Steve from Old Metairie

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

Steve from Old Metairie

#1 Postby jasons2k » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:16 pm

I know his original plan was to evacuate the wife and kids but stay and use his office as a last resort. Then he said he might be leaving after all. Have not seen him post since Sunday.

Does anyone know his status or if he is OK?
0 likes   

BC
Tropical Depression
Tropical Depression

#2 Postby BC » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:28 pm

I tried calling him just now, but I can't get through to him.. Hopefully he got out of there in time.. I'll post if I can ever get in touch with him..
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#3 Postby jasons2k » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:28 pm

Thanks BC
0 likes   

NC George
Category 2
Category 2

#4 Postby NC George » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:33 pm

He made a post late Sat nite/early Sun morning asking what items he should get from his home assuming it wouldn't be there the next day, so I'm pretty sure he finally evac'ed.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#5 Postby jasons2k » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:52 pm

NC George wrote:He made a post late Sat nite/early Sun morning asking what items he should get from his home assuming it wouldn't be there the next day, so I'm pretty sure he finally evac'ed.

Last I saw too, hope he's OK.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#6 Postby jasons2k » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:22 am

Bump. Still no word.
0 likes   

melhow
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#7 Postby melhow » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:24 am

From the "Members who were in the path of Katrina" thread:

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:08 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We got out yesterday around noon and came up to my aunt's in alexandria. Most of my family is accounted for except my brother in law in Slidell. We talked to him early this morning as water was just rising into his kitchen from the yard. My dad lived in New Orleans east and it looks like his neighborhood in Kennilworth paid like the rest of the east. Funny thing is his house has never flooded before. In the worst 16-17" over a day or two floods, it only ever lapped at the front porch.

Report we got out of Old Metairie was that it didn't flood. My brother's father in law had evacuated from the east also to his house (8 blocks from mine). But my wife said she swore she saw a familiar overpass from our neighborhood where the water was over the roofs. Either we're homeless or not. But with the levee breach, there's no telling. I live on the JP side of the 17th St. Canal where it appears the Orleans Parish side was flooded. I'm assuming they're going to have to blow some of the MS River levee to drain the Lake through the city or points east.

In New Orleans, the backside of a storm to our north is always part of the ultimate fear. They always told us the levees could handle /maybe/ up to a 3 or a very fast moving 4 but that a 5 would be it. While it looked like only some of the city was flooded today, it's now reported to be 80%. If all the reports turn out to be true and if the hidden fears become realized, this will be the new benchmark for everything. This isn't some isolated swamp community of 500 people. This is hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses. I don't even know what to say.

Steve
0 likes   

vbhoutex
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#8 Postby vbhoutex » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:24 am

We have heard from him. He is in Alexandria. It is in the members stickied thread at the top.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#9 Postby jasons2k » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:13 am

vbhoutex wrote:We have heard from him. He is in Alexandria. It is in the members stickied thread at the top.

Thank you!!
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#10 Postby Steve » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:26 am

Thanks guys. We're alive but it looks like a bunch of the family houses are either destroyed or under water. Best confirmation I can find is that my neighborhood may be the only one not yet flooded but the water is still rising in the city so it's probably a matter of time.

BC, call me later on the old lady's cell phone. Did George get out? I saw where you guys on the MS Coast got demolished. Drop me a PM.

Steve
0 likes   

Rainband

#11 Postby Rainband » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:34 am

Steve wrote:Thanks guys. We're alive but it looks like a bunch of the family houses are either destroyed or under water. Best confirmation I can find is that my neighborhood may be the only one not yet flooded but the water is still rising in the city so it's probably a matter of time.

BC, call me later on the old lady's cell phone. Did George get out? I saw where you guys on the MS Coast got demolished. Drop me a PM.

Steve
Dude all I can say is (((((HUGS))))) I was really concerned about your stubborn butt. Stuff can be replced lives can't very happy you are OK!!! :D :D :D :D :D Prayers with you and yours.
0 likes   

Steve
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#12 Postby Steve » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:36 pm

Thanks Rainband. After searching the local forums for good news all day (and there was plenty about Old Metairie), we finally got a text message in from someone who's dad is in the Air Force Reserve and was allowed back into the neighborhood. Story is 6-8' in all houses and rising an inch or so an hour - mine included :(. We had the only hopes of a family staging area since we were the only house not flooded out of my brothers, sisters and dad.

With the communications lines knocked out, it's very difficult to get in touch with anyone, so that's a trip. No one's heard from my brother in law, but we know he had a boat and probably would have taken off if necessary. My aunt in New Orleans East? We can only pray.

Jefferson Parish says they'll start letting us back in sometime after September 5th so we can come and get whatever we want and then we have to vacate for at least a month so they can completely rebuild the infrastructure (power lines, poles and such). In my mind, why bother? Do I really want a bunch of mildewed and molded clothes and contents? I saved my photos and important docs, so that's all we have. My wife is trying to figure out how to get her nursing license transferred to California so she can go make some bank while we're up either at her dad's in NE Ohio or mom's in Western New York. School is out for at least 2 months so we really don't have a lot of options. I work at a bank and can't get in touch with anyone there. So hopefully I still have a job, short term or longterm disability or that they just gave us a bunch of money. We have insurance (flood and hazard) so we'll be okay. And then we'll own a lot that should be worth a decent amount of money that we can rebuild on someday.

I guess you never really can prepare for doomsday. A lot of the national media is talking about how we were spared the catastrophy of a Cat 5 hit when the storm curved. Well it's worse. But we're alive. And we still have our faith. If I could even offer anything to anyone out there, keep those two things. Without life and faith (in whatever you believe), you don't have anything. There are hundreds of thousands of people in worse shape than I.

Steve
0 likes   

Rainband

#13 Postby Rainband » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:48 pm

Steve thanks for the response. I cannot begin to imagine what you are going through. My Prayers to you and yours and everyone else who experienced this storm. God Speed.
0 likes   

jasons2k
Storm2k Executive
Storm2k Executive

#14 Postby jasons2k » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:55 pm

Steve thanks for the reponse. I can't even imagine. Truly a life-altering event. It's good you are able to keep things in perspective. Keep us informed about how things turn out. My prayers are with you and your family.
0 likes   

KBBOCA
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter
Location: Formerly Boca Raton, often West Africa. Currently Charlotte NC

#15 Postby KBBOCA » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:02 pm

Steve, an amazing post. I'm in awe of your ability to put this in "big-picture" perspective at a time like this.

I imagine there will be many days when your faith and ability to remember what truly matters will be tested. May the Lord give you strength, comfort and clarity at such times and may He help your family to rebuild your lives.
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”