What is your favorite hurricane of all time and why?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

What is your favorite hurricane of all time and why?

#1 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:24 pm

My favorite hurricane is Dorian of 2019

1. Was a tough little storm that against all odds became an 185 mph beast.
2. 185mph winds
3. Surpassed MPI values
4. Had the best stadium effect storm I have witnessed.
This storm was a storm that had anyone said would get over 160 mph upon it´s formation, no one would have believed and laughed in their face for it. I specifically would like to hear from those with a history with storms. Wxman, aspen, and Cycloneye I am looking at you. :sun:
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

Re: What is your favorite hurricane of all time and why?

#2 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:06 pm

Also thank you to storm2k for allowing me to be part of this wonderful community
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

ncforecaster89
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#3 Postby ncforecaster89 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:43 am

This question has a two-fold significance to me; meaning one that I experienced first-hand and another from the known historical record.

1) Experienced = Hurricane Michael (10/10/2018):

A) The most recent Cat five U.S. hurricane landfall (140-145 kt/916-919mb).

B) Documented the absolute peak winds and storm surge in Mexico Beach, FL, at the coastline within 400 meters of the GOM:

https://youtu.be/wiL3QKraaTY

2) Historical = The Great Labor Day Hurricane (9/2/1935):

A) The most intense (160 kt/892 mb) known Atlantic Basin hurricane landfall in recorded history (1851-present).

B) Despite “Dorian” being estimated to have contained a MSW of 160 kt at landfall on Elbow Cay, Bahamas, it’s a virtual certainty that the MSW of the GLDH of 1935 was even higher/stronger. Moreover, it’s also likely that the lowest minimum central pressure was even lower than the 892 mb figure currently attributed to it.

3) Honorable mention = Hurricane Irma (9/6-10/2017):

A) One of the most spectacular hurricanes ever observed within the NATL basin, in the known historical record! It’s conceivable that “Irma” may have actually attained the same intensity (MSW of 160 kt) as Dorian of 2019.

B) It made multiple Cat five landfalls throughout the Caribbean and then in Cuba. All this prior to bringing major hurricane impacts to the Fl Keys and the SW portion of the FL peninsula.

On a personal note: I documented the 100 kt/938 mb landfall in southern Naples, Fl...where wind gusts of 142 mph were recorded less than 1.5 nm to my ENE:

https://youtu.be/J3DHCI4A3ng
4 likes   

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:01 am

Irma was the first hurricane I experienced( as a tropical storm in north georgia)
This was the storm that got me into hurricanes in the first place.
Was my favorite storm until Dorian.
Edit: My family had a beach house in Mexico beach near the restaraunt with the seafood( I cannot remember exactly but it had a painted shark on the outside),
All wiped out by the storm. :double:
1 likes   

DestinHurricane
Category 4
Category 4

#5 Postby DestinHurricane » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:37 pm

Have to go with my hometown and Eloise 1975. Its not talked about much because there was not too much population in coastal Walton county at the time.
3 likes   
Destin/Santa Rosa Beach, Florida: Ivan 2004, Dennis 2005, Michael 2018, Sally 2020

Fort Lauderdale, Florida Eta 2020, Many future storms!

THE Ohio State University: :cold:

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby Category5Kaiju » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:33 am

Dorian for sure. This was the first tropical cyclone I got to experience (I used to live in Arizona where we get like zero actual cyclones and went to college for the first time in Virginia in fall 2019; at least where I was I got raked by the storm with heavy winds and rain). I also simply cannot believe how that storm, initially predicted to be a nothing-TS that hits Hispaniola and then die, managed to move more east than expected and explode into the historic storm we remember it as. The 185 mph leviathan (even stronger than Irma and Mitch in that regard!) at its peak also looked very symmetric (with the circular eye and stadium effect) and satisfying to see on satellite at least, although the damage was obviously horrible and sad. And I think quite significantly, I have a friend named Dorian (after that storm I often make fun of him and ask him why he had to destroy the poor Bahamas and he always tells me to stop lol)
1 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”