Fantasy - Severe Thundersnow Warning in Effect!

Winter Weather Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.

Help Support Storm2K
Planetsnow
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

Fantasy - Severe Thundersnow Warning in Effect!

#1 Postby Planetsnow » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:54 pm

The National Weather Service has issued a Severe Thundersnow Warning

Radar indicated a line of severe thundersnow storms approaching the area. If you're in the path of this line, get inside a warm and cozy building immediately and drink hot chocolate. Expect winds up to 60 mph with snowfall rates of 10-12 inches per hour, creating total whiteout conditions with severe blowing and drifting. Intense cloud to ground pink and purple lightning will accompany the snow, creating the appearance of an alien world. Hail may accompany the snow at times with the possibility of developing snow devils or snownadoes. If you're in the path of a snownado, seek shelter quickly. All residents are urged to remain indoors during this extreme weather event. Do not drive in total whiteout conditions. The squall line is slowing down, so expect the intense thundersnow to last for a few hours, leading to 40-50 inches of snow by the time the squall moves through, with drifts up to 30 feet.
0 likes   

Wnghs2007
Category 5
Category 5

Re: Fantasy - Severe Thundersnow Warning in Effect!

#2 Postby Wnghs2007 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:57 pm

Planetsnow wrote:The National Weather Service has issued a Severe Thundersnow Warning

Radar indicated a line of severe thundersnow storms approaching the area. If you're in the path of this line, get inside a warm and cozy building immediately and drink hot chocolate. Expect winds up to 60 mph with snowfall rates of 10-12 inches per hour, creating total whiteout conditions with severe blowing and drifting. Intense cloud to ground pink and purple lightning will accompany the snow, creating the appearance of an alien world. Hail may accompany the snow at times with the possibility of developing snow devils or snownadoes. If you're in the path of a snownado, seek shelter quickly. All residents are urged to remain indoors during this extreme weather event. Do not drive in total whiteout conditions. The squall line is slowing down, so expect the intense thundersnow to last for a few hours, leading to 40-50 inches of snow by the time the squall moves through, with drifts up to 30 feet.

Ahhh, I knew the day after tomorrow movie was correct... :lol: j/k
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#3 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:19 pm

SOUNDS MORE LIKE HALLUCINATIONS TO ME!!!! Methinks that is even past fantasy!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

PurdueWx80
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#4 Postby PurdueWx80 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:54 pm

This has actually happened before in Illinois a couple of winters/springs ago, just to the west of where I was in Indiana at the time. There was a very vigorous storm, producing severe hail and it was just cold enough for the precip to fall as snow. Winds also were reported to have been gusting to 70 mph as well....so it isn't too far from fantasy to have a severe thunderstorm warning with snow!
0 likes   

ohiostorm
Category 5
Category 5

#5 Postby ohiostorm » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:31 pm

Thats something I would like to experience once too. That would be awesome to have that much lightning and that much snow. Not that long of a period but a normal thunderstorm with snow. Just amazing.
0 likes   

isobar
Category 5
Category 5

#6 Postby isobar » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:16 pm

PurdueWx80 wrote:This has actually happened before in Illinois a couple of winters/springs ago, just to the west of where I was in Indiana at the time. There was a very vigorous storm, producing severe hail and it was just cold enough for the precip to fall as snow. Winds also were reported to have been gusting to 70 mph as well....so it isn't too far from fantasy to have a severe thunderstorm warning with snow!

I remember this event. In fact, someone on the board posted the NWS warning. Amazing stuff!!
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#7 Postby vbhoutex » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:39 pm

The snowfall rates are what I was thinking of as hallucinatory. I have actually seen thundersnow here in Houston back when a lot of you weren't even dreams in your daddy's heads-to be precise 1973. Freaked me out to say the least since it wasn't forecast!!! I jumped about a mile because I never expected something like thunder and lightning with snow.
0 likes   
Skywarn, C.E.R.T.
Please click below to donate to STORM2K to help with the expenses of keeping the site going:

madscientist
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#8 Postby madscientist » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:38 pm

vbhoutex wrote:The snowfall rates are what I was thinking of as hallucinatory. I have actually seen thundersnow here in Houston back when a lot of you weren't even dreams in your daddy's heads-to be precise 1973. Freaked me out to say the least since it wasn't forecast!!! I jumped about a mile because I never expected something like thunder and lightning with snow.

Snowfall rates of a foot/hour has happened before.
0 likes   

Aslkahuna
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#9 Postby Aslkahuna » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:56 pm

We had severe thundersnow here in January 1992 with frequent lightning and gusts over 70 mph. Couldn't get a good snow measurement though because most of it wound up in New Mexico. The squalline blew through extra fast.

Steve
0 likes   

nystate
Category 5
Category 5

#10 Postby nystate » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:53 pm

Oswego, NY averages about 6 thundersnow events per year. Its real fun to drive through... :D
0 likes   

Return to “Winter Weather”