinda like numbering them essentially.

Maybe you could argue this with other Greek letters, but it is really curious to me that you make that argument about Delta, because Delta is definitely one of the Greek letters which is used as a given name by English speakers. Don't you remember the actress Delta Burke of "Designing Women"? She probably makes Delta the most "recognizable" of all the Greek letters that have been used as personal names. :)
0 likes   

Hurricanehink
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#257 Postby Hurricanehink » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:53 pm

Cleveland Kent Evans wrote:
ClarCari wrote:You know it occurred to me that what if greek letters don’t pack as much of a personal feeling to those impacted as a traditional name.

Maybe you could argue this with other Greek letters, but it is really curious to me that you make that argument about Delta, because Delta is definitely one of the Greek letters which is used as a given name by English speakers. Don't you remember the actress Delta Burke of "Designing Women"? She probably makes Delta the most "recognizable" of all the Greek letters that have been used as personal names. :)

Catherine Zeta Jones?
2 likes   

Cleveland Kent Evans
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#258 Postby Cleveland Kent Evans » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:10 am

Hurricanehink wrote:
Catherine Zeta Jones?

Post #214 on page 11 of this thread will give you figures on how many children were born in the USA in 2019 with Greek letter names.
2 likes   

HurricaneRyan
Category 2
Category 2

#259 Postby HurricaneRyan » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:11 am

If Delta and Zeta were doubtful, Eta is THE storm that will make a run for it now.
5 likes   
Kay '22 Hilary '23

Blinhart
Category 5
Category 5

#260 Postby Blinhart » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:15 pm

Eta-2020 will be retired.
1 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”