NHC Director Max Mayfield: Atlantic Bell About to Ring

This is the general tropical discussion area. Anyone can take their shot at predicting a storms path.

Moderator: S2k Moderators

Forum rules

The posts in this forum are NOT official forecasts and should not be used as such. They are just the opinion of the poster and may or may not be backed by sound meteorological data. They are NOT endorsed by any professional institution or STORM2K. For official information, please refer to products from the National Hurricane Center and National Weather Service.

Help Support Storm2K
MWatkins
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

NHC Director Max Mayfield: Atlantic Bell About to Ring

#1 Postby MWatkins » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:08 pm

This was released on the Reuters news wire a couple of hours ago.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060820/sc_ ... ricanes_dc

Hey Max is now on the record.

MW
0 likes   
Updating on the twitter now: http://www.twitter.com/@watkinstrack

Regit
Category 5
Category 5

#2 Postby Regit » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:09 pm

Very good article. Thanks for posting.

I see absolutely no reason to disagree with anything he said.
0 likes   

cycloneye
Admin
Admin

#3 Postby cycloneye » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:10 pm

Mayfield expressed puzzlement as to why the season hasn't been a little more active.

"We're actually not sure why some of these are not developing," he said.

Interesting last two sentences from him about the inactivity of the season until now.
Last edited by cycloneye on Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 likes   
Visit the Caribbean-Central America Weather Thread where you can find at first post web cams,radars
and observations from Caribbean basin members Click Here

Matt-hurricanewatcher
Category 5
Category 5

#4 Postby Matt-hurricanewatcher » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:11 pm

That wave/distrabance coming off Africa looks very good...I also think it might become something. But what has been kiling the other systems is mid level dry air+shear. IMHO.
0 likes   

MGC
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#5 Postby MGC » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:13 pm

The answer is simple. All of the disturbances have had the misfortune of being in an environment that was not conducive to TC formation. Too much shear or dry air. I think Max is right, the bell is gonna sound soon.......MGC
0 likes   

temujin
Tropical Storm
Tropical Storm

#6 Postby temujin » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:14 pm

I'm no authority on these matters, but it seems to me that there would be an incredible amount of energy in the oceans right now, since there haven't been any hurricanes yet to draw out the heat. Once storms do start to form, they stand a good chance of becoming strong because of all that untapped energy.
0 likes   

HouTXmetro
Category 5
Category 5

#7 Postby HouTXmetro » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:15 pm

I'd have to see it to believe it. 2006 seems to be marching to it's own beat and I see no reason that will change.
0 likes   
[Disclaimer: My Amateur Opinion, please defer to your local authorities or the NHC for Guidance.]

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#8 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:16 pm

yep, and I think that bell is going to sound starting this week....All the signs are there like the article says...thanx a bunch for digging this article up!
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#9 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:18 pm

I love his quote at the end

""We're actually not sure why some of these are not developing," he said.

I think that's why so many of us have had such frustrated postings. We just aren't use to this...At least I feel better knowing that we are in good company from a reputable forecaster......
0 likes   

rainstorm

#10 Postby rainstorm » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:18 pm

cycloneye wrote:Mayfield expressed puzzlement as to why the season hasn't been a little more active.

Interesting last two sentences from him about the inactivity of the season until now.

thats hard to believe he said that. even we on the board here can say dry air, african dust and shear have killed development so far
0 likes   

Regit
Category 5
Category 5

#11 Postby Regit » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:21 pm

rainstorm wrote:
cycloneye wrote:Mayfield expressed puzzlement as to why the season hasn't been a little more active.

thats hard to believe he said that. even we on the board here can say dry air, african dust and shear have killed development so far

Well I think that should tell us there might be more to it. Weather is rarely that simple anyway.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#12 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:22 pm

rainstorm wrote:

Rain, while that might be true that it SLOWS DOWN development, there have been plenty of seasons in the past there the storms still overcame these conditions(and I'm not talking about last year). It doesn't mean they aren't going to develop. It just means they may have a tougher time getting that strong, but this year, they haven't been develooping at ALL, and I think that's what he puzzled about. There's always some shear and dry air around, but most of the time, the storms have a way of getting going in spite of those conditions(at least some of them do).
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#13 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:24 pm

HouTXmetro wrote:I'd have to see it to believe it. 2006 seems to be marching to it's own beat and I see no reason that will change.

you seen no reason it will chance? How about conditions are becoming more favorable and we are heading into September? 2 very good reasons that it will change....The signs are there, so yes, there's plenty of reasons to believe it will change.
0 likes   

rainstorm

#14 Postby rainstorm » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:25 pm

i dont want to be too critical of max, but every day steve lyons has been saying shear, dry air and dust is killing development. its fairly obvious.

perhaps mr mayfield is puzzled about WHY there has been so much shear dust and dry air
0 likes   

Regit
Category 5
Category 5

#15 Postby Regit » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:28 pm

rainstorm wrote:i dont want to be too critical of max, but every day steve lyons has been saying shear, dry air and dust is killing development. its fairly obvious.

perhaps mr mayfield is puzzled about WHY there has been so much shear dust and dry air

Steve Lyons' target audience doesn't have a clue about meteorology. He's not going to get technical. If he spent minutes explaining all the things going on, ratings would fall like a rock.
0 likes   

rainstorm

#16 Postby rainstorm » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:30 pm

true, but i dont think its a huge secret why no canes have developed so far. it could be things are looking better now, however
0 likes   

wxmann_91
Category 5
Category 5

#17 Postby wxmann_91 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:32 pm

You guys do have to realize that Max Mayfield's audience is the public too. He's gonna say we have no idea why because if he explained the idea why, nobody'd care except for the .01% of the population who knows a lot about weather.
0 likes   

ConvergenceZone
Category 5
Category 5

#18 Postby ConvergenceZone » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:32 pm

rainstorm wrote:i dont want to be too critical of max, but every day steve lyons has been saying shear, dry air and dust is killing development. its fairly obvious.

I like Steve as a person, he seems like a good guy, but I can't count the number of times his predictions have been way off on storms. I know numerous times he's never called for development and then boom 2 days later there's a tropical depression out there. Steve's okay, or perhaps this just goes to show and nobody can say one way or the other...
I miss John Hope. Now there's a man who knew his stuff!!!!!
0 likes   

MWatkins
S2K Supporter
S2K Supporter

#19 Postby MWatkins » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:34 pm

Max noted that conditions in the Eastern Atlantic are favorable...which they pretty much are.

Steve L is probably talking about the western atlantic...where yep...conditions are hostile for now.

MW
0 likes   
Updating on the twitter now: http://www.twitter.com/@watkinstrack

rainstorm

#20 Postby rainstorm » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:36 pm

thats a good point. perhaps mr mayfield is talking to a alrger audience that doesnt pay attention like we do
0 likes   

Return to “Talkin' Tropics”