We may have another hurricane in the Gulf next week!

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
wxman57
Moderator-Pro Met
Moderator-Pro Met

#21 Postby wxman57 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:49 pm

Actually, there IS another front coming down in 6-7 days, about the time TD5 (Danielle or Earl) reaches western Cuba. Could very well be another major hurricane threat for Florida, but this front won't be nearly as strong.

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod ... 0_168s.gif
0 likes   

perk
Category 3
Category 3

#22 Postby perk » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:51 pm

Cajungal pay no attention to that comment about wishcasting. If the person that made that statement would check out the NHC's projected path on TD#5 maybe they would see that you are not wishcasting.
0 likes   

southerngale
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

#23 Postby southerngale » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:52 pm

justwatching and hial2: This is a tropical forum and we're here to discuss the tropics. TD 5 may very well make it into the GOM and there's absolutely nothing wrong with talking about it. That's what we're here for!! We want our members to be comfortable too...your rude comments were not warranted nor welcomed.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#24 Postby Lindaloo » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:07 pm

hial2 wrote:Wishcasting: Saying that a minimal depression west of the Antilles "should be in the Gulf" in one week + time frame and a hurricane threat to Louisiana and west thereof..
I thought that the destruction that Charley brought to Sanibel/Ft Myers would quell this at least for a little while
I was wrong!!

Yes Charley was horrific, but you need to go take a look at the tropics!!
0 likes   

cctx
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#25 Postby cctx » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:07 pm

Wow Southerngale you took the words right out of my mouth (almost exactly!) If one is looking for only cold hard facts then they should stick to the data sites. As for me I'll take the human warmth and caring on this board any day of the week! Not to mention the great info!
0 likes   

Patrick99
Category 5
Category 5

s-shape

#26 Postby Patrick99 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:08 pm

bahamaswx wrote:Indeed. Other than the possibility of TD5 winding up south of the GOM, there's really no where else for it to go. Likewise, I'd be surprised if TD5 doesn't make atleast minimal hurricane status. Doesn't seem like wishcasting to me, hial2.

It already has a pretty neat looking S-shape with long arms on the water vapor loops. One of the coolest looking TDs I've ever seen, to be completely honest.
0 likes   

Lindaloo
Category 5
Category 5

#27 Postby Lindaloo » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:10 pm

southerngale wrote:justwatching and hial2: This is a tropical forum and we're here to discuss the tropics. TD 5 may very well make it into the GOM and there's absolutely nothing wrong with talking about it. That's what we're here for!! We want our members to be comfortable too...your rude comments were not warranted nor welcomed.

I second that! :D
0 likes   

opera ghost
Category 4
Category 4

#28 Postby opera ghost » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:49 pm

Frankly if I waited for Charley to be completly gone and finished and the electricity to go back on and the Floridians to have recovered....

I'd be an utter fool- as a western gulf resident with a booming caribbean enviroment and a TD forcasted to come into an area where it could be a threat to me.

I might get done looking at Charley and be utterly surprised that there was a hurricane whirling around 12 hours from my section of coastline.

NEVER turn your back on the water as a GOMCoast resident. Not even when you're being torn into pieces on the other side by a monster.
0 likes   

goodlife
Category 1
Category 1

#29 Postby goodlife » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:55 pm

Hey...I'm FROM Houma!!
Lived there my whole life until about 6 yrs. ago...I now live in Mandeville. But my whole family is still in Houma..:)
0 likes   

Air Force Met
Military Met
Military Met

#30 Postby Air Force Met » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:03 pm

hial2 wrote:Wishcasting: Saying that a minimal depression west of the Antilles "should be in the Gulf" in one week + time frame and a hurricane threat to Louisiana and west thereof..
I thought that the destruction that Charley brought to Sanibel/Ft Myers would quell this at least for a little while
I was wrong!!

I think you need a definition of wishcasting...it's not the one you are using. Wishcasting is bringing a storm towards you when there is no emperical evidence to support it. There is plenty of evidence, besides the NHC forecasts, which indicate this system may be a threat to the western GOM.
0 likes   

GalvestonDuck
Category 5
Category 5
Location: Galveston, oh Galveston (And yeah, it's a barrier island. Wanna make something of it?)

#31 Postby GalvestonDuck » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:26 pm

That's it, darn it! :grrr:

I'm going straight out to Office Depot tomorrow morning and buying me another package of big thick dry erase markers for my hurricane tracking chart! This one's done gone dry!! :wink:

(And yes, I did say "done gone" cuz I've been reading all these dag-blamed Southerner's posts and it's rubbin' off on me!)
0 likes   

tropicsgal
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#32 Postby tropicsgal » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:17 pm

Ifeel like this is going to be a long few months as far as the tropics and system's getting into the Gulf Of Mexico as well as the east coast. I feel like we should all keep supporting each other no matter where these systems go. My thoughts are with any and everyone who has had or is having to deal with Charley. This is just my opinion, don't want to offend anyone.
0 likes   

~SirCane
Category 1
Category 1

#33 Postby ~SirCane » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:29 pm

Seems to me we may have a lot of landfalls this year. All of us on the Gulf Coast (and those on the Atlantic Coast!) need to keep guard and watch these things! It looks like Hurricane Earl will be on our back door this time next week!! THAT'S NO JOKE.

We just need to support each other and stay prepared and quit bashing. Especially this year where is seems like we're going to have a lot of landfalls!
0 likes   

LaBreeze
Category 5
Category 5

#34 Postby LaBreeze » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:28 am

Opera ghost, as a fellow GOMcoaster, I couldn't agree more about never turning one's back to the water. I have grown up living by that philosophy. I also agree with many of you here in that we must all support each other and work together at sharing knowledge, experiences, ideas, beliefs, and questions. Prayers and thoughts to those affected by Charley.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”