ATL: MATTHEW - Post-Tropical - Discussion

Moderator: S2k Moderators

StormTracker
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

Re: ATL: MATTHEW - Hurricane - Discussion

#8661 Postby StormTracker » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:45 pm

Patrick99 wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:It seems like it missed Miami well offshore.

Yup. As I thought and similar to David....very little going on here. From this angle of approach, on the SW side of a hurricane...you just dont get all that much. Occasional rain band, but it's disingenuous to say that a rain band is anywhere near as hazardous as being in that little core "donut" around the eye. I suspect this is what will happen in much of South Florida. Just looking with my eyes at the way it's moving, it might just stay off the Florida coast altogether. Not a forecast, just observation. It didn't jog west enough to be a significant factor for Dade, increasingly Broward. We'll see with PBC and points north.

I was telling my mom and dad the same thing yesterday! As I was putting up shutters at the last minute when David was coming thru is when I got the most rain and hardly any wind! Same thing happened today, only because my wife was getting a little paranoid! But, better safe than sorry!!!
0 likes   
Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet!

adam0983
Category 1
Category 1

#8662 Postby adam0983 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:45 pm

When should we see Hurricane force winds in Boca Raton. Very quiet here at the moment. No one predicted this to be so Far East according to the latest model runs of the gfs and Euro.
1 likes   

NativeFloridaGirl
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8663 Postby NativeFloridaGirl » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:46 pm

AdamFirst wrote:NOBODY IS "OFF THE HOOK" YET

Can we stop with all of this projection until the storm is beyond the area? Please?

Please don't scream at me. I'm very concerned and all I keep seeing is "it's going to the cape". It was a valid question.
1 likes   

SapphireSea
Category 1
Category 1

#8664 Postby SapphireSea » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:46 pm

NativeFloridaGirl wrote:So Port St Lucie is off the hook?? That will be the best news ever! I'm worried about my son there.

New eye wall very much puts it on the hook and maybe even more so than ever.
0 likes   

cfltrib
Tropical Low
Tropical Low

#8665 Postby cfltrib » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:46 pm

For OrlandoKnight:
If you have large trees with large limbs near the house, it would be a good idea to move - even a couple blocks away to a clearer location.
Last edited by cfltrib on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#8666 Postby jasons2k » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:47 pm

Hypercane_Kyle wrote:Don't focus on wobbles. Hurricanes of Matthew's intensity do NOT follow a straight line. The overall average motion is unchanged.

I'm viewing a long-term loop...and it is east of the NHC forecast. Should miss the next forecast point to the east, unless the ridge is able to nudge it west again.
0 likes   

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8667 Postby fci » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:48 pm

WPBWeather wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Feeling better with the trends this afternoon as for what to expect in NE Palm Beach County, minimal hurricane force winds seems to be the worst ATM.

Not certain this is correct. Don't assume anything yet.

Also at 2:00 PM, Matthew was 125 ESE of WPB and moving NW.
That's a good thing for PBC
0 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts are just my opinion and are most likely not backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Bottom line is that I am just expressing my opinion!!!

Frank P
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8668 Postby Frank P » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:48 pm

ronjon wrote:
Hammy wrote:There's been a now steady NNW motion for the last several hours and it looks like this is going to go right over the middle of Abaco, and I'm starting to feel confident this will miss the state to the east by about 70-80 miles, though everybody in it's forecast path should continue to operate under the assumption of landfall.

Check back in 6 hours and let's see if you're still correct. These systems stair step.

Well that's a pretty bold statement Hammy, but I sure hope you are right for the great state of Florida, that would make a tremendous difference if it can stay off the coast 80 mile to the east, which would keep all the hurricane force sustained winds out to sea, but man I just don't see the NNW motion you are delineating... still looks to me on average NW... one wobble to the west later on down the road could have even more catastrophic implications...
3 likes   

1900hurricane
Category 5
Category 5

#8669 Postby 1900hurricane » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:49 pm

Even if Matthew does move right of forecast points and stays offshore, it will likely be in the final stages of eyewall replacement by that time, meaning winds will extend out considerably further. The outer eyewall is a tough wrinkle to throw into the forecast.
0 likes   
Contract Meteorologist. TAMU & MSST. Fiercely authentic, one of a kind. We are all given free will, so choose a life meant to be lived. We are the Masters of our own Stories.
Opinions expressed are mine alone.

Follow me on Twitter at @1900hurricane : Read blogs at https://1900hurricane.wordpress.com/

Portastorm
Storm2k Moderator
Storm2k Moderator

#8670 Postby Portastorm » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:49 pm

NativeFloridaGirl wrote:
AdamFirst wrote:NOBODY IS "OFF THE HOOK" YET

Can we stop with all of this projection until the storm is beyond the area? Please?

Please don't scream at me. I'm very concerned and all I keep seeing is "it's going to the cape". It was a valid question.

Your best bet is to follow the official National Hurricane Center forecast, the local National Weather Service forecast for Port St. Lucie, and whatever the local officials there are saying. Until all three of those groups indicate an "all clear" ... then prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Take whatever you see on this forum with a grain of salt. It is simply a bunch of weather enthusiasts, some more educated than others, and a handful of "blue tag" professional meteorologists.
3 likes   
Any forecasts under my name are to be taken with a grain of salt. Get your best forecasts from the National Weather Service and National Hurricane Center.

I'm a certified Advanced SKYWARN-trained spotter and am active on Twitter at @TravisCOSW, a social media partner of the NWS Austin-San Antonio office.

EquusStorm
Category 5
Category 5

#8671 Postby EquusStorm » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:49 pm

At this rate I wonder if it IS going to pull a Gustav/Ike and struggle with Cuba inner core disruption until landfall. With a new eye wall that large I can't imagine it can close it up and reintensify TOO quickly.
0 likes   
Colors of lost purpose on the canvas of irrelevance

Not a meteorologist, in fact more of an idiot than anything. You should probably check with the NHC or a local NWS office for official information.

Alyono
Professional-Met
Professional-Met

#8672 Postby Alyono » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:49 pm

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/ ... 475772669/

136 dead and it seems the worst hit areas have not been reached
1 likes   

GCANE
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8673 Postby GCANE » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Next Live Events (All Times EDT)
Today, 4:45 p.m. - International Space Station Flyover of Hurricane Matthew

http://www.nasa.gov/nasalive
1 likes   

Hammy
Category 5
Category 5

#8674 Postby Hammy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:50 pm

ronjon wrote:
Hammy wrote:There's been a now steady NNW motion for the last several hours and it looks like this is going to go right over the middle of Abaco, and I'm starting to feel confident this will miss the state to the east by about 70-80 miles, though everybody in it's forecast path should continue to operate under the assumption of landfall.

Check back in 6 hours and let's see if you're still correct. These systems stair step.

It would have to move in a straight line, or bend further west, to come ashore south of Jacksonville--and it's expected to start curving east south of there. It's been a steady movement when you average it since about 7-8am.

Extrapolated short and longer term movement--looks to be going east of the forecast points, but expected to curve more north before the point the extrapolation would bring it onshore.
Last edited by Hammy on Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 likes   
The above post is not official and should not be used as such. It is the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. It is not endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

WPBWeather
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8675 Postby WPBWeather » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:50 pm

fci wrote:
WPBWeather wrote:
TheStormExpert wrote:Feeling better with the trends this afternoon as for what to expect in NE Palm Beach County, minimal hurricane force winds seems to be the worst ATM.

Not certain this is correct. Don't assume anything yet.

Also at 2:00 PM, Matthew was 125 ESE of WPB and moving NW.
That's a good thing for PBC

If it lasts. Can't say that yet.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#8676 Postby jasons2k » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:53 pm

Hammy wrote:Extrapolated short and longer term movement--looks to be going east of the forecast points.

We have a winner!

Yes, this has been the trend all morning into this afternoon. That said, the ridge could still nudge it west. Every mile counts when it's paralleling the coast like this.
0 likes   

tolakram
Admin
Admin

#8677 Postby tolakram » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:53 pm

Sorry Hammy, your statement is not horrible but it's a good example of something that needlessly riles up folks looking for information.

Everyone

THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR AMATEUR PROCLAMATIONS.

We are in storm mode and those kinds of statements just fill the thread with questions or arguments and don't add any value. Everyone worries that someone reading something like this may make a bad decision based on an amateur analysis. Please just avoid making these kinds of statements.
7 likes   
M a r k
- - - - -
Join us in chat: Storm2K Chatroom Invite. Android and IOS apps also available.

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. Posts are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K.org. For official information and forecasts, please refer to NHC and NWS products.

meriland23
Category 5
Category 5

#8678 Postby meriland23 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:53 pm

How is the intensity looking atm via radar?
0 likes   
The posts in this forum are NOT official forecast and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.

fci
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#8679 Postby fci » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:53 pm

StormTracker wrote:
Patrick99 wrote:
AutoPenalti wrote:It seems like it missed Miami well offshore.

Yup. As I thought and similar to David....very little going on here. From this angle of approach, on the SW side of a hurricane...you just dont get all that much. Occasional rain band, but it's disingenuous to say that a rain band is anywhere near as hazardous as being in that little core "donut" around the eye. I suspect this is what will happen in much of South Florida. Just looking with my eyes at the way it's moving, it might just stay off the Florida coast altogether. Not a forecast, just observation. It didn't jog west enough to be a significant factor for Dade, increasingly Broward. We'll see with PBC and points north.

I was telling my mom and dad the same thing yesterday! As I was putting up shutters at the last minute when David was coming thru is when I got the most rain and hardly any wind! Same thing happened today, only because my wife was getting a little paranoid! But, better safe than sorry!!!

I really want to see the responses from those who were RAILING against the NHC and NWS for NOT extending Hurricane Warnings to Miami Dade County.
These folks know what they are doing.
They LIVE there and weren't "missing anything" when they made the Warning from the Dade/Broward line North.
Even those at the south end of the Warning will probably not experience Hurricane conditions, but that is OK.
So to those of you who wouldn't let it go even after being asked to; Think before you type.
Some of you were obnoxious about it.
4 likes   
Personal Forecast Disclaimer:
My posts are just my opinion and are most likely not backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or storm2k.org. For official information, please refer to the NHC and NWS products.
Bottom line is that I am just expressing my opinion!!!

otowntiger
Category 5
Category 5

#8680 Postby otowntiger » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Frank P wrote:
ronjon wrote:

Well that's a pretty bold statement Hammy, but I sure hope you are right for the great state of Florida, that would make a tremendous difference if it can stay off the coast 80 mile to the east, which would keep all the hurricane force sustained winds out to sea, but man I just don't see the NNW motion you are delineating... still looks to me on average NW... one wobble to the west later on down the road could have even more catastrophic implications...

True, but I think, at least right now we have two things working in our favor: 1. The storm is not intensifying and satellite presentation looks like weakening could be occurring and 2. I definitely think it looks to be moving more north than west. I can see what looks to be a smoothed out northerly curve happening. I'm actually not seeing 'wobbles' which are more 'stair stepping' like hard left and right moves. It seems pretty smoothly curving. I know this certainly doesn't mean that serious and damaging weather does not affect the east coast but I'm beginning to think it won't be as bad as it could have been. Just my two cents.
0 likes   

Return to “2016”