Recipes to Share!

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#41 Postby breeze » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:06 pm

Alicia, if you ever come across StormCrazyIowan
on here, just mention Captain Morgan's to her -
LOL - the rest is left to the S2K Bar.... ;)

Thanks for the tip!
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#42 Postby isobar » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:09 pm

Good looking recipes going on here. I would think with 5000+ members, we could pull off an awesome cookbook, complete with storm facts, stories, safety preparedness. Could have a section on "Meals w/o Electricity" - what to do with all those canned beans and tuna when the power goes out. Would be a great marketing tool for S2K. Anyway, back to earth ...

Annette - I see that you're a tofu connoisseur. I love the stuff and am always looking for ways to prepare it. I've just been stir frying it and adding basmati rice and vegetables, but no one else in the house will eat it. Got any good soup recipes?

Here's an easy, non-tofu recipe that my family WILL eat:

Chicken Bianco

pkg boneless chicken breasts
crushed garlic (as much as you can possibly stand)
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup dry white wine
1 can clear chicken broth (14 oz)
S & P
oregano
cornstarch
provolone cheese, sliced (enough for each chicken piece)

Salt and pepper chicken pieces. In large skillet, brown chicken in olive oil on both sides adding garlic toward the end so they don't burn. Add wine and loosen up pan drippings. Add broth, oregano, and more S & P if desired. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked thru - about 15 min. Make a thin paste with cornstarch & water and mix into sauce to thicken a bit. If it gets too thick, add more broth or water. Cover each chicken piece with a slice of cheese. Sprinkle with oregano or parsley for color. Turn off heat and cover until cheese melts. Serve over wide noodles.
0 likes   

weathermom
Category 2
Category 2

#43 Postby weathermom » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:22 pm

meals without electricity is a great idea! great for all the campers, not just after storms!
0 likes   

PurdueWx80
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#44 Postby PurdueWx80 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:51 pm

Tofu lovers - I made my first batch of chili of the season a couple of weekends ago and substituted tofu for the beef. All you have to do is buy extra firm tofu, stick it in the freezer, then thaw it out in a colander. Freezing it allows the water to separate from the bean curd, then once it's thawed you can squeeze all the water out. Then just crumble it and throw it in when you saute the onions, green peppers and garlic. It soaks up a lot of spice, so you can add extra to get the fullest flavor possible. I took it to a party and everyone loved it - it's definitely a great alternative for those who don't eat beef too often.

I was in Japan over the summer for a week or so, and had a 12-course meal that was based entirely on tofu!!! It was amazing, some tasted like cheese, other dishes were more traditional, and the dessert tasted like creme brulee! I'm not sure if I can find any of the recipes, but it was definitely a fun meal.

Tofu is also excellent in Pad Thai - just buy a box from the grocery and substitute firm tofu for chicken or shrimp. Mmmmm...
0 likes   

weathermom
Category 2
Category 2

#45 Postby weathermom » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:27 pm

isobar- hope its not all pork and beans!

kidney beans, chick peas(garbanzo beans), olives, tuna, chopped onion, maybe a little tomato, mix together with a little oil and vinegar or italian dressing. salad from a can!
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#46 Postby Miss Mary » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:38 pm

Purdue - my oldest daughter, a vegetarian, would love to try that chili recipe. I didn't know that trick - freezing the tofu. I'll have to tell her. We made her sloppy joes but they didn't quite turn out right.

As you may have guessed, we make homemade Skyline Chili during the winter months a few times. I keep telling her she can still have it, but I'll use two pans. One with ground beef and the other, tofu. I wasn't sure how the tofu would crumble but now it sounds easy.

Thanks!

Mary
0 likes   

breeze
Category 5
Category 5

#47 Postby breeze » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:43 am

Donna, I can make awesome bean burritos on a skillet
over the Kerosun heater! (*I know - the instructions
say DON'T cook on the top of the heater, but, what's
a girl to do when there's no electricity? ;) )

Most of my tofu recipes are taken from a battered
cookbook that I have had for quite a few years
back (published 1991). It's called the "Tofu Cookery",
by Louise Hagler, and, was printed right here in
good old Summertown! Here's the link to order,
if anyone is interested:

http://www.healthy-eating.com/cookbooks.html#Vegetarian_Cookbooks

You'll find it under the "Vegan Books" link.

Here's a soup recipe taken from that book:

Tomato-Rice-Tofu Soup

Saute together until soft:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2/3 cup green pepper, chopped
2/3 cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced

Blend in a blender until smooth:
1 (16 oz.) can plum tomatoes and juice
or 1 lb. fresh tomatoes
1 can or 2 cups water

Pour blended tomatoes into the sauteed vegetables
along with:
1 cup brown rice, cooked
1/4 lb. firm tofu, cut into small cubes
1 Tbsp. fresh parley, chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. allspice

Stir and heat through, then serve.

I DO like this recipe, except I tend to want to use
more salt!

Thanks for the tip, Purdue! I always tried freezing tofu
and thawing it back out to slice for sandwiches, but, that
never seemed to work! It always crumbled - LOL! ;)
0 likes   

PurdueWx80
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#48 Postby PurdueWx80 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:30 pm

You're welcome - it probably takes some special trick to keep it from crumbling. Since I used that process to make chili, it didn't matter that it crumbled. Perhaps one just has to be extremely careful when squeezing out the water? That soup sounds really good!
0 likes   

Dee Bee
Category 5
Category 5

Recipes

#49 Postby Dee Bee » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:21 pm

Does anyone have quick/batter/non-yeast recipes which use whole wheat flour? Also, can whole wheat flour be used interchangeably with "white" flour cup-for-cup, or does a proportioned mix have to be used? I've read differing opinions. Any help would be appreciated! :P
0 likes   

PurdueWx80
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

Re: Recipes

#50 Postby PurdueWx80 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:24 am

Dee Bee wrote:Does anyone have quick/batter/non-yeast recipes which use whole wheat flour? Also, can whole wheat flour be used interchangeably with "white" flour cup-for-cup, or does a proportioned mix have to be used? I've read differing opinions. Any help would be appreciated! :P

I prefer to use about a 2:1 (wheat to white) ratio, but I think 1:1 is the common number. Using all whole wheat can make dough, bread or any other baked good a bit tough and/or dry. I have an excellent waffle recipe that uses some wheat flour, but it has bananas and nuts in it as well...I assume you're looking for bread. I have an awesome bread book that I'll break out this evening. I'm pretty sure it has a few good recipes that don't use yeast. Are you looking for something in particular?
0 likes   

Dee Bee
Category 5
Category 5

Recipes

#51 Postby Dee Bee » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:58 pm

Thanks for ratio tip, PurdueWx80.

And the waffle recipe sounds yummy -- please share! (I haven't tackled home-made waffles in a while, but the ingredients sound worth the time.)

Actually, I'm a big fan of ANY TYPE of quick bread; my family has always enjoyed it even better than sugary coffee cake or even Krispy Kremes (!) for breakfast or a quick snack. I also enjoy baking multiple batches (such as cranberry, blueberry, streusel, banana, chocolate, Irish soda, date, etc.) as holiday gifts for neighbors and friends each year. They tell me they look forward to eating both old and new favorites, so any recipes you've tried and loved are appreciated!

As for the whole wheat question, now that I've changed to a low-carb lifestyle for myself and rarely eat "regular" bread, I'd like to see if I can alter my favorite recipes (like my mom's Cranberry Bread) to flour from other grains so that I can make myself a "healthier" loaf and still enjoy it as a special treat! :)
0 likes   

deb_in_nc
Category 3
Category 3

#52 Postby deb_in_nc » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:35 pm

Dee,

How about banana,ham and mayo sandwich. I've loved it since I was a kid.

Debbie
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#53 Postby isobar » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:28 pm

Thanks for the tofu tips gang! Annette - That book looks really good. But of course it has to be if it came from Summertown! :D

Mary - Do you make Cincinnati Chili over spaghetti? Our family loves it. It's a tradition every Superbowl Sunday. Except this year, I may try Purdue's Tofu Chili for myself.

Dee - Here's a quick bread recipe that would make a nice gift. It's a modified Pampered Chef recipe. I've sometimes substituted a 1-1 ratio of whole wheat flour, but added maybe 1-2 tbsp more of milk to prevent dryness. Like Purdue said, whole wheat tends to soak up more moisture than white and become dry.

BANANA CHOCOLATE CHIP PEANUT BREAD

1/2 c peanut butter
1 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1 c mashed banana
2 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c milk choc chips
1/2 c peanuts, chopped

Grease loaf pan, preheat oven to 350.
Mix PB and sugar. Add eggs and wet ingredients. Mix dry ingredients together and combine with wet. Add 3/4 cup chips and 1/4 cup peanuts. Pour into pan. Sprinkle remaining chips and peanuts on top. Bake for 45 - 55 mins.

* I can't remember if this makes 1 or 2 loaves. :oops: I would say split it up if it looks like too much.
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

Brine Bath Marinade for Smoked Meat

#54 Postby JenBayles » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:19 am

This marinade is absolutely FABULOUS for smoked turkey and pork ribs, but also works well with beef cuts. I'm one of those "outside the box" cooks that rarely follows a recipe, so this amount is for something large like a turkey or a full brisket.

Into large stock pot:

4 pounds brown sugar
About 1/3 container of salt

Fill pot with water and bring to a boil. Allow to fully cool.

Place meat in kitchen size trash bag and put in a cooler. Pour marinade over meat. Tie up bag and ice down well. Allow to soak at least 12 hours. Season & smoke meat as you usually would.
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

Corn Soup with Shrimp

#55 Postby JenBayles » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:09 pm

This one is kind of a gumbo "lite". Great for cold days...

Corn Soup with Shrimp

Wooden spatula for the stirrin' of the roux. DO NOT USE TEFLON - It WILL melt in the roux as Dave found out the hard way. ;-)
Indoor or outdoor plumbing facilities.
1 stick of real butter (no cheating with margarine!)
1/2 cup flour
2 onions, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 can of Rotel
1 16 oz can of stewed tomatoes
3 ea. 16 oz cans of whole kernel corn
1 16 oz can of cream style corn
(Good luck finding 16 oz cans - I just get as close to it as I can)
A quart or so of water depending on how thick/thin you want it. Chicken broth is better.
Salt, black pepper & cayenne pepper or Tony Cachere's to taste
3+ pounds peeled shrimp
Optional 1/2 cup chopped green onion tops for garnish

1. Visit the toilet facilities and make sure you're on empty.
2. Chop all your veggies and set aside.
3. Get a couple beers good and cold and, if you have one, pull up a bar stool to the stove. You're gonna be stirrin' a while.
4. Melt butter over medium-low to medium heat. Use a pan (preferably cast iron) that is big enough to throw all ya veggies in it later. I don't recommend doing the roux in the soup pot - your wrist will cramp like hell after stirring for 40 minutes.
5. When butter is melted, slowly stir the flour in a little at a time. You want a good flowable mixture so you may not even use all the flour.
6. Swill your beers while constantly stirring the roux. (See why I told you to visit the toilet?!) It will take about 30-40 minutes to get it to a medium caramel color. DO NOT RAISE THE HEAT TO SPEED UP THIS PROCESS! If any black specs show up, you burned it and will have to start all over again.
7. When the roux is the right color with no black specks, throw in ya chopped and minced veggies. Let those cook down a bit (10 to 15 minutes) and throw in the Rotel and tomatoes. Simmer another 10 to 15.
8. Go visit the toilet and offload those beers you ingested during the roux stirring.
9. Turn mixture into your final soup pot. You'll need a good-size pot with some head room to add all those shrimp you gotta peel soon.
10. Add all the corn and mix well. Add everything else except the shrimp and simmer at least one hour.
11. While your soup simmers and stinks up da house, peel ya shrimp and keep 'em cold.
12. Drink more beer. Keep visiting toilet.
13. When you're ready to eat, bring the soup up to a nice bubbling boil, add the shrimp and cook 10 more minutes. Add green onion tops and serve with hot French bread.
ENJOY!
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#56 Postby Persepone » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:07 pm

Whole wheat flour comment...

My opinion is that if you use 2 cups of white flour to l cup whole wheat flour, you end up with good consistency that does not taste heavy. If you use 3 cups of white flour to 1 cup whole wheat, no one will know the whole wheat flour is even there... If you go with a 1:1 ratio, whatever you cook will be an "acquired taste" item.

At 3:1 you can pretty much use the whole wheat flour in any recipe that calls for regular "white" flour.
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

#57 Postby Persepone » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:08 pm

Query: Do you buy "Everclear" in the store or is it the stuff that someone's grandmother makes that comes in canning jars?
0 likes   

JenBayles
Category 5
Category 5

#58 Postby JenBayles » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:12 pm

Persepone wrote:Query: Do you buy "Everclear" in the store or is it the stuff that someone's grandmother makes that comes in canning jars?

Both! Also easily found in bathtubs in college dormitories. :darrow:
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#59 Postby isobar » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:22 pm

LOL Jen, good looking recipe and sound advice. :lol:
0 likes   

Wnghs2007
Category 5
Category 5

#60 Postby Wnghs2007 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:42 pm