Newbie Question: "Fish Storm"?

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
clearwater
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Newbie Question: "Fish Storm"?

#1 Postby clearwater » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:43 pm

Could someone explain "fish storm" to me? I've tried to find a definition online, but have been unsuccessful.
0 likes   

stormchazer
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby stormchazer » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:45 pm

Simply, it is a storm that turns into the open Atlantic and will not effect land (i.e. the US, Bermuda, etc...). Its only effect may be to shipping.
Last edited by stormchazer on Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
The posts or stuff said are NOT an official forecast and my opinion alone. Please look to the NHC and NWS for official forecasts and products.

Model Runs Cheat Sheet:
GFS (5:30 AM/PM, 11:30 AM/PM)
HWRF, GFDL, UKMET, NAVGEM (6:30-8:00 AM/PM, 12:30-2:00 AM/PM)
ECMWF (1:45 AM/PM)
TCVN is a weighted averaged

Opinions my own.

clearwater
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#3 Postby clearwater » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:46 pm

Ah, thank you.
0 likes   

Weatherboy1
Category 5
Category 5

storm which is no threat to land

#4 Postby Weatherboy1 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:47 pm

This isn't an official term. It's just one that seemed to appear on various message boards a couple of years ago. Basically, it means a tropical storm or hurricane that's neat to admire from a distance, track, etc., but that gets curved out to sea by a trough, low pressure area, etc. without ever being a threat to land. Danielle will almost certainly qualify as a "fish" because of a low that's dropping south in the mid-Atlantic, eroding the subtropical ridge that steers storms to the W or WNW and curving it harmlessly out to sea.
0 likes   

clearwater
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#5 Postby clearwater » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:20 pm

Thank you, weatherboy1. I will spend time wishing all storms become fish storms.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”