Looking for a Traditional English Trifle recipe

This is where our members can post about their hearth and home, whether it be Holiday traditions, recipes, gardening, virtually anything to do with hearth and home.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

Looking for a Traditional English Trifle recipe

#1 Postby sunny » Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:31 pm

made with Lady Fingers. I have been trying to find one for a while. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

English Trifle Recipes

#2 Postby Persepone » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:09 pm

To make English Trifle, you need a cake layer, one or two fruit layers and one or two "jelly" (a.k.a. Jello) layers, and a whipped cream layer to top it off. Use REAL whipped cream (the kind you whip in a bowl)--not Coolwhip, etc. You also need a small quantity of drinking sherry (not cooking sherry, which has salt init). The sherry should not be the cheapest stuff you can find as that tastes like eau de cologne. Amontillado is decent sherry and you can find a small bottle at a reasonable price. The sherry is what gives trifle its distinctive flavor.

For the cake layer, use ladyfingers if you can get them. Otherwise, you can use slightly stale sponge cake, slightly stale pound cake etc. I'd let the ladyfingers get a little stale also (or buy them stale off the day-old rack and save some money).

Construct your trifle in a glass bowl with straight sides if you have one. Otherwise, try for a glass bowl with sides that are as straight as possible to show off the layers. I've used a punch bowl for large crowds.

You want about 1 1/2-2 inches of "cake" in the bottom of the bowl. Pour sherry over this to soak in--enough to moisten the cake, but not enough to make the cake "swim" in sherry. You just want to flavor the cake. Let it sit for a while and have the flavor soak in.

Then you alternate jello and fruit and top off with a thick layer of whipped cream.

For Christmas, I use "red" jello and canned "light" cherry pie filling. Regular works just fine, but this is already a sweet dessert, and so I use the light which has a little less sugar in it. But you can use any flavor of jello you want and any type of "fruit" you want--canned fruit, frozen strawberries, etc. Some people use jam (yes--jam as in raspberry jam or cherry jam, etc. I think it is MUCH too sweet...)

After the sherry has soaked in to the ladyfingers, cake, etc. put on a layer to "seal" the cake so that other layers don't soak down and discolor the cake. You can do this with jam (probably the safest if appearance is paramount) or you can do it with a layer of pie filling. Also, you can do a jello layer (but this is really tricky) on the cake to give you a flat surface for the following layers.

When you make the Jello, make it in a bowl and let it set until it is almost set--you want it soft enough so that it will make a "flat surface" for subsequent layers, but if it is still "runny" it will discolor the cake. So you can actually let it "set" and then sort of chop it into little bits and spoon it in place over the cake.

Then put a layer of fruit on it. As I said, I use cherry pie filling.

For custard layer the best thing to use is Bird's custard which you can buy in American stores. It is "custard powder" similar to American "pudding" and the boxes will be near the pudding and jello in the store. If you can't find Bird's custard, you can use Vanilla pudding or a "custard" recipe. There are lots of other possibilities here--but Bird's works best with the cherry pie filling.

If you want/need to (depending upon how many people, size of bowl, etc. put another layer of Jello and another layer of fruit.

Top this off with REAL whipped cream--not the fake stuff--no coolwhip please. The one thing the English do very well is stuff with real cream...

You can decorate the whipped cream at the last minute with nonpareils, etc. if you want--but traditionally the whipped cream is left plain...

There is no single recipe. If you go to 25 people's houses in England, you will have 25 different trifles. Everyone has their own variations.

PM me if you have other questions about trifle. I can also ask my British friends for other recipes if this does not sound like what you want. But I know that their recipes are a variant of this one.
Last edited by Persepone on Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#3 Postby sunny » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:24 am

Thank you so much Persepone! I am going to make this for Christmas!!!
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#4 Postby alicia-w » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:42 am

http://www.joyofbaking.com/EnglishTrifle.html

(Naples biscuits was the name given to sponge fingers at the time.) (Syllabub being a milk or cream that is whipped with sugar, spirits, spices and sometimes egg whites.) (Comfits are sugar-coated coriander or caraway seeds.)

Trifles are traditionally made in a large deep bowl so you can see all the layers. Many trifle recipes exist and there are very definite opinions as to what should and should not be used in a trifle. There does seem to be a consensus that a layer of cake is on the bottom of the trifle, followed by spirits, fruit or jam, custard, whipped cream, and decorations. The disagreements begin when you discuss what type of cake, spirits (wine, sherry, or liqueur) , fruit (jam), custard, cream, and what decorations should be used. If you do not have a favorite trifle recipe than you have lots of choices as to how you want your trifle to look and taste.

To begin with, various types of cake can be used for the bottom layer. Most commonly a sponge cake, pound cake, ladyfingers, or macaroons are used. Sometimes the cake is split in half and a layer of jam, preserves, or puree is used to sandwich the two pieces of cake together. Once the cake layer is placed on the bottom of the bowl, alcohol is poured or brushed over the cake. Feel free to use whatever spirits you like but it is best if the spirit used complements the other flavors in the trifle. Sherry, white wine, rum, liqueurs (Grand Marnier, Amaretto, Framboise, Frangelico, Kirsch) are some common ones. The amount is dependent on how much liquid the cake will absorb and how strong an alcohol taste you want. (Cakes that are a few days old will absorb more alcohol than a freshly made cake.) Oftentimes I leave the alcohol out (the purist would balk at this) as my children do not like the taste (no matter how little I use). Next comes the fruit layer. Here again you have choices. You can use cut up fruit (like berries, peaches, pears, kiwi, etc.), a puree (raspberry, strawberry, blackberry), jam or preserves, or a combination of these. If you are using fresh fruit it is nice to have a layer of like-flavored jam or puree to intensify the fruit flavor.

Next comes the custard layer. The classic English trifle usually contains custard followed by a layer of whipped cream. However, an alternative is to use a pastry cream instead of the custard. Other recipes replace the custard altogether with a cream filling that can include things like lemon curd, mascarpone cheese, eggs, whipping cream, spirits, lemon juice, or chocolate. Depending on what ingredients are used in the cream filling layer, you may not want or need to top this with a layer of whipped cream.

The size of your trifle bowl and the thickness of the layers will determine whether you need a second layer of cake, spirits, fruit, custard, and cream to fill the bowl. Don't worry if the layers mix together as this is the way trifles are supposed to look (i.e. the lines between the layers can be uneven and even mix together). The finishing touch is to decorate the trifle with toppings such as; fruit, crushed Amaretti cookies, toasted nuts, candied fruits, shaved chocolate, to name a few. (Note: Crushed Amaretti cookies are sometimes used as a layer in the trifle, as well as for decorating the top.)

The assembled trifle is covered and placed in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours to allow the flavors to mingle. This dessert is usually served at large gatherings as the typical trifle serves upwards of ten people.

The recipes I have included here are for individual trifles. This is obviously breaking from traditional but I wanted a recipe that could be made at any time, not just for large gatherings. Don't be afraid to make up your own trifle recipe, using whatever cake, fruit, jam, and cream you have around. A simple trifle may be made from a layer of sponge cake, followed by a layer of raspberry preserves, maybe some fresh raspberries, that is topped off with heavy whipping cream (maybe whipped with a little mascarpone cheese). Don't be afraid to use your imagination and improvise. Use individual glasses or, for larger groups, a pretty glass bowl, as you want to see all those beautiful layers.

TIP: If pressed for time use a store baked cake (sponge, pound, or ladyfingers) and Amaretti cookies.

Strawberry and Lemon Curd Trifle

Strawberries: Cut the strawberries into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons (25 grams) sugar over the strawberries and stir to combine. Let the strawberries sit in the sugar for 15-30 minutes or until the strawberries are nice and sweet.

Pound Cake: Cut eight 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) slices of pound cake. Measure the diameter of the trifle glass and, using a cookie cutter, cut the pound cake slices into eight rounds so they will fit snugly in the glasses. Set aside.

Lemon Curd Cream: Whip the heavy whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add the 1 tablespoon (12 grams) granulated white sugar and whip to combine. Add the lemon curd and beat until incorporated. Set aside.

To Assemble the Trifles: Place one round slice of pound cake in the bottom of each trifle glass. Sprinkle each slice of pound cake with 1 teaspoon (approximately) of Grand Marnier. Next spoon about 1 tablespoon of Strawberry Puree on top of each round of cake. Cover the puree with some of the fresh cut-up strawberries. Place a large dollop of the lemon curd cream on top of the fresh strawberries. Repeat the layers, starting with the pound cake. Once the trifle glasses are filled, cover and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours to allow the flavors to mingle.

Just before serving sprinkle with the crushed Amaretti Cookies.

Serves 4.

Components of Trifle:

1 pound (454 grams) fresh strawberries

2 tablespoon (25 grams) granulated white sugar

8 - 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) slices of Pound Cake (home made or store bought)

approximately 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other spirit

1/2 cup (120 ml) Strawberry Puree (one half the recipe)

1 cup (240 ml) heavy whipping cream

1 tablespoon (12 grams) granulated white sugar

1 1/2 cups (360 ml) Lemon Curd (home made or store bought)

4 crushed Amaretti Cookies (home made or store bought)
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby sunny » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:46 am

Thank you Alicia!!
0 likes   

alicia-w
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#6 Postby alicia-w » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:55 am

I dont use pound cake. I use ladyfingers. The texture is better.
0 likes   

PurdueWx80
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#7 Postby PurdueWx80 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:59 pm

Wow - that picture looks sooo yummy!
0 likes   

Persepone
Category 2
Category 2

Notice I edited my trifle posting!

#8 Postby Persepone » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:11 pm

What an idiot! I forgot to put the "custard" layer in earlier posting--so much for "editing on the fly..."

Thanks Alicia--your trifle information sent me back to check! I don't believe I made such a stupid mistake...

And about that custard layer... you can buy "Bird's Custard" in a box in many American supermarkets. It's in a box that is predominantly blue and yellow and is about the size of a "Knox Gelatin" box rather than a pudding/jello box--but it should be nearby. If it is not, it is with cake mixes, etc. It is not quite like American "pudding" (it is a little bit runnier) but similar. In a pinch you could use "pudding" (vanilla or any other flavor you think would go with your fruit) instead of custard. You could also use a "scratch" custard recipe from an old cookbook. Basically, what custard powder is is "cornstarch" so you can make custard from milk, sugar, vanilla, etc. and cornstarch--but it is tricky and best to use the Bird's Custard mix to get foolproof results. Or, as Alicia says, there are infinite varieties.

Lemon Curd, by the way, which she mentions in her recipe, comes in a jar like jam/jelly--and you will probably find it in the jam/jelly section of the supermarket. It is lemon yellow and opaque. Yes, they do sell it in the US and it is fairly easy to find. When you have opened the jar to make Alicia's recipe, spread the rest on toast (like jam) for a delightful treat.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#9 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:40 pm

I swear everytime I stumble upon this thread, I think of the Friends episode where Rachel thought she was making a traditional Trifle but the recipe page was half glued to another and what she ended up making was half Trifle and half Shepherd's Pie!

Hoping one of you know what I'm talking about. I can no longer think of Trifle without thinking of this episode....and w/o cracking up!

Mary
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:13 pm

Miss Mary wrote:I swear everytime I stumble upon this thread, I think of the Friends episode where Rachel thought she was making a traditional Trifle but the recipe page was half glued to another and what she ended up making was half Trifle and half Shepherd's Pie!

Hoping one of you know what I'm talking about. I can no longer think of Trifle without thinking of this episode....and w/o cracking up!

Mary

lol Yes Mary I did the same thing!! lol Trifle with meat.. lol.. Hey Joey LOVED IT.. lol
0 likes   

sunny
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby sunny » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:42 pm

chadtm80 wrote:
Miss Mary wrote:I swear everytime I stumble upon this thread, I think of the Friends episode where Rachel thought she was making a traditional Trifle but the recipe page was half glued to another and what she ended up making was half Trifle and half Shepherd's Pie!

Mary

lol Yes Mary I did the same thing!! lol Trifle with meat.. lol.. Hey Joey LOVED IT.. lol

I'm glad we could make you two laugh!!
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby chadtm80 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:51 pm

sunny wrote:
chadtm80 wrote:

Mary

I'm glad we could make you two laugh!!

Hey you made me drool too.. lol.. Going to have to get Jenn to check this thread out :D
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#13 Postby Miss Mary » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:35 pm

Chad - Ross kept saying Rachel's Trifle tasted like FEET! And Joey kept eating it and saying mmmm good. In fact Joey kept eating what the rest didn't want!!!

Didn't Chandler say a bird took his share, after he went out onto the balcony to enjoy it? When in fact he dumped it over the side....the only person who loved it was Joey!

Now I miss Friends......

Mary
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#14 Postby chadtm80 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:05 am

Miss Mary wrote:Chad - Ross kept saying Rachel's Trifle tasted like FEET! And Joey kept eating it and saying mmmm good. In fact Joey kept eating what the rest didn't want!!!

Didn't Chandler say a bird took his share, after he went out onto the balcony to enjoy it? When in fact he dumped it over the side....the only person who loved it was Joey!

Now I miss Friends......

Mary

lol.. Yep.. He said he was going to go enjoy it on the balcony.. LOL.. Over it went.. God I miss it now too :-( I heard Chandler was on Scrubs a couple of weeks ago and I missed it :-(
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#15 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:01 pm

chadtm80 wrote:
Miss Mary wrote:Chad - Ross kept saying Rachel's Trifle tasted like FEET! And Joey kept eating it and saying mmmm good. In fact Joey kept eating what the rest didn't want!!!

Now I miss Friends......

Mary

lol.. Yep.. He said he was going to go enjoy it on the balcony.. LOL.. Over it went.. God I miss it now too :-( I heard Chandler was on Scrubs a couple of weeks ago and I missed it :-(

I watched Scrubs that night. The character MP played was similar to Chandler. I thought it was a good show. But in the end, it just made me miss Friends and of course Chandler. It was difficult for me to choose my favorite Friend of the six, but my daughters kept bugging me to choose. I finally picked Chandler, he remained true to his character thru-out the 10 year run. Always funny, always on. The ski trip when he was whigging out of cigarette's, when they were locked out of the cab? Hilarious! Remember Monica asking him once if his parents hadn't gotten divorced, he'd be able to look at life normally, or something like that? LOL"I'm stuck in an ATM with Jill Goodacker!"....another classic Chandler moment.

Okay, now I'm REALLY (doing my best Pheebs imitation) missing that show.....I honestly don't expect to love another sitcom again like I did Friends. Can't see one coming along to top it, in my lifetime anyway.

Mary
0 likes   

chadtm80
Category 5
Category 5

#16 Postby chadtm80 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:49 pm

Miss Mary wrote:
chadtm80 wrote:

Now I miss Friends......

Mary

I watched Scrubs that night. The character MP played was similar to Chandler. I thought it was a good show. But in the end, it just made me miss Friends and of course Chandler. It was difficult for me to choose my favorite Friend of the six, but my daughters kept bugging me to choose. I finally picked Chandler, he remained true to his character thru-out the 10 year run. Always funny, always on. The ski trip when he was whigging out of cigarette's, when they were locked out of the cab? Hilarious! Remember Monica asking him once if his parents hadn't gotten divorced, he'd be able to look at life normally, or something like that? LOL"I'm stuck in an ATM with Jill Goodacker!"....another classic Chandler moment.

Okay, now I'm REALLY (doing my best Pheebs imitation) missing that show.....I honestly don't expect to love another sitcom again like I did Friends. Can't see one coming along to top it, in my lifetime anyway.

Mary

Im sooooo Upset I missed it.. Hope they replay it.. Mary do you watch Joey? At first glance I thought it was going to be Dumb.. But it is HILLARIOUS!! Gotta check it out.. There are suppose to be some "Friends" making special appearances on there as well...

Cant wait for all the seasons to be released on DVD.. But im STILL waiting on all of the Cheers seasons to come out. They are only up to season 3 :roll:
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#17 Postby southerngale » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:57 pm

chadtm80 wrote:

Mary

I love that episode! Joey is hilarious.
0 likes   

Miss Mary

#18 Postby Miss Mary » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:18 pm

Chad - do I watch Joey?! Of course I do.....but I have strong opinions about the show. So be forewarned......I say either ditch the sister or make her less sleazy. Keep Alex and Michael. Now that Joey has a job, thank God, that was one missing component I thought from the start. If not acting, then a temp job was necessary. Remember on Friends he had little money. Living in California is supposed to be very expensive. We're now expected to believe Joey has been saving money? I don't buy that! But hey it's a TV show. My main idea for him getting a job, even just a bar tending type job, would be to give the show one more regular set. So far most scenes have taken place inside or outside of Joey's apartment. On Friends you had their apartments but also Central Perk. And their various work places (Monica's chef jobs, Chandler's office).

I fear the show won't survive a second season. And I really hate to admit that! I do find the episodes funny, but it dragged for so long. Joey unemployed, hanging out with a sleezy sister, etc. Gina is unlike any character we saw on Friends. Even Janice wasn't as annoying as Gina is (IMO). If you like her, sorry. I know the actress playing her is well respected. I just didn't like her from the start.

Oh, I really feel that by now Joey would have been on the phone to Chandler. Come on - those two were such close friends!!! Even if we don't see Matthew Perry on the other end, just knowing Joey was talking to him, seems REAL. For Joey to move 3000 miles away and mention Chandler only once and not even mention the other 4? That's nuts! In real life, Joey would have gone thru withdrawals. And been hanging out at some coffee shop, to reminisce about his time at Central Perk.

Wow, that felt good...sorry to derail this topic once again. But Chad did ask if I watch Joey!!!

Mary
0 likes   

Return to “Hearth and Home”