2019 and 2020 Cyclones Retirement (both years to be announced in 2021)

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: 2019 and 2020 Cyclones Retirement (both years to be announced in 2021)

#261 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:53 pm

Eta will be the storm that brings a change to how we name storms after we run out of names on the main list. Catastrophic for CA, and it may even regenerate
6 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

NorthieStangl
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#262 Postby NorthieStangl » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:04 am

When it's up in the air if either Delta and/or Zeta will be requested to be "retired", there is absolutely no way that Nicaragua would pass up retiring Eta.

If it end up being a Mitch-style storm for both Nicaragua and Honduras - which I'm certain it will be - the committee REALLY need to reconsider its 2006 choice in not removing "retired" names from the Greek alphabet. Seriously, that was a bad idea from the beginning.
0 likes   
Alberto 1994 Opal 1995 Jeanne 2004 Cindy & Dennis 2005 Irma 2017 Michael 2018 Zeta 2020

Ubuntwo
Category 5
Category 5

#263 Postby Ubuntwo » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:32 pm

With at least 70 deaths and a flooding catastrophe, Eta looks like a retirement lock.
2 likes   
Kendall -> SLO -> PBC

Memorable Storms: Katrina (for its Florida landfall...) Wilma Matthew Irma

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#264 Postby GSBHurricane » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:42 pm

How do you retire a Greek letter though? You can't replace the letter with another. And saying "Eta 2020" is retired but allowing Eta to be used again immediately could cause confusion if there's multiple storms of the same Greek letter that are retirement worthy in the future. So would you just skip it the letter indefinitely?
1 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#265 Postby ElectricStorm » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:46 pm

GSBHurricane wrote:How do you retire a Greek letter though? You can't replace the letter with another. And saying "Eta 2020" is retired but allowing Eta to be used again immediately could cause confusion if there's multiple storms of the same Greek letter that are retirement worthy in the future. So would you just skip it the letter indefinitely?

That's why there needs to be a serious discussion about the way storms are named after the main list is used up. Simple solution: just make a 7th list of names and use those as an auxiliary list. Or just do what the WPAC does. I'd actually rather do WPAC style, that way the same letters aren't used in peak season all the time and we end up getting weird replacement names like Isaias
1 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#266 Postby ClarCari » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:06 am

Weather Dude wrote:
GSBHurricane wrote:How do you retire a Greek letter though? You can't replace the letter with another. And saying "Eta 2020" is retired but allowing Eta to be used again immediately could cause confusion if there's multiple storms of the same Greek letter that are retirement worthy in the future. So would you just skip it the letter indefinitely?

That's why there needs to be a serious discussion about the way storms are named after the main list is used up. Simple solution: just make a 7th list of names and use those as an auxiliary list. Or just do what the WPAC does. I'd actually rather do WPAC style, that way the same letters aren't used in peak season all the time and we end up getting weird replacement names like Isaias

Actually, Isaias is the original pronunciation and Isaiah is the “weird” name invented by us english speakers because our phonetics are screwed. It’s inappropriate to call proper names used to represent countries in the Atlantic weird names so please don’t.

Anyways, I agree with an update to auxiliary or at least the discussion, but 0% chance the NHC will go like WPAC because our public is already used to the alphabet per-season.
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#267 Postby aspen » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:07 pm

Eta’s death toll continues to rise, now up to 181 (150 in Guatemala alone). Who knows how high it’ll get. The widespread, devastating, and deadly flooding from Eta is way more than enough to warrant retirement. Looks like this will be the one to make the WHO rethink the rules on Greek names.
2 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#268 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:43 pm

I agree, we need to "retire" the Greek Alphabet and bring a new procedure.

I think two things should happen: like in the EPAC, there should be an X, Y and Z name alternating every other year. In addition, a new List 7 and List 8 should be added. They would be auxiliary lists with List 7 used in odd years (with a female A name) and List 8 in even years (with a male A name). In the EPAC, those lists would also be used in the other years - List 7 in odd and List 8 in even. Names would be retired normally.
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#269 Postby aspen » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:24 am

CrazyC83 wrote:I agree, we need to "retire" the Greek Alphabet and bring a new procedure.

I think two things should happen: like in the EPAC, there should be an X, Y and Z name alternating every other year. In addition, a new List 7 and List 8 should be added. They would be auxiliary lists with List 7 used in odd years (with a female A name) and List 8 in even years (with a male A name). In the EPAC, those lists would also be used in the other years - List 7 in odd and List 8 in even. Names would be retired normally.

The 2020 Greeks certainly seem like they want to be retired. They’ve collectively caused >$7.4 billion in damages and >284 fatalities, and three of them — Delta, Zeta, and Eta — have at least some arguments for retirement, with Eta being the most likely contender. There’s no way we should be using Eta again after it has devastated Central America and killed hundreds of people.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

SconnieCane
Category 4
Category 4

#270 Postby SconnieCane » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:12 am

aspen wrote:
CrazyC83 wrote:I agree, we need to "retire" the Greek Alphabet and bring a new procedure.

The 2020 Greeks certainly seem like they want to be retired. They’ve collectively caused >$7.4 billion in damages and >284 fatalities, and three of them — Delta, Zeta, and Eta — have at least some arguments for retirement, with Eta being the most likely contender. There’s no way we should be using Eta again after it has devastated Central America and killed hundreds of people.

I think part of the problem with the original rationale for "unretireable" Greek names was the assumption that they wouldn't recur often enough for it to be an issue (who'd have thought only 15 years between uses), and that any Greek-named storms would most likely be late season oddballs out in the open subtropical Atlantic (like Delta and Epsilon of 2005).
4 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#271 Postby CrazyC83 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:33 pm

aspen wrote:

And we're still not done. I agree, Eta would be a retirement lock if it were a normal name, up there with Laura.
2 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#272 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:23 pm

aspen wrote:Eta’s death toll continues to rise, now up to 181 (150 in Guatemala alone). Who knows how high it’ll get. The widespread, devastating, and deadly flooding from Eta is way more than enough to warrant retirement. Looks like this will be the one to make the WHO rethink the rules on Greek names.

Now over 260. :(
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#273 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:25 pm

I was thinking that the only way Greek names could be retired as 'Eta 2020' due to the extreme rarity of these names.

And we are getting deeper into the greek names, what next? Hebrew?
2 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#274 Postby ElectricStorm » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:45 pm

Iceresistance wrote:I was thinking that the only way Greek names could be retired as 'Eta 2020' due to the extreme rarity of these names.

That's how they currently would be retired. However some posters on here including myself would like to see some changes to that method
1 likes   

Boomer Sooner!

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#275 Postby Iceresistance » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:47 pm

Weather Dude wrote:
Iceresistance wrote:I was thinking that the only way Greek names could be retired as 'Eta 2020' due to the extreme rarity of these names.

That's how they currently would be retired. However some posters on here including myself would like to see some changes to that method

Only time will tell on the retirement suggestments.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#276 Postby aspen » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:33 am

It’s crazy that there are six names with cases for retirement this year, and possibly a seventh.
Isaias: $4.7 billion in damages across a large swath of the East Coast, including areas that rarely see TC impacts
Laura: $14.1 billion in damages and 77 fatalities from a 130 kt landfall in SW Louisiana, the strongest landfall in that area
Sally: >$5 billion in damages from a borderline C3 landfall and slow movement
Delta: $4.1 billion in damages after making landfall in the same area ravaged by Laura
Zeta: $3.2 billion in damages from an extremely rare borderline C3 landfall and pass over New Orleans...at the end of October
Eta: >$5.2 billion in damages and >160 fatalities after a devastating 120 kt landfall in Nicaragua and flooding from a multi-day stall over Central America
Iota: looks like this is going to be yet another disaster for Central America, because apparently 2020 has absolutely no idea when it’s time to stop

Who would’ve expected that the Greeks would end up as some of the strongest and most impactful storms of the season? I had a feeling this year could challenge the “no retirement policy” for the Greeks, and it certainly has in a very 2020 fashion: making absolutely no sense and being the worst possible outcome.
2 likes   

underthwx
Category 5
Category 5

#277 Postby underthwx » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:31 am

aspen wrote:It’s crazy that there are six names with cases for retirement this year, and possibly a seventh.
Isaias: $4.7 billion in damages across a large swath of the East Coast, including areas that rarely see TC impacts
Laura: $14.1 billion in damages and 77 fatalities from a 130 kt landfall in SW Louisiana, the strongest landfall in that area
Delta: $4.1 billion in damages after making landfall in the same area ravaged by Laura
Zeta: $3.2 billion in damages from an extremely rare borderline C3 landfall and pass over New Orleans...at the end of October
Eta: >$5.2 billion in damages and >160 fatalities after a devastating 120 kt landfall in Nicaragua and flooding from a multi-day stall over Central America
Iota: looks like this is going to be yet another disaster for Central America, because apparently 2020 has absolutely no idea when it’s time to stop

Who would’ve expected that the Greeks would end up as some of the strongest and most impactful storms of the season? I had a feeling this year could challenge the “no retirement policy” for the Greeks, and it certainly has in a very 2020 fashion: making absolutely no sense and being the worst possible outcome.

ETA for example, could be retired and omitted from the list, and just not used again..... Iota is fixin to most likely be another major, let's see if hopefully it can remain weak...
2 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#278 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:03 pm

aspen wrote:It’s crazy that there are six names with cases for retirement this year, and possibly a seventh.

Yet, of the natural names, only Laura is a sure-fire retirement. The Greeks will be a big discussion on how to treat it going forward.
1 likes   

GSBHurricane
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#279 Postby GSBHurricane » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:36 pm

Now that Ambo, Quinta, Rolly, and Ulysses have all been decomissioned by PAGASA, I wonder if their WMO counterparts (Vongfong, Molave, Goni, and Vamco) will follow suit into the hall of retirement.
0 likes   

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#280 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:22 pm

CrazyC83 wrote:
aspen wrote:It’s crazythat there are six names with cases for retirement this year, and possibly a seventh.

Yet, of the natural names, only Laura is a sure-fire retirement. The Greeks will be a big discussion on how to treat it going forward.

Yeah, quite a strange situation when the majority of the destructive storms this season have all been in the Greek alphabet. I don't think anyone predicted that.
2 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”