STS Ana Off US East Coast this Week?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

STS Ana Off US East Coast this Week?

#1 Postby wxman57 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:25 pm

I think there's at least a chance that the (initial) frontal low that develops offshore of the Carolinas is classified as a subtropical storm by the NHC next Tuesday. Only US impacts would be northerly wind 20-30 mph along the SC/NC coasts next Mon/Tue before it heads off to the east. Euro develops it closer to land than the GFS. Something to watch for next week. Maybe the NHC needs to start the season on March 15th? ;-)
8 likes   

BadLarry95
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Re: STS Ana Off US East Coast Next Week?

#2 Postby BadLarry95 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:46 pm

Ehh I’m hoping Ana can finally be a hurricane after 7 fails. Cat 1 ots like Chris 2018. So hold ana til June/july
0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby aspen » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:55 pm

The 12z GFS has a decent TS/STS further NE than the Euro, GFS-Para, and CMC, which have a weak system of some kind off the coast of the Carolinas.

Crazy that there’s a decent chance of starting the season in March.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

AnnularCane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby AnnularCane » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:27 pm

Wow, maybe I'll have Ana for my birthday? 8-) Of course she'd have to hang around for at least 4 days.

wxman57 wrote:Maybe the NHC needs to start the season on March 15th? ;-)

Let's not go nuts. :lol:
0 likes   
"But it never rained rain. It never snowed snow. And it never blew just wind. It rained things like soup and juice. It snowed mashed potatoes and green peas. And sometimes the wind blew in storms of hamburgers." -- Judi Barrett, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

CrazyC83
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#5 Postby CrazyC83 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:33 pm

AnnularCane wrote:Wow, maybe I'll have Ana for my birthday? 8-) Of course she'd have to hang around for at least 4 days.

January 1 would be a more logical start date than that...
5 likes   

ClarCari
Category 2
Category 2

#6 Postby ClarCari » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:32 am

Yeaaaa the GFS and Euro have been very consistent on something developing. At least a formidable low pressure system for this early in the year.
The main inhibitors are the wind shear across the whole Atlantic rn and time but this thing could very well beat odds.
0 likes   

Nuno
Category 2
Category 2

#7 Postby Nuno » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:54 am

CrazyC83 wrote:
AnnularCane wrote:Wow, maybe I'll have Ana for my birthday? 8-) Of course she'd have to hang around for at least 4 days.

January 1 would be a more logical start date than that...

Maybe you're joking, but with our ability to better detect storms who knows if pre-season storms will be a normal feature of hurricane season from now on.
0 likes   
Andrew (1992), Irene (1999), Frances (2004), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Fay (2008), Irma (2017), Eta (2020), Ian (2022)

Hurricane Mike
Category 2
Category 2

#8 Postby Hurricane Mike » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:56 pm

I hope not. I hate the early season and subtropical junk that just feeds into the media's climate change narrative.

The older I get, the more I miss seasons like when I was a teen like 2001 or 2003, when the "I" storms came in late September or October instead of late July. I feel like we name far too many systems.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#9 Postby tolakram » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:15 pm

I don't think we need to change objective measurements based on media narrative. I read twitter too, I know a few are preaching it. Kind of tired of reading about it, honestly. Complaints are cheap, solutions not so much. The NHC's mission statement speaks for itself.
7 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

SteveM
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#10 Postby SteveM » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:59 pm

Hurricane Mike wrote:I hope not. I hate the early season and subtropical junk that just feeds into the media's climate change narrative.

The media's what? I feel like that comment needs a little clarification.
1 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby aspen » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:02 pm

SteveM wrote:
Hurricane Mike wrote:I hope not. I hate the early season and subtropical junk that just feeds into the media's climate change narrative.

The media's what? I feel like that comment needs a little clarification.

Essentially the media overreacting at pre-season slop and saying it’s evidence of climate change making hurricane seasons ridiculously active and destructive. With anthropogenic climate change is indeed having some impact on hurricane seasons (either a little or a lot depending on who you ask), just because there’s a pre-season storm doesn’t mean we’re in for another season on the level of 2005/2017/2020. March systems are rare, but they aren’t unheard of, and odds are there were more that were missed in years without recon or satellites.

But back on to this potential system, some of the models as of late have been having trouble getting the precursor low to concentrate into a smaller system that could develop. For example, the CMC shows a very broad low off the SEUS coast next week, and it’s unable to tighten up into a STC or TC.
3 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Ptarmigan
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby Ptarmigan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:25 pm

I wonder how many subtropical systems go undetected before June, especially before satellite and even after satellite.
0 likes   

NXStumpy_Robothing
Category 1
Category 1

#13 Postby NXStumpy_Robothing » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:09 pm

Missed storms (unfortunately) aside, if we do manage to get a named subtropical storm this month, it would only be the second time in recorded history that a storm (tropical and/or subtropical) has formed during the month of March.

The other storm was known to have existed in 1908, moved primarily south-southwest, and brought some relatively minor impacts to islands in the Lesser Antilles, peaking as a Category 2 hurricane.
0 likes   
Undergraduate Meteorology Student, Georgia Institute of Technology

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby Aric Dunn » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:26 pm

most of the Meso models sure like the Idea of Ana..

just like last year early season systems ... keeping an eye on those meso models is a good idea..

WRF-ARW

45 to 50kt as it approaches the carolinas. NAM is similar as well as the other WRF and HRRR's

1 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby aspen » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:30 pm

Aric Dunn wrote:most of the Meso models sure like the Idea of Ana..

just like last year early season systems ... keeping an eye on those meso models is a good idea..

WRF-ARW

45 to 50kt as it approaches the carolinas. NAM is similar as well as the other WRF and HRRR's

https://i.ibb.co/BPvzmHC/Capture.png

The meso models did a great job sniffing out Bertha a while before it actually formed, so I’m definitely gonna pay attention to their solutions for this possible system.
3 likes   

somethingfunny
ChatStaff
ChatStaff

#16 Postby somethingfunny » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:58 pm

Without doing any research to check, I feel like Ana is always a preseason storm.

Doing research now:

May 2015
August 2009
April 2003
June 1997
July 1991
July 1985
June 1979

So if this forms that'll be 3 of the past 4 Ana's being preseason storms. Luck of the draw :roll:
0 likes   
I am not a meteorologist, and any posts made by me are not official forecasts or to be interpreted as being intelligent. These posts are just my opinions and are probably silly opinions.

Hurricaneman
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby Hurricaneman » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:55 pm

looks as though this may be trying to become a subtropical cyclone, but I'm not sure its going to have time to do so
0 likes   

Monsoonjr99
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#18 Postby Monsoonjr99 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:31 am

Looks like it's coming together. Could 2021 begin in March?

0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the NHC and NWS.

Some Californian who codes things and tracks weather.

Kay '22, Hilary '23

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#19 Postby aspen » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:35 am

Only the WRF mesoscale model is showing this becoming a fully fledged TC (1004 mbar, 40-45 kt). However, all models are showing a smaller low pressure area breaking off from the main system to the north, so we might need to keep an eye on that for subtropical development too.
0 likes   

Aric Dunn
Category 5
Category 5

#20 Postby Aric Dunn » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:46 am

Got to hand it the MESO models again.

looks very sub tropical right now. Especially on radar.. convection has closed off around the center..

0 likes   
Note: If I make a post that is brief. Please refer back to previous posts for the analysis or reasoning. I do not re-write/qoute what my initial post said each time.
If there is nothing before... then just ask :)

Space & Atmospheric Physicist, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University,
I believe the sky is falling...

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”