2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#101 Postby JetFuel_SE » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:36 am

wxman57 wrote:Just saw this video on YouTube. Hypothetical 2021 Atlantic hurricane season. I counted about 44 named storms. Used the entire supplementary list. Two Cat 5s into SE Florida and one Cat 3 into SW Florida peninsula. Uh oh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udh_Jn7nZZs&t=339s

Those videos aren't really serious predictions. Only an uber weenie would even think about predicting that many storms, which would beat the 1964 WPAC season by 4 or 5 storms.
2 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

Re: 2021 Indicators: SST's / SAL / MSLP / Shear / Steering / Instability / Sat Images

#102 Postby wxman57 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:08 am

JetFuel_SE wrote:
wxman57 wrote:Just saw this video on YouTube. Hypothetical 2021 Atlantic hurricane season. I counted about 44 named storms. Used the entire supplementary list. Two Cat 5s into SE Florida and one Cat 3 into SW Florida peninsula. Uh oh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udh_Jn7nZZs&t=339s

Those videos aren't really serious predictions. Only an uber weenie would even think about predicting that many storms, which would beat the 1964 WPAC season by 4 or 5 storms.

Of course they're not real predictions.
1 likes   

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#103 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:33 am

Btw Accuweather recently came out with their prediction for this season and are calling for 16-20 NSs, 7-10 hurricanes, and 3-6 major. If the conditions are ripe and La Nina makes a comeback later this season, what concerns me is that Kottlowski even mentioned that seeing more than 20 named storms would not be out of question, and it could even be possible that we may need to use the supplementary list (or basically go into the Greek letters again right after another year that did so, which would be unprecedented). Now we still are ways away, but it is definitely something to keep an eye on
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

InfernoFlameCat
Category 5
Category 5

#104 Postby InfernoFlameCat » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:56 am

Although that would be pretty cool, I hope that does not happen because Florida has a target on its back so more storms means a greater likelyhood of impact. However if there are a lot of storms it could strengthen the Bermuda high and force storms farther west.
0 likes   
I am by no means a professional. DO NOT look at my forecasts for official information or make decisions based on what I post.

Goal: to become a registered expert over tropical and subtropical cyclones.

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#105 Postby SFLcane » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:51 pm

If the CFS is right Florida could have a nasty season. We may not be so lucky this go around

0 likes   

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#106 Postby aspen » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:30 pm

SFLcane wrote:If the CFS is right Florida could have a nasty season. We may not be so lucky this go around

https://i.imgur.com/djxgoCI.jpg

If it’s right, the WCar Caribbean won’t be nearly as friendly for big storms as last year — great news for Central America. That doesn’t exclude long-trackers from the MDR making their way into the Caribbean, though.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

Category5Kaiju
Category 5
Category 5

#107 Postby Category5Kaiju » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:36 pm

This may be one of those seasons where many storms go out to sea and recurve but the select few that do manage to make their way to the Western Atlantic will be very strong. Hopefully not though but that image looks like that may be a possibility
0 likes   
Unless explicitly stated, all information covered in my posts is based on my opinions and observations. Please refer to a professional meteorologist or an accredited weather research agency otherwise, especially if serious decisions must be made in the event of a potentially life-threatening tropical storm or hurricane.

Kingarabian
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#108 Postby Kingarabian » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:09 pm

Here's the new Canadian monthly:

ASO VP200:

ASO Atlantic rainfall:
4 likes   
RIP Kobe Bryant

DorkyMcDorkface
Category 2
Category 2

#109 Postby DorkyMcDorkface » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:23 pm

Kingarabian wrote:Here's the new Canadian monthly:

ASO VP200:
https://i.imgur.com/cN0jEcB.png

ASO Atlantic rainfall:
https://i.imgur.com/7TO3F9t.png

I know it's generally not the best idea to try and decipher tracks with precip anoms on the models (individual storms are too small-scale to be accurately depicted) but I suppose this is sort of what I see for the September forecast period:

I guess it's a bit reminiscent of -NAO with the recurves - I know it's a little hard to tell since the signal isn't extremely well defined. But it would definitely be a welcome sight after all the strikes last year. But of course exact details on steering cannot be diagnosed this early and this far out since subseasonal features like that can vary greatly.
4 likes   
Floyd 1999 | Isabel 2003 | Hanna 2008 | Irene 2011 | Sandy 2012 | Isaias 2020

toad strangler
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#110 Postby toad strangler » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:39 pm

DorkyMcDorkface wrote:
Kingarabian wrote:Here's the new Canadian monthly:

ASO VP200:
https://i.imgur.com/cN0jEcB.png

ASO Atlantic rainfall:
https://i.imgur.com/7TO3F9t.png

I know it's generally not the best idea to try and decipher tracks with precip anoms on the models (individual storms are too small-scale to be accurately depicted) but I suppose this is sort of what I see for the September forecast period:
https://i.ibb.co/ng6CTjf/apriltracks.png

I guess it's a bit reminiscent of -NAO with the recurves - I know it's a little hard to tell since the signal isn't extremely well defined. But it would definitely be a welcome sight after all the strikes last year. But of course exact details on steering cannot be diagnosed this early and this far out since subseasonal features like that can vary greatly.

Climo Climo Climo!
1 likes   

wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#111 Postby wxman57 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:02 pm

The MDR (east Caribbean to Africa south of 18N) isn't looking like it will have a very favorable environment again this year. Storms may struggle until they reach the western Caribbean, as they did last year.
0 likes   

Gums
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#112 Postby Gums » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:10 pm

Salute!

With the La Nina, usually not good for the Gulf, but something seems awry so far this spring.

I go with Aspen for numbers and paths.

East coast of U.S. will bear the brunt once into full season, but I can see a storm in the Gulf early.

Gums sends...
According to Einstein and Yogi Berra, predictions are hard...especially about the future
1 likes   

Iceresistance
Category 5
Category 5

#113 Postby Iceresistance » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:09 am

Do Y'all have a bad feeling about a 2013 Sneak attack? I do have that feeling . . .
Last edited by Iceresistance on Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Bill 2015 & Beta 2020

Winter 2020-2021 :cold:

All observations are in Tecumseh, OK unless otherwise noted.

Winter posts are focused mainly for Oklahoma & Texas.

Take any of my forecasts with a grain of salt, refer to the NWS, SPC, and NHC for official information

Never say Never with weather! Because ANYTHING is possible!

NotSparta
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Storm2k 2021 North Atlantic Hurricane Season Numbers Poll (Open until May 31 at Midnight EDT)

#114 Postby NotSparta » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:14 am

Iceresistance wrote:Do Y'all have a bad feeling about a 2013 Sneak attack? I do have that feeling . . .

Nope, that very rarely happens. It's like expecting a season to be 2005
4 likes   
This post was probably an opinion of mine, and in no way is official. Please refer to http://www.hurricanes.gov for official tropical analysis and advisories.

My website, with lots of tropical wx graphics, including satellite and recon: http://cyclonicwx.com

SFLcane
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#115 Postby SFLcane » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:34 am

5 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#116 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:12 am

CyclonicFury wrote:The January CanSIPS is about as favorable of a look as you can get. Thankfully, it's only New Year's Day, so this likely won't verify. Hopefully it trends to a less favorable look over the coming months.

https://i.imgur.com/Wg5yfVm.png
https://i.imgur.com/uWaR5ul.png
https://i.imgur.com/3AC7wyR.png
https://i.imgur.com/cIrp3F7.png

Now in April the change is notable for a dry western caribbean but we are in the SB so let's see after that passes how this and other models do.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

aspen
Category 5
Category 5

#117 Postby aspen » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:31 am

I should’ve waited to post my first preliminary season estimates lol.

Taking into account this velocity potential map and the moisture forecast map, it looks like this could be a serious MDR year. A velocity potential like that would result in a bonkers AEW train, and if 2020’s problems don’t come back again (large waves that have trouble consolidating and a typhoon-pumped TUTT), I can definitely see a greater frequency of high-ACE Cape Verde storms like in 2010 and 2011.

Interestingly, the EPac looks kinda decent, so less suppressive anomalies and potentially a weaker -ENSO could lead to a slightly more active year than 2020. But then again, 2020’s EPac ACE is a low bar.
0 likes   
Irene '11 Sandy '12 Hermine '16 5/15/2018 Derecho Fay '20 Isaias '20 Elsa '21 Henri '21 Ida '21

I am only a meteorology enthusiast who knows a decent amount about tropical cyclones. Look to the professional mets, the NHC, or your local weather office for the best information.

ElectricStorm
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Storm2k 2021 North Atlantic Hurricane Season Numbers Poll (Open until May 31 at Midnight EDT)

#118 Postby ElectricStorm » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:43 am

Iceresistance wrote:Do Y'all have a bad feeling about a 2013 Sneak attack? I do have that feeling . . .

Another year, another 2013 post... Never fails :lol:
(No offense btw, I just find it amusing)
4 likes   
I am in no way a professional. Take what I say with a grain of salt as I could be totally wrong. Please refer to the NHC, NWS, or SPC for official information.

Boomer Sooner!

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#119 Postby cycloneye » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:52 am

aspen wrote:

I should’ve waited to post my first preliminary season estimates lol.

Taking into account this velocity potential map and the moisture forecast map, it looks like this could be a serious MDR year. A velocity potential like that would result in a bonkers AEW train, and if 2020’s problems don’t come back again (large waves that have trouble consolidating and a typhoon-pumped TUTT), I can definitely see a greater frequency of high-ACE Cape Verde storms like in 2010 and 2011.

Interestingly, the EPac looks kinda decent, so less suppressive anomalies and potentially a weaker -ENSO could lead to a slightly more active year than 2020. But then again, 2020’s EPac ACE is a low bar.

You can change the numbers anytime in preliminary status.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

JetFuel_SE
Category 1
Category 1

#120 Postby JetFuel_SE » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:56 pm

Wishful thinking won't work, sadly.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”