How many storms will December feature?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

Re: Will December feature a hurricane this year?

#21 Postby Ryxn » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:12 pm

Since the consensus is that December will likely feature a named storm or 2, I changed the thread title to something more risky. Storms forming in late November and strengthening into a hurricane in December also count as a December cane.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#22 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:16 pm

Going with a strong no. The only thing I see forming is a short lived TS. As crazy as this season has been, it has to slow down at some point...
5 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#23 Postby EquusStorm » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:46 pm

Well... again since 2005 featured a hurricane and a tropical storm in December and we are absolutely nuts in November far beyond what 2005 had to offer, this would be the year to do it if it was gonna happen; that said, it'll take a break in the constant Atlantic troughing OR for the Caribbean to somehow stay favorable so hard to say.
0 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby CyclonicFury » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:50 pm

EquusStorm wrote:Well... again since 2005 featured a hurricane and a tropical storm in December and we are absolutely nuts in November far beyond what 2005 had to offer, this would be the year to do it if it was gonna happen; that said, it'll take a break in the constant Atlantic troughing OR for the Caribbean to somehow stay favorable so hard to say.

Unlike 2005 we haven't had a ton of late season mid-latitude genesis events. A hyperactive season does not by any means guarantee December genesis. 1995 and 2017 abruptly shut off in early November. November 1932 had 70 ACE (including a Category 5 and a Category 2) and went on to have nothing in December.
3 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#25 Postby EquusStorm » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:00 pm

Yeah 2005's mid-latitude pattern was much more favorable. Kinda doubting we get the same high latitude spam we did that year but waters remain very warm so who knows? Wouldn't take much if we got a blocking pattern for a bit
0 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Hypercane_Kyle
Category 5
Category 5

#26 Postby Hypercane_Kyle » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:27 pm

We may see another November hurricane in the Caribbean behind Iota, if one believes the GFS.
0 likes   
My posts are my own personal opinion, defer to the National Hurricane Center (NHC) and other NOAA products for decision making during hurricane season.

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#27 Postby CrazyC83 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:08 pm

Re: the 1932 comparison, before the satellite era it is very possible there were storms in the deep Atlantic that were missed. Delta, Epsilon and Zeta in 2005 may not have been recorded before satellites came around.
0 likes   

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#28 Postby CrazyC83 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:47 pm

We need a poll here: How many named storms will form in December?'

* Zero
* One
* Two
* Three or more

It is insane to think we need one, but something tells me November 30 will not be the end this year.
1 likes   

Ryxn
Category 1
Category 1

Re: How many storms will December feature?

#29 Postby Ryxn » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:05 pm

Changed the title as there is good concensus that a significant low pressure system will form around November 30 that could gain subtropical or tropical characteristics.

How many storms do you think will form?
□None forming in December, but one forming in late November
□None existing or forming in December
□1
□2 or more
Last edited by Ryxn on Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#30 Postby ElectricStorm » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:13 pm

Ryxn wrote:Changed the title as there is good concensus that a significant low pressure system will form around November 30 that could gain subtropical or tropical characteristics.

How many storms do you think will form?
□None forming in December, but one forming in late November
□None existing or forming in December
□1
□2
□3 or more

Possibly 1 weak system in the Subtropics, nothing more than that
2 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

CyclonicFury
Category 5
Category 5

#31 Postby CyclonicFury » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:42 am

Looks like, despite 2020, it will most likely end up being zero after all.
0 likes   
NCSU B.S. in Meteorology Class of 2021. Tropical weather blogger at http://www.cyclonicfury.com. My forecasts and thoughts are NOT official, for official forecasts please consult the National Hurricane Center.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#32 Postby AnnularCane » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:57 am

I was so sure we'd have a little something in December this year. Who knew activity would just quit like that? :hmm:
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Teban54
Category 5
Category 5

#33 Postby Teban54 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:50 am

It's almost as if 2020 desperately tried for a Cat 5 by pumping out everything it can, and once it got one, it just don't bother with storms anymore.
2 likes   

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby Ptarmigan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:35 pm

So far no storms.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”